msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
mavichelp.com
Using Kittyhawk to Request FAA Authorization

Before flying in controlled airspace (Classes B, C, D, and E Surface) in the US, you must get authorization from the FAA. Kittyhawk is an approved LAANC UAS service supplier and has a feature built into their iOS/Android app that allows FAA authorization to be requested through LAANC. In most cases, requests can be submitted and approved within a few minutes.

Steps to Request FAA Authorization with Kittyhawk

Follow these steps to request FAA authorization for a flight you’d like to take right now or at some point in the near future:

1) Install the Kittyhawk app from the app store on your iOS or Android mobile device.

full

2) Tap the “Sign In” button to log into your Kittyhawk account.

full

3) Tap “Add” at the bottom and “Request LAANC Authorization” to start planning your flight.

full

4) Drag the map to the location where you’d like to fly – and then tap the map in the location where you’d like to take off. That should create a black marker on the map.

full

5) Swipe up from the bottom of the screen, tap “Get Authorization”, and choose the type of flight you’re going to take.

full

6) If this is your first request in Kittyhawk, you’ll be prompted to verify your mobile phone number.

full

Note: After entering the verification code you receive via text message, you might be prompted to enter your FAA Part 107 information. If you’re only flying recreationally, you’ll need to back out of that screen since there is no way to bypass that step.

7) Tap and drag the small circles in the corners of the green box to resize it. Make the green box large enough to cover the entire area where you’d like to fly. Tap and drag the slider to set the maximum altitude for your flight. And then tap the “Next” button to continue.

full

8) Set the date and time for your flight. And then tap the “Next” button to continue.

full

9) Review the start and end time/date for your flight. And then tap the “Next” button to continue.

full

10) Tap all of the checkbox icons on the left to agree to the terms of operation. And then tap the “Agree & Submit” button to submit your flight plan for authorization.

full

11) You’ll receive a text message when your flight has been authorized. This normally takes no longer than a minute after your flight plan has been submitted.

full

Last edited:
Is your post from an Android version or Apple version? On the Android version I have(5.4.1-74) the procedure is a bit different.

You have to press maps. Then on the next screen select the blue button on the lower left. Another screen pops up and you select Get Authorization. I have not gone further in Kittyhawk but I suspect the rest is as posted above.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Very good information!

Reactions: msinger
Is your post from an Android version or Apple version? On the Android version I have(5.4.1-74) the procedure is a bit different.

You have to press maps. Then on the next screen select the blue button on the lower left. Another screen pops up and you select Get Authorization. I have not gone further in Kittyhawk but I suspect the rest is as posted above.

I am a 107 pilot and I don't have a LAANC Authorization option anywhere in my Kittyhawk app. I have several android phones and they are all the same

I am a 107 pilot and I don't have a LAANC Authorization option anywhere in my Kittyhawk app. I have several android phones and they are all the same
As described in my post, the instructions are still working. What version do you have on your phone? I have v5.4.2-77

Last edited:
I have several Android devices I can use. The one I tested on today, a Galaxy S9+ has Android version 9. I have a Note 4 that I use as my FPV screen and a Galaxy tab S2. The Note 4 is version 6.0.1 and the Tab S2 is version 7

I want to use my Note 4 as my FPV screen and the S9+ for authorizations

Last edited:
I travel a lot. Sometimes I am, sometimes not. Today I am.... Ithaca class E2. Kitty Hawk says authorization is required but there is no option to request it. Air Map says there are no restrictions

Last edited:
Add-on question on this topic - I requested (and received) FAA approval for a recreational flight in restricted space, using KittyHawk. However, when I return to DJI Fly (I have a Mavic Air 2), the authorization does not transfer over, and I cannot take off. The app still shows "Authorization required", and when I go to the screen to import authorizations, there is nothing listed. Is there something I need to do to link KittyHawk and DJI Fly?

Add-on question on this topic - I requested (and received) FAA approval for a recreational flight in restricted space, using KittyHawk. However, when I return to DJI Fly (I have a Mavic Air 2), the authorization does not transfer over, and I cannot take off. The app still shows "Authorization required", and when I go to the screen to import authorizations, there is nothing listed. Is there something I need to do to link KittyHawk and DJI Fly?

Kittyhawk is for LAANC authorizations, which have absolutely nothing to do with the DJI Fly authorization. There's nothing to import from Kittyhawk into DJI Fly.

Depending on the type of restriction in DJI Fly, you may be able to self-authorize. Do you have a screenshot of the error/warning?

Reactions: dawgpilot
I signed on to Kitty Hawk, went through the process and received the message that LAANC is not available outside of controlled airspace. However, my takeoff point was within a quarter-mile of the heliport at the local hospital. Any ideas?

You don't need authorization if you're outside controlled airspace. Just make sure you descend if there's an air ambulance anywhere near you.

You don't need authorization if you're outside controlled airspace. Just make sure you descend if there's an air ambulance anywhere near you.

Thanks. I was under the impression that airspace was controlled all the way to the ground when that close to takeoff/landing points.

Kittyhawk is for LAANC authorizations, which have absolutely nothing to do with the DJI Fly authorization. There's nothing to import from Kittyhawk into DJI Fly.

Depending on the type of restriction in DJI Fly, you may be able to self-authorize. Do you have a screenshot of the error/warning?

Thanks for the clarification; I wrongly assumed the LAANC authorization carried over. I was struggling with the unlock through the DJI Fly app until I found a thread about manually launching (I had only used auto-takeoff up to that point). Once I started the props manually, the unlock screen came up and I was able to unlock and fly (up to the 100’ ceiling in my zone).

Using Kittyhawk to Request FAA Authorization

Before flying in controlled airspace (Classes B, C, D, and E Surface) in the US, you must get authorization from the FAA. Kittyhawk is an approved LAANC UAS service supplier and has a feature built into their iOS/Android app that allows FAA authorization to be requested through LAANC. In most cases, requests can be submitted and approved within a few minutes.

Steps to Request FAA Authorization with Kittyhawk

Follow these steps to request FAA authorization for a flight you’d like to take right now or at some point in the near future:

1) Install the Kittyhawk app from the app store on your iOS or Android mobile device.

full

2) Tap the “Sign In” button to log into your Kittyhawk account.

full

3) Tap “Add” at the bottom and “Request LAANC Authorization” to start planning your flight.

full

4) Drag the map to the location where you’d like to fly – and then tap the map in the location where you’d like to take off. That should create a black marker on the map.

full

5) Swipe up from the bottom of the screen, tap “Get Authorization”, and choose the type of flight you’re going to take.

full

6) If this is your first request in Kittyhawk, you’ll be prompted to verify your mobile phone number.

full

Note: After entering the verification code you receive via text message, you might be prompted to enter your FAA Part 107 information. If you’re only flying recreationally, you’ll need to back out of that screen since there is no way to bypass that step.

7) Tap and drag the small circles in the corners of the green box to resize it. Make the green box large enough to cover the entire area where you’d like to fly. Tap and drag the slider to set the maximum altitude for your flight. And then tap the “Next” button to continue.

full

8) Set the date and time for your flight. And then tap the “Next” button to continue.

full

9) Review the start and end time/date for your flight. And then tap the “Next” button to continue.

full

10) Tap all of the checkbox icons on the left to agree to the terms of operation. And then tap the “Agree & Submit” button to submit your flight plan for authorization.

full

11) You’ll receive a text message when your flight has been authorized. This normally takes no longer than a minute after your flight plan has been submitted.

full
Extremely helpful. Thanks.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne