DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Stitch tTogether 360 Pano Photos?

Luckyguy9

Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi all, over a year flying my mini 2, 350 flights and I'm still discovering neat features!

I just started playing with the 360 degree pano options. After the mini 2 takes the 26 photos, (pretty cool to watch it do that at low altitude) I can view them stitched together in DJI Fly on my Tripltek 8.

OK,so how do I view them on my PC? I can download all 26 photos to a directory on my PC, but I need an Autostitch program to splice them together so I get the 360 degree view . I tried "Autostitch" but that just gives me a long distorted flat panorama, not the 360 sphere view as in the DJI app.

Does anyone have any suggestions to stitch the 26 jpg photos into a spherical image that you can move around in?
Thanks

For 360º PTGui is the best stitcher, but it isn't free. You also have Hugin, wich is free and delivers nice results too.

You can also connect the phone to the PC and copy the stitched images that made the drone, they may serve you if you need a low res panorma.

Reactions: Robert Prior
I also tried to copy the stitched image, but it doesn't produce the cute "tiny planet" image. Instead it shows a heavily distorted "panorama".
Is there a program to convert this distorted image to a tiny planet?

Most 360 stitchers can make the tiny planet projection, in PTGui is called "stereographic down".

For stitching I get the best results from PTGUI Pro. They have a free trial so you can try it out.

I've also used Hugin and got good results, but I do enough spherical panoramas that I found PTGUI worth paying for.

For editing spherical panoramas I like Affinity Photo. It has a mode letting you zoom around the panorama like in a viewer, so you can easily edit the zenith and nadir. I find this particularly useful for filling in the missing sky.

For viewing online I've used Roundme.com, which is pretty good for making tours.

For creating tours and stand-alone viewing I picked up Pano2VR. You can create tours that can be viewed in browser without needing to be uploaded, or embedded in an iBook, or embedded in your own website (or Wordpress site).

For me I have never really liked PTGUI or Hugin. I have been using PanoramaStudio 3 Pro for years and find it does a better job with less fuss.

Reactions: merak75
For me I have never really liked PTGUI or Hugin. I have been using PanoramaStudio 3 Pro for years and find it does a better job with less fuss.
Since DJI fly's app already creates the spherical image by stitching the 26 photos together, is there a way to export the already stitched spherical image out of DJI Fly and onto a PC so that all I would need then is a viewer to view the spherical image?
Why bother taking all 26 pictures and having to restitch them together again on the PC?

I also tried to copy the stitched image, but it doesn't produce the cute "tiny planet" image. Instead it shows a heavily distorted "panorama".
Is there a program to convert this distorted image to a tiny planet?
You may not be able to see the actual 360 view on your PC. Try to upload it to a 360 image site such as kuula.co ... For instance here was one of mine: kuula.co/post/NH0tj

For a free and easy-to-use stitcher, try Microsoft Image Composite Editor. It's no longer supported but it seems bug free and it's very quick and does a better job than the in-drone stitching.

You can upload, store, share, and view 360 panos on Google Photos. Also a free service.

For a local computer viewer, the choices seem limited. IFSP Viewer works well, but the panning interface is a bit twitchy and it moves the image in the exact opposite direction with mouse input from every online viewer I've used.

Why bother taking all 26 pictures and having to restitch them together again on the PC?
The Fly App only stitches the Jpeg images. I use the Raw photos to get a better final image so stitching on my PC is preferred. And sometimes the App version has errors in the horizon so I can do a much better job then the App.

I tried downloading and installing Hugin, but it gave an installation error (on a 64-bit Windows 7). Will need to look into that.

In the meantime, I managed to get a tiny planet image in another way:
- download the stitched 360deg image from the DJI Fly app to the PC.
- load it into PhotoShop
- rotate image 180 degrees
- filter->Distort->Polar Coordinates
dji_export_1657138148623 tiny planet.jpg

Strangely enough, the result differs slightly from what I get in the DJI Fly app (especially the clouds section):
Screenshot_2022-08-02-08-05-51-205 tiny planet.jpg

Last edited:
Is there anyway to recreate the sphere in DJI Fly app from the 26 shots ?

I took the 360 then uninstalled Fly app, then reinstalled back and signed in, 26 shots still in the SD card for sphere is no where to be found in the album.

Is there anyway to recreate the sphere in DJI Fly app from the 26 shots ?

I took the 360 then uninstalled Fly app, then reinstalled back and signed in, 26 shots still in the SD card for sphere is no where to be found in the album.
Many stitching programs will do that. I use PTGUI Pro, which is excellent but a bit expensive. I believe Photoshop and Lightroom will do it if you have either of them (I don't). Affinity Photo will stitch panoramas (and is cheaper than Photoshop). There's a free program called Microsoft ICE for Windows that I've heard people rave about, so look for that if you have Windows.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS Coast
I tried most software out there and settled on the following process.

1. Litchi for taking the photos for a 360, usually take approx. 52 photos.
2. Microsofts ICE "Image Composite Editor" for 360 Stitching.
3. Paintshop Pro for resizing and extending the sky.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98