DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How To Share Video Files

Hillbilly1236

Reactions
I've just made my first short videos and was surprised at how large the files are. A 3 minute video is almost 2GB and that is not even in 4K. How do you share files like this with family and friends? They are too big to send via email.

I've just made my first short videos and was surprised at how large the files are. A 3 minute video is almost 2GB and that is not even in 4K. How do you share files like this with family and friends? They are too big to send via email.
I post them to my YouTube channel (free) and send folks a share link.... just like posting that here.

Reactions: A.O.
Yep—You Tube—You can post them 3 different ways-my friends almost demanded because to would take to long to download. Pretty easy and you can create your own channel so friends can subscribe to it

But it is not free... you tube is.
There is a free version. If you go to their home page it only shows paid versions starting from (in my case, in Europe) €6 per month, but when you try to leave the page it offers a free basic package. I'm not a member, so I can't confirm what I've read other people say, that the quality is higher.

Reactions: dirkclod
There is a free version. If you go to their home page it only shows paid versions starting from (in my case, in Europe) €6 per month, but when you try to leave the page it offers a free basic package. I'm not a member, so I can't confirm what I've read other people say, that the quality is higher.
U-tube is fine for small free low quality videos to send

Seems like the consensus is YT.

I thought learning to fly the drone was going to be the hard part but seems the hard part all focuses on taking and handling videos. So much more to learn but the videos are amazing.

Seems like the consensus is YT.

I thought learning to fly the drone was going to be the hard part but seems the hard part all focuses on taking and handling videos. So much more to learn but the videos are amazing.
I completely agree!!

All major streaming services support large videos. YouTube and VIMEO are both good choices. VIMEO is generally better quality. In all cases, expect long upload times depending on your internet service provider.

All major streaming services support large videos. YouTube and VIMEO are both good choices. VIMEO is generally better quality. In all cases, expect long upload times depending on your internet service provider.
I live in country and have satellite internet, which isn't the fastest plus the speed fluctuates quite a bit and sometimes just drops off. Can be very frustrating.

Dropbox is another resource for sharing video files that are too large for e-mailing. One can upload a video file to Dropbox and share the file with designated people who can then download the file to their computer. Basic Dropbox is free (up to 2 GB of storage). There is a charge for storage above 2 GB. It's a little confusing at first, but works fine once you get used to it. Otherwise, youtube is a good way to go. And files can be downloaded from youtube with a couple of apps.

If you’re in the Apple ecosystem iCloud sharing is an option.

I think I'm going to have to get into some editing and see if there is a way to reduce file size in the editor, for sharing. This is going to take a fair bit of experimenting to determine settings for video quality that will produce acceptable quality without creating massive file sizes or just accept the file sizes and deal with it.

As with MOST pics and video's - unless you are a pro and can take the video's / pics straight from the drone to post, they do require some "tweaking" typically.

I use Adobe Lightroom to make adjustments and then I can make them smaller in file size with that software as well. Shooting in 4k, no matter really the frame rate will take up GB's of data. The slower frame rates WILL make smaller files. I found not to shoot any video's over about 1 minute is best and IF you have video editing software - you can create a video from several video's. Add music / etc if you like.

Unless your friends and family will be watching your video's on a 4k or higher TV / screen - then you can use 1080p with little to no real difference when viewing. Again, frame rate dictates data usage, so a 25 or 30 FPS is adequate to keep file size smaller.

So, truly depends on audience that is going to watch - whether to use 4k or 1080p! Unless your commercial, a 4k video is nice to have and IF you have editing software - you can reduce file size in that software as well. 1080p will save you lots of disk space overall, so compare the two and go from there. Also get editing software if you don't have it. You'd be surprised at what a small few tweaks will do to make it a much better video / picture.

Last - I like 1080p as it offers 1-4x digital zoom on the air 2, while 4k only offers 1-2x. 4X is not great, but you can zoom way in and not have to fly so close to obstacles if you're like me and your depth perception is not great and use glasses for VLOS and watching the phone screen. Am upgrading that to a tablet for hopefully better viewing on screen versus a small phone.

Reactions: Hillbilly1236
I post them to my YouTube channel (free) and send folks a share link.... just like posting that here.
I use VIMEO "FREE" Edition. It does restrict file size per week or you can upgrade and pay for more space.

Works fine for MavicPilots too.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidwujr