DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Turnaround Time for DroneZone Altitude Authorization Requests?

MajorTom2020

Reactions
Searched but couldn't find a directly related thread. I know the FAA says "up to 90 days" for a response to an altitude request through DroneZone but does anyone have direct experience with say a 60 foot request in a 0 foot grid? And please confirm that it is not possible to request any altitude through LAANC in a 0 foot grid even if LAANC airport. I did not see that option hence the DroneZone question. Part 107 request to do roof inspection about .7 miles from end of runway class D.

I put in a similar LAANC request for a 0-foot grid while I was in San Diego for a house in the Middletown area a few months ago. The request went into limbo. It was for a family event, not commercial, but I was using my Pt 107 certification. When it stayed in review status for two days, I cancelled the request.

@majortom[/USER] Good luck!!

Searched but couldn't find a directly related thread. I know the FAA says "up to 90 days" for a response to an altitude request through DroneZone but does anyone have direct experience with say a 60 foot request in a 0 foot grid? And please confirm that it is not possible to request any altitude through LAANC in a 0 foot grid even if LAANC airport. I did not see that option hence the DroneZone question. Part 107 request to do roof inspection about .7 miles from end of runway class D.
I haven't done any Drone Zone requests recently, but two years ago I requested authorization in a 0 foot grid right in line with the Detroit City airport runway. I think I asked for 50', which was the height of an auto factory that was being demolished, but they gave me 100' and I think it only took a couple of days. One of the requirements was that I had to call the control tower before I started flying. But still keep your eyes open for low-flying planes. I had to get out of the way of one private aircraft. Also, I'm fairly certain that you can't do this through LAANC.

Usually a couple of days for a fairly routine request. I requested 300ft in a zero grid for a term of two years and got the approval within two weeks (didn't get all two years though...). But my experience is with a pretty low-traffic airport, so maybe a busier airport would have a longer turnaround time.

You should allow for at least 2 weeks to 90 days. However, with what looks like a government shut-down coming, you may not be able to get one at all.

Reactions: Dbez1
You should allow for at least 2 weeks to 90 days. However, with what looks like a government shut-down coming, you may not be able to get one at all.
I spoke with an employee at FAAHelp on Friday and he was expressing a similar concern.

FAA approval received for the requested 60 foot AGL. 16 days from submission date. Not too bad. They did change from the min available radius selectable on DroneZone of .1 mile radius to .05 mile radius. Not bad for .7 mile distance from a busy class D airport runway threshold.

Reactions: BigAl07
Western division is 14-18 days or so. Others are slightly less.

Just got an approval back for 400ft authorization in zero grid, Class C airspace good for 7 months.

Turnaround time: 11 days