DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to hover very low

I have a Mavic air 2 and I’m trying to get some low angle hover shots over the water. Problem is I can only hover so far down before it stops and wants to start a landing sequence. Can I achieve the shot I’m looking for or will I need to upgrade to the phantom or Mavic 2 pro so I have the ability to turn off my downward sensors? Thank you
I’ve heard of people putting electrical tape over the downward facing sensors but then there is absolutely no safety mechanism to keep your drone from accidentally going for a swim. It’s too risky for my comfort level though especially over water.

Reactions: Droniac
Hi clcoleman Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
Be aware that low over water can easily become disaster sensors can get fooled ;)
Suggestion: order wet suit for drone from phantom. Looks like awesome protection. I’m eventually going to fit my M2P with it soon. Well worth it. Godspeed

Updating the drone will not matter , the best way to get low is not to hover but to fly over decreasing your alt and paying attention to your speed, Notice how we do it with the rescue Jacket and just skim the water , you cannot do it hovering.

The longer you hover the more chance of a forced landing.

52 Seconds into the video you can see how we stay low. You can skim the water also but we recommend the Rescue Jackets as you can get away with a lot.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on Water.

We also have a video for the Air 2 but this shows how to effectively fly low across the water without a forced landing..

Cheaper than a new drone, too!

You'd have to tell us why it is so important to "hover" so low over water, esp if moving water. Getting within 3 feet or so is crazy in my world - but the drone is yours - so float it.

If you would be shooting video - then use 2x and get 10 feet above the water or something like that to have some cushion for WHEN things go wrong and I can bet they will.

@Phantomrain.org has the best overall scenario solution, but think that is not going to work for you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yaro