DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How well do Mavic Pros and Mavic airs float?

I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed, but how about not flying in a manner where you're going to end up in the water in the first place? That's pretty easy, actually, far easier than trying to figure out how to make an expensive electronic device float.

I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed, but how about not flying in a manner where you're going to end up in the water in the first place? That's pretty easy, actually, far easier than trying to figure out how to make an expensive electronic device float.
We usually leave it to you to address that issue.
If I lived on/was visiting the beach, I would definitely like to have something in place in case of a prop loss or any other type of failure on the Mavic and it crashed offshore. Seems like he's being wise and showing forethought to me (unless of course the incident already took place;)).

We usually leave it to you to address that issue.
If I lived on/was visiting the beach, I would definitely like to have something in place in case of a prop loss or any other type of failure on the Mavic and it crashed offshore. Seems like he's being wise and showing forethought to me (unless of course the incident already took place;)).

I agree with you,

I don't fly recklessly over water either, but it is required to get the shots i want. I bought a pontoon kit for myself (hasnt arrived yet) so that if it does crash in water I can at least retrieve it.

Reactions: MavicCF

Anything can knock these out of the skies from a runaway, to weird hardware failure to a bird strike, gps fails or compass issues. I can totally side with the OP's caution here.

PersonallyI have dji Refresh so I am not trying to save the electronics, I just need to recover the drone to get it replaced. Odds are if it hit the water something went wrong and I would want it back.

Interesting though.... I wonder if anyone has added DIY floaties to the bottom of their drone, just incase.... You could turn it into a float drone!

Edit: Is see you can get a pontoon kit... That seems like a good option for those flying over water often.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Always better to be safe than sorry. Bought floats (round orange styro things) and tested it in a small pond (again to make sure).

Not intending to land or operate from water, but in the unlikely event that the bird needs to come down at least there is some time to get to it and some chance to make it all right.

Not sure about all of you, but as a pilot if you're going to operate over water you are best if you have a plan. In a fixed wing plane it's easy enough to consider your altitude and glide out of trouble. Rotor, needs it's own considerations if you're even going to be close to water. I'd recommend some sort of "plan B" in case you lose power, partial power, or the bird runs out of lift for any reason and "drifts' over the water due to wind (should also have been considered in pre-flight) but again, better to be safe than sorry.

Pontoons are a simple, cheap investment and for the price of a drone or the time you'd be "offline" waiting on it to be fixed . . . .well worth the investment.

I have a couple of the GoPro orange floaties to prevent your GoPro from sinking...just zip-tie them to the sides of the Mavic Air and it won't sink. Bottom might block the downward sensors.

Like others have said, the pro sinks like a brick as soon as the motors shut down. Went swimming for mine last week. o_O

I suspect you're going to find that pontoons and floats won't protect your drone from water damage in a crash situation because the bird will surely be upside down when it hits the water. Granted, you may be able to recover it if it will float, but it will still be in need of plenty of repair/replacement. Also consider what kind of body of water. A floating drone on a river or creek will just float on out to sea. I would prefer that it sank as I may be able to get to the bottom, but I could never chase it down stream. Flying over water is putting it at fatal risk, period. I still do it, though for the sake of the footage.. Nothing like flying the obstruction free corridor provided by a creek or river.

Reactions: Mike_Flys

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998