DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to handle this airport...

Mav Guy

Reactions
New drone/Mavic pilot here...

Went outside into my backyard to have my first flight yesterday, and had a warning from the app that there is a dirt airstrip nearby, and to fly carefully. There are a couple smaller airports around here, but non within 5 miles so was confused by that. Anyway, I downloaded and looked up my location on the B4UFly app, and sure enough, there's a small residential/neighborhood strip just about 4 miles from me. Didn't even realize this little community existed there, and I've lived here a long time.

How do I property handle this type of private air strip? Do I have to call them before I fly in my backyard, or is it below a certain class where it doesn't matter? Couldn't find the class of airport listed anywhere. I appreciate any help.

Brookeridge - Airport Information

AirNav: LL22 - Brookeridge Air Park

Last edited:
Looks like it's a Class G untowered airport, so you may be able to just call them once and explain the situation and they'll work out a letter of agreement for you.

I assume you are flying as a hobbyist. That being the case you are required to call the tower.

Hobby flights -
When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the model aircraft provides the airport operator or the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation. Model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport).

I assume you are flying as a hobbyist. That being the case you are required to call the tower.

Hobby flights -
When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the model aircraft provides the airport operator or the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation. Model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport).
If flying as a hobbyist under FAR 101 you only have to inform the airport of your activities, you don't have to get permission. (FAR 101.41) I live at a private airpark and fly on the airport so I sent a letter to the airport management saying what I was doing and to consider the notice permanent. I'm new to this forum but after reading a lot of the posts I can see there is much misunderstanding about the requirements of the two FAA regulations FAR 107 and FAR 101.

"I'm new to this forum but after reading a lot of the posts I can see there is much misunderstanding about the requirements of the two FAA regulations FAR 107 and FAR 101."

That is the one thing there is no confusion about.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird