DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Antarctica : Rescue Jackets / Floats now Required.

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Antarctica is doing everything they can to protect there Environment !

This includes that the IAATO now Requires any Drone Pilots to use Floats or as we call them the Rescue Jackets.
we have been selling a lot more of those than in the past , an now we know why.

Mavic 3 Series Air 3 / Air 2S /. Mavic 2 Series Phantom 4 V2 Series

We partnered with there Dispatch and Offer our Stream Line Rescue Float / Jacket which now includes the Wet Suits for those flying in Antarctica.

The Phantomrain Drone Floats have a Stream Line Design and take only seconds to apply , an have proven a pefect choice for your DJI Drone .

Phantomrain.org
Email me at [email protected]
so we can get you up an running.

Screenshot 10-13-2020 10.15.51.jpgCleanShot 2023-12-04 at 07.42.07@2x.jpgCleanShot 2023-12-04 at 07.44.41@2x.jpg
Mavic 3 Rescue Jacket | Phantom Rain

Last edited:
Good idea. I don't want to see any whales killed by drones sinking to the bottom of the ocean!

We have sold mostly to Scientific and Research teams , but there are other parts of Antarctica that can be flown.

The main take away is that drones have been sinking in the water now for to long an there trying to slow it down.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water.

Reactions: zeusfl and Torque
Since very few drones are allowed down there, I wonder exactly how many of them have sunk to the bottom of the ocean? I doubt enough to be a trend that needs slowing. I've been there as a photographer and was not allowed to fly a drone there. Too bad....

Reactions: js47 and shb
When it comes to Antartica home of the Alien breeds , I think 1 is to many .

They might get tired of hearing a thunk on there ships.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain... Land on the Water , and Spy on Alien Craft.

Since very few drones are allowed down there, I wonder exactly how many of them have sunk to the bottom of the ocean? I doubt enough to be a trend that needs slowing. I've been there as a photographer and was not allowed to fly a drone there. Too bad....
I doubt a sunken drone would pollute the water at all. This is a stupid regulation. Look at all the other crap that is pumped into our oceans. Like sunkin ships containing all kinds of stuff more toxic than a drone.

You have to keep in mind that the Weather is some of the most severe on the planet, high winds, freezing temps , Glaciers , rough seas , and once you grasp that , it makes total sense as to why there asking drones pilots to take some Precautions.

I also dont think Pollution has anything to do with keeping the Enviroment Safe considering all the Sea Creatures in the Ocean that might just want to swallow one up. Inside there is that battery and we have all seen the Crocidile that ate the Drone and Steam came out of his head an eyes , it was not a pretty sight.

when you have Artic weather you will have drone pilots doing the best they can to get past and push thru the Elements , and this is something we have been helping them with for the last 6 years.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water, and aware that drones can fry brains.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
Antarctica is doing everything they can to protect there Environment !

This includes that the IAATO now Requires any Drone Pilots to use Floats or as we call them the Rescue Jackets.
we have been selling a lot more of those than in the past , an now we know why.

Mavic 3 Series Air 3 / Air 2S /. Mavic 2 Series Phantom 4 V2 Series

We partnered with there Dispatch and Offer our Stream Line Rescue Float / Jacket which now includes the Wet Suits for those flying in Antarctica.

The Phantomrain Drone Floats have a Stream Line Design and take only seconds to apply , an have proven a pefect choice for your DJI Drone .

Phantomrain.org
Email me at [email protected]
so we can get you up an running.

View attachment 170737View attachment 170739View attachment 170741
Mavic 3 Rescue Jacket | Phantom Rain
In video #2, I can't figure out just why you are so concerned with the pair LEOs in their patrol cars, sitting there behind your car; pardon me if I say, it seemed there was a note of fear or trepidation in your narration regarding them.

I presume that since you're flying a drone which requires, at least, registration, if not — since you're obviously promoting a (your) business online — Pt.107, everything you're doing is legal, & those LEOs would or should have nothing to say, aside from questions out of curiosity.

If I were in your place, I would have included a slow, casual flight around behind your car, not necessarily over them, but maybe hovering for a bit, with your camera facing them, making sure that they knew that you were watching them, too. Perhaps, with a doughnut suspended from a thin line…? ;)

On another note, I've been tossing an idea around, considering the way life jackets are worn & used for people, & that conventional styles tend to be bulky &/ restrictive, & there are a few types that are much closer to a mere vest, but auto-inflate upon hitting the water, or are activated manually with a cord.

The auto-inflation function being safer in the instance someone were knocked overboard, unconscious, & the life jacket automatically inflating.

Thus, like your “rescue jackets”, not necessarily keeping the drone afloat & being able to land & takeoff again from the water, but like in your video #1, keeping them from sinking to the bottom, & remaining afloat enough to be retrieved, instead of unrecoverable.

My idea was more like the auto-inflating life jacket — say, something like a bright neon-coloured balloon or plastic bladder, similar to a parachute for toy rockets, but more fully enclosed, only enough of an opening for water to get in to activate a dry chemical if submerged — think, baking powder, for instance — & if the drone were to hit the water & begin to sink, the bladder would unfurl, & water would activate the chemical, generate gas (CO2) & the drone float back up, &/ remain on the surface, with enough of the neon-coloured bladder showing above the surface to make it visible.

That idea of auto-inflating rescue float, would also be re-usable, again, like the toy rocket parachute.

I think that it would also be lighter & more compact, & not detract from the flight abilities of the drone as much.

I don't have the initiative or inclination to pursue the idea, but since you're obviously interested in similar things… ;)

Auto inflation has been done , we used a few in our early days , as always there is some video of it but I will post a picture from years ago:

CleanShot 2023-12-10 at 14.34.43@2x.jpg. We started with 1 canister and Lost our phantom 4 Pro in the lake when the Canister did not go off.

We than tried again with 2 Canisters, and we lost our Second Phantom 4 Pro it seems that the colder the water the more apt they were not to work correctly.

I made a post regarding this happening. Thus why i made the Rescue Jackets as they were amazing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne