DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to make my drone footage look cinematic on Mavic 2 pro?

rebeldronepilot

Reactions
I've had my Mavic 2 Pro for a week and I have enjoyed flying it and getting comfortable with the controls and learning the aircraft. But now I am ready to do more than just some fun test flight jaunts over my house. The problem is my drone footage is not looking as high quality as advertised, and I know that I just need to customize the settings, but I'm not sure how to get everything set right so that I get that really crisp 4k cinematic movie looking footage. I have attached some images below as examples of what I would like my footage to look like.

My current settings right now are:
4K Full FOV 24fps
Shutter: 1/50
ISO: 100
Apeture: varies depending on light

Right now when I am viewing the footage on my computer after importing it, it looks like I could get the same quality on my iphone. I am not blaming DJI because I know what this drone can do, I just don't know what I need to fix. I know that ND filters are a big help when it comes to lighting and exposure, and I will be getting some soon. But I will be going on vacation in a few weeks and would love to have this down pat so that I can get some amazing footage at the beach! Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 4.29.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 4.29.56 PM.png
    908.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 4.30.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 4.30.58 PM.png
    882.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 4.32.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 4.32.52 PM.png
    4 MB · Views: 55
First, I would shoot at 30 fps instead of 24. Beyond that, you've included examples of what you'd like your footage to look like but you haven't said or given examples of what shortcomings you're seeing.

I've had my Mavic 2 Pro for a week and I have enjoyed flying it and getting comfortable with the controls and learning the aircraft. But now I am ready to do more than just some fun test flight jaunts over my house. The problem is my drone footage is not looking as high quality as advertised, and I know that I just need to customize the settings, but I'm not sure how to get everything set right so that I get that really crisp 4k cinematic movie looking footage. I have attached some images below as examples of what I would like my footage to look like.

4K Full FOV 24fps

Right now when I am viewing the footage on my computer after importing it, it looks like I could get the same quality on my iphone. I am not blaming DJI because I know what this drone can do, I just don't know what I need to fix. I know that ND filters are a big help when it comes to lighting and exposure, and I will be getting some soon. But I will be going on vacation in a few weeks and would love to have this down pat so that I can get some amazing footage at the beach! Thanks for the help!

All cams struggle with low light and shooting at 100 ISO is a disaster with low light.
Suggest you raise that up accordingly unless you have a perfect sun filled day.

Untill you get a better understanding of that , just use the auto and your results will be much better , than you check what the auto is doing and make small refinements if you go manual. The auto will give you a good start to draw from.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic in the Pouring Rain.

Reactions: Woodoo

4K Full FOV 24fps

4K Full FOV 24fps

Do HQ mode 30 FPS 1/60 and instead of adjusting aperture use ND filters. Aperture is to adjust depth of field and the fact that it reduces light to the sensor is more of a side effect then it’s intended purpose.

And don't forget composure, just like with photography, this can be as (or more) important at times.
Cinematic flying / filming (load of YT vids for advice), plus settings in the app to assist this (Cinematic / Tripod).
Light . . . choose blue / golden hours, and shoot in general with light behind unless going for a bit of sun glare effect / sunrises of course.

I think you mean composition, because composure is a state of well being of the body and nothing to do with photography. Though I suppose you should have good composure when flying to achieve good composition and safe flight.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Use manual settings ( mode)
25 fps/ 1/50 sec 100 iso
Use Nd filter to set the apature to f4 / 5.6
Use manual focusing and set it to focus just before infinity (about 24)
Set the white balance to sunny
Shoot in Raw format ( you can adjust the white balance in post in raw)
4K fov or hq whichever you prefer but hq normal until you’ve more experience
Set all the EXP settings to 10
Gimble pitch speed = 3
Gimble pitch smoothness = 20
Sensitivity settings=
Attitude = 100
Brake = 100
Yaw movement limit = 50
Gain settings all = 100
Good luck

Use manual settings ( mode)
25 fps/ 1/50 sec 100 iso
Use Nd filter to set the apature to f4 / 5.6
Use manual focusing and set it to focus just before infinity (about 24)
Set the white balance to sunny
Shoot in Raw format ( you can adjust the white balance in post in raw)
4K fov or hq whichever you prefer but hq normal until you’ve more experience
Set all the EXP settings to 10
Gimble pitch speed = 3
Gimble pitch smoothness = 20
Sensitivity settings=
Attitude = 100
Brake = 100
Yaw movement limit = 50
Gain settings all = 100
Good luck
How do you set Raw for video?

On the right hand side of app screen on the photo settings it looks like three sliders click on this then at the top click the camera icon then the bottom option is image format where you can choose RAW
Hope you find it

On the right hand side of app screen on the photo settings it looks like three sliders click on this then at the top click the camera icon then the bottom option is image format where you can choose RAW
Hope you find it
I've used that for photos (jpeg + raw) but didn't realize it was for video as well. Do I need to choose Raw (without jpeg) to get the raw video? Is the video stored on the SD card?

I think you mean composition, because composure is a state of well being of the body and nothing to do with photography. Though I suppose you should have good composure when flying to achieve good composition and safe flight.

Ha ha, you're right, not sure if that was a phone autocorrect thing, or I had a 'oldtimers' moment ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N