DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to rollback Mavic firmware

I'm still failing in both the DroneZbreak (OSX and DUML). With OSX, I can't connect to that FTP number with or without Assistant 2 open, but assistant2 opens the drone just fine. How can I get OSX to connect to the drone so that DroneZbreak can alter it? DroneZbreak sees it and reads the mavic just fine when Assistant 2 is open, but the second I close Assistant, the connection times out with DroneZBreak. How would I solve the network/driver issue in OSX?
Thanks for all the help, fellas
Stephen

Make sure you can ftp to: ftp://192.168.42.2
If you cant, its a driver/network problem.

Did you give the mavic a static ip yet...?

you dont give the mavic an address you give the RNIS adaptor the fixed Ip address

Looking for a little help here with a firmware downgrade. Here is some background info:
I’m running Windows 10 with all firewalls and AV disabled.
I’m running Dumbledore without connectivity issues
All download, upload and firmware flashes appear to complete successfully.
When the process completes, rebooting the bird leaves me with either ESC errors or data logger errors on the DJI Go 4 app.
These can be cleared after reflashing the bird with 1.04.0100 and then upgrading to 1.04.0200.
I’ve looked at other 3rd party software, but everything seems to be dependent on Dumbledore for firmware change.
Any help or direction is appreciated.

Last edited:
Do some reading on rolling back the platinum

Dji stopped installing a SD cars so one needs to be added

the esc fault maybe due to the old firmware not having the new esc module, some people have the issue others don't

I've spent some time reading through the forums here and combed through the videos on how to perform the downgrade. I guess that question 1 is,..... Is there a difference in the firmware and downgrade procedures for a Platinum versus a Pro? I stumbled across this post on the internal flight recording system. howto:recorder-sdcard-fix [dji.retroroms.info]
Is this what you were mentioning? The firmware I'm trying to downgrade to is V01.03.0400. Thanks again.

I've spent some time reading through the forums here and combed through the videos on how to perform the downgrade. I guess that question 1 is,..... Is there a difference in the firmware and downgrade procedures for a Platinum versus a Pro? I stumbled across this post on the internal flight recording system. howto:recorder-sdcard-fix [dji.retroroms.info]
Is this what you were mentioning? The firmware I'm trying to downgrade to is V01.03.0400. Thanks again.

The firmware for the pro and platinum are the same, the Dank Downloader tool has only one entry for both the pro and platinum.

To downgrade the FW on the platinum you need to install an SD card into the quad, the pro has it already installed

I will run the downgrade process again and then make sure that I only have the flight recorder error. If I get to that point I’ll need to open the top of the mavic platinum and install an sd card, 16gb max size, and then reboot to confirm that the error is cleared.
If I get the ESC error then the ESCs in my mavic platinum are not compatible with the firmware version I’d like to use.
Assuming all the planets align and I can pull this off, I am assuming that I also downgrade the RC to the same firmware version. If so, should I do this first?

I will run the downgrade process again and then make sure that I only have the flight recorder error. If I get to that point I’ll need to open the top of the mavic platinum and install an sd card, 16gb max size, and then reboot to confirm that the error is cleared.
If I get the ESC error then the ESCs in my mavic platinum are not compatible with the firmware version I’d like to use.
Assuming all the planets align and I can pull this off, I am assuming that I also downgrade the RC to the same firmware version. If so, should I do this first?

Like I said as far as I know the FW’s are the same, as for the remote you can downgrade if you want but many haven’t bothered

armando - This is my first post here on Mavic Pilots. I signed up just to encourage you! :) I also have a MPP and have been looking into modding it.

I've done plenty of reading and have figured out that the mix and match method won't work on Platinums. ( but I'm certainly no expert )

I know that older firmwares need the SD card to write flight data to, and won't take off without it. But I was HOPING that we could just rollback to 0.700 ( not take off ) edit flight parameters, and then upgrade to 01.04.0000 ( minus the 305,306 modules ), and that it would work. Sadly, it doesn't. I saw a reply on one of digdat0's videos where someone tried that. Didn't work. He had to update everything to latest to get his bird flying again. Don't think he had an SD card installed though.

So it seems that installing an SD card is the ONLY way to mod the Platinum.

So good luck to you! I will be watching your progress :)

Although, I do hope that another method for modding the Platinum pops up soon.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you planning to mod once you are able? ( you'll get no judgement from me ) I just want to remove the height restrictions. I live in the mountains so 500m is a significant limitation. I also want to play around with the speed a bit. I don't like how slowly it descends. At the very least, I'd like to to descend just as fast as it ascends. Other than that, I just don't want to ever get stuck in DJI JAIL ;)

Again, good luck. I hope everything goes smoothly for you and please come back to post about your experience modding your Platinum :)

Reactions: JMF
If I get to that point I’ll need to open the top of the mavic platinum and install an sd card, 16gb max size, and then reboot to confirm that the error is cleared….

armando - This is my first post here on Mavic Pilots. I signed up just to encourage you! :) I also have a MPP and have been looking into modding it.

I've done plenty of reading and have figured out that the mix and match method won't work on Platinums. ( but I'm certainly no expert )

I know that older firmwares need the SD card to write flight data to, and won't take off without it. But I was HOPING that we could just rollback to 0.700 ( not take off ) edit flight parameters, and then upgrade to 01.04.0000 ( minus the 305,306 modules ), and that it would work. Sadly, it doesn't. I saw a reply on one of digdat0's videos where someone tried that. Didn't work. He had to update everything to latest to get his bird flying again. Don't think he had an SD card installed though.
Read page 3 Haloweenhamster comment:
Mavic Pro Platinum Firmware Rollback

I own a MPP too but didn't try yet.

#28 - Thanks for the link.

There are definitely people working on this problem. It looks like the ESC's are adding an extra layer of complexity.

Once the SD card is installed there's no issue with rolling back as far as you want, but I keep hearing about ESC warning or over current warnings or random glitches etc. Not quite stable enough results to make me want to jump in.

Hopefully soon someone will figure out the magic recipe to sort this out. Ideally someone will find a way to change flight parameters that doesn't involve installing an SD card at all. It's no problem to do, I'm just not in any hurry to void the warranty on something I just bought 2 weeks ago. Thanks again :)

Success! I was able to roll back the firmware on my Mavic Pro Platinum to the release I was looking for. I'm going to try to provide as much detailed information as I can in my post, but please bear in mind that this was only my experience and may not be accurate for everyone, however because I had to piece together information from several sources, I thought that I'd put everything into a single post for everyone else who might be running into the same issue.

Here is where I started:
  • Mavic Pro Platinum built in November of 2017
  • Shipped with firmware version 1.04.0100
  • Updated to firmware version 1.04.0200 before first flight.
Here is what I used:
Here's how I got it to work:
When I first started the rollback process, I was trying to go from the current 1.04.0200 back to the 1.03.0XXX version and got a wide range of errors spit back at me. When I began to step backwards with the firmware releases, the process became longer, however it was successful. I know that this process will be the subject of much debate, however this is what worked for me. Here is how I stepped backwards in the firmware downgrades.
  1. v1.04.0100
  2. v1.03.1000
  3. v1.03.0XXX - This was my last firmware downgrade
After each downgrade of the firmware, I would disconnect the bird, power up the remote and check for any system errors. If there were any errors, I would restart my laptop, and re-run the downgrade process to make sure that it was successful. Because my Mavic was built in November, there was a hardware change by DJI that prevents the downgrade beyond firmware version 1.03.1000 on Mavic Pro birds with build dates after Sept 19, 2017 and Mavic Platinum birds built after Oct 28, 2017. If you're wondering how to determine your build date, you can reference the key posted here to use your SN to identify the build info: Mavic Pro Build Info - Serial Number?. The hardware change was the exclusion of an internal sd card that was previously used to store the flight recorder information. The slot for the sd card is still there, however the card itself was excluded and the firmware after 1.03.1000 began using internal flash memory to store the data. Here is a link to the source of that information: https://dji.retroroms.info/howto/recorder-sdcard-fix

Picture of a Mavic built after the dates shown above with no sd card:
mavic-teardown-inside-jpg.29233

Picture of a Mavic built before the dates listed above with the sd card in place from DJI:
152651e7nvbwfq8sk3mxn9.png

Bottom line here is that if you are planning to downgrade your Mavic's firmware beyond 1.03.1000 you will need to check your build date to ensure that you have the internal sd card. If you don't have it, you will need to be willing to damage / brick your bird as well as void your warranty to get it done. Definitely not for the faint of heart! If you do decide to proceed and decide that the juice is worth the squeeze, then you'll need to remove the top cover of your Mavic to access the SD Card slot location. Here is a video on the top cover disassembly:
If you do decide to remove the cover and add the sd card, understand that you are doing so at your own risk and will void your warranty. Although the units originally shipped with a 4GB card, 16GB cards have been successfully tested. I would highly recommend that you get to your desired firmware through the downgrade process and confirm in the DJI GO 4 app that you only have the flight controller or sd card error before you even think of removing the first screw. Once you are there you'll want to gather a few tools to complete the process. You will need at least:
  • 1.5mm Hex head driver
  • 16GB or smaller micro sd card
  • X-Acto knife with new blade
  • Your wife or girlfirend's eyebrow tweezers
  • A lucky rabbit's foot
I hope that this post has helped and saved a few people some time when looking for the same answers I needed. I also wanted to thank Halloweenmaster and Xphantomflyer for their help in pointing me in the right direction!

Attachments

• Mavic-Teardown-inside.jpg
    Mavic-Teardown-inside.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 416
Reactions: #28
armando - Thanks for taking the time to write up such a detailed explanation. Much appreciated :)

Quick question. Are you having any glitches or side effects? In the "Mavic Pro Platinum Firmware Rollback" thread a user named superjojo is doing the same as you. But he has reported a motor current error warning and a strange glitch while landing. User M Akbar Marwan reported simiar and also the GP@ LED on the back would sometimes turn yellow instead of green.

But they were both doing the mix and match FW method. Did you do the same or just pick and older FW, like 0.700, and stick with it?

How are your ESC's behaving themselves on an older firmware?

I am not seeing any glitches so far, but I've only flown enough to get through a single pack so far. I am not seeing any motor current error messages, but in previous attempts to roll back I have had some issues with errors related to the ESCs that showed up and would not let me take off. I did not experience these when I went back to 1.03.1000 before going further back. I'm not sure why this would make a difference other than some value that was in the 1.03.XXXX versions of the firmware that was overwritten by the 1.04.XXXX versions.

I'm flashing the RC firmware this evening to get it back to the same version as the bird now. I'll keep you guys posted, but so far going back to 1.03.0400 has not caused any problems after the steps I outlined above.

armando - This is looking really good so far. REALLY good! :)

I just re-read your post 2 more times.

So initially you were all the way up to 1.04.0200, then you rolled back to 1.04.0100 - Is there any trick to doing this? What I mean is that I know you need Dumbldore/Jcase java method to rollback from 1.04.0100 to something lower. Did you have to use the same method for stepping from .200 to .100?

Once you were at 1.04.0100 you stepped down to 1.03.1000 and then from there all the way down to 1.03.0400? Do you ever go to .900 or .700 on your way to .400?

If you were able to get your platinum to happily live with 1.03.0400 with no errors, then that's already enough for many people right there! Because the errors I'm reading about seem to be caused by mixing and matching firmware modules. You didn't do any of that?

Also, did you make your flight parameter changes at .400? Why did you choose .400 over the seemingly more popular .700?

I feel very excited right now. Good job armando! :)

On windows open cmd
Set directory to where you have put DUMLrace.jar
I put DUMLrace in c:\ for easiness so just CD.. to go upto c:\
java -jar DUMLRacer.jar AC (for aircraft)
java -jar DUMLRacer.jar RC (for remote)
If you want to check that you have Java installed correctly to use this, in the cmd window, just enter "java". it should show the version and syntax, if you don't see that, DUMLrace will not either, then try LMGTFY

I was able to use the DJI Assistant to roll back to 1.04.0100. From there I used DUMLdore to go back to 1.03.1000 and tested to make sure that I had no errors. After I was able to confirm that I didn't have any problems at 1.03.1000 I went directly back to 1.03.0400. Once I confirmed that 1.03.0400 was successful, I updated the hardware and then modified the controls. I chose 1.03.0400 because that was the most recent firmware that still allowed all of the controls I wanted.

armando - That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you!

Looks like you've struck gold to me! Keep us updated in the following days/couple weeks if your bird remains error free. Good work :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Among1423