DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How well do Mavic Pros and Mavic airs float?

I have the DJI Refresh insurance. More worried about retrieving it if it crashes in water than the damage as they will repair/replace. Not that I fly over water a lot. I am very careful when I do.

I live in Lake County FL and have been flying my Mavic Pro with a float kit for well over a year. I have hundreds of of water take offs and landings. I even take it out on my kayak and take off and land from the water next to my Kayak. I enjoy flying off the water, but then again I am a seaplane pilot.

A couple months ago I hit a tree while paddling the Dora canal. in the crash besides braking a prop the rear float bracket came off with the rear floats. By the time I got to my drone it was floating upside down in the water by the front floats.
I dried/repaired it myself, and in the process treated the boards and connections with corrosion-X which may help protect from future water damage, and even salt water damage.

I wrote a blog post with pics and video.

Hers the Mavics camera video of the crash:

Mike

I’m surprised no one has come out with a water actived PFD for drones. Small and compact, when it hits water it inflates. I agree it won’t do much for the drone but if you have the refresh plan you must return the drone for replacement.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Thanks for this idea. I've been thinking I/d like to get some video like that.

I envy your calm water and always great flying conditions. I used to live in North Florida. Now, I'm in the Columbia River Gorge where still water and light winds are both rare.

I’m surprised no one has come out with a water actived PFD for drones. Small and compact, when it hits water it inflates. I agree it won’t do much for the drone but if you have the refresh plan you must return the drone for replacement.
Not really a PFD, but is water activated for retrieval.

Not really a PFD, but is water activated for retrieval.

Great contribution! I have been strapping getterbacks on drones for years. Even with my float kit sometimes I attach a getterback just in case.

Thanks for this idea. I've been thinking I/d like to get some video like that.

I envy your calm water and always great flying conditions. I used to live in North Florida. Now, I'm in the Columbia River Gorge where still water and light winds are both rare.

I have paddled the Columbia river, but closer to Portland than the gorge.

Currently Unavailable on Amazon. $45 on eBay.
Wow! I think I paid $13 for mine.... Maybe I should sell them on ebay! couple years old, but have never been in the water.
My basic float kit is less than $45, and my best kit isn't much more.

Mike

They float like rocks. Assuming this hasn't already happened but that you are worried about it, you could look into getting one of these to attach in case of an emergency water landing.

Dang, just catching up on this post and noticed they don’t sell the float anymore. Geez.

Dang, just catching up on this post and noticed they don’t sell the float anymore. Geez.

Not sure what happened to Getterbacks. But float kits are still available.

If anyone has had their bird recovered by one of the getterbacks or other post crash floatation devices please let us know the outcome. Thanks in advance.

I assume you are looking for how well the device worked.
Here is a video of a getterback recovery. I think this video is where I got the idea to use the rice like I did in my repair.

Mike

I live on a very narrow peninsula. So unless I want to restrict flying to 500 feet in each direction I'm over water 90% of the time. I've experienced a catastrophic failure over the water and lost a grand in the process. So when my bird is flying over water the floats are on. Their weight cuts about 8 minutes off the maximum loiter time but reduces the pucker factor considerably...cheap drone and mental health insurance.

Hey Dr Bill,

Maybe you should look into the Swell drone. Waterproof and floats...

Waterproof Drone Pioneer - Swellpro

Was close to get one, but price was to high for me.

Looked into the Swellpro too. Everything but the drone was optional...camera, payload release.

What kept me from purchasing were, less than favorable reviews, major teething problems(slow delivery, less than waterproof, overheating, not stable in the water, ad naseum) since its release. To top it off Swellpro is on its fourth(official) release in less than three years.

I love the idea and the factory options(payload release) but after getting burned by purchasing a bird that was rushed into production I'm in the wait and see mode.

However, not being a stranger to fabrication or afraid to get "my hands dirty" I'll probably build my next drone. One which was designed from the ground up to go swimming.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc