DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How will RID be Utilized by Law Enforcement?

Human nature being what it is, I suspect that cops will try out the new toy and if nothing is found to warrant attention, then they will lose interest.
As far as calls in - I dunno about your town or country but in mine the cops can't even be bothered to come out for a burglary or any minor infractions.
Just as a note, ours was also a town that reduced the # of cops and budget. They finally saw the error of their ways but I think the cops got discouraged and lost a lot of their G.A.S.

I have an Autel Lite+ that doesn't have RID already installed. I'll use that if I find it necessary.

1) AM I RIGHT, doesn't the RID transmission only come from the drone????

2) DARKSeifer (post #7) says "...but with RID transmitting at 1km, you are screwed...". Does RID really transmit that far????

Yep, the drone is flying, so it emmits RID all around from a high unobstructed area, it's basically an ideal emission point. Remember that RID doesn't communicate with your device, it just sends the data all around for anyone to pick up under the WiFi protocol.

If this device that doesn't even have a high gain antenna can catch the signal from 1Km, with a dedicated high gain and amplified antenna you should be able to pick drones from further distances. RID is only a little package of data, so it's easy for those packages to reach further than video signal, for example.

Reactions: Don Testme
Yep, the drone is flying, so it emmits RID all around from a high unobstructed area, it's basically an ideal emission point. Remember that RID doesn't communicate with your device, it just sends the data all around for anyone to pick up under the WiFi protocol.

If this device that doesn't even have a high gain antenna can catch the signal from 1Km, with a dedicated high gain and amplified antenna you should be able to pick drones from further distances. RID is only a little package of data, so it's easy for those packages to reach further than video signal, for example.
Thanks

I know police, if behind you, autoscan your plates, but not always. If the computer says a driver has outstanding tickets you can be disciplined, ie ticketed or warned. Police can also sit on the side of the road to give speeding tickets. They also will drive with traffic to look for people driving in a drunk or wreckless manner or even speeding. And more.

Will RID simply be used when law enforcement sees a drone doing something wrong. or will they actively lock onto your drone's RID signal and see how far, how high, how fast, how you are flying and where you are flying your drone simply if they pick up your RID signal accidentally or purposefully?

How Far will RID transmit from your drone in feet? Suppose you are illegally flying way above the 400 ft limit. Will RID be picked up at the 1600ft limit of DJI drones?

ETC ETC.

If anyone has any answers or other ideas please add to the thread. Please be mature and simply factual. Do0n't harass each other or nitpick.

Thanks Everyone

Don
I know a Barney Fife in my little city (~25,000) was asking people for their Part 107 certificates for no good reason, something about flying over people at the beach which he thought was somehow ok with a 107. I really hate to see what he'll do with remote ID, probably either tackling me at the beach or showing up at my house with the SWAT team. (No, I wasn't flying over people.)

Reactions: thispilothere
In my area, I do know that our law enforcement currently have an active Drone Unit, but I don't know if that's good thing or bad thing for us pilots if there's any confrontations. My hope is that as long as I'm flying legally, they will vouch for me against the random Karen/Ken encounters. So finger-crossed.

Chances are good most LEO's know very little about drone laws unless they have dealt with it for some reason. If RID helps keep folks operating within the rules, I personally don't see it as a bad thing. I always figure that folks who worry about IRS agents, are probably cheating on their taxes in some way. People who worry about red light cameras, are probably the ones running the red lights, and so on. So, I know there's been lots of discussion on RID, but I don't LEO's going out of their way unless they are alerted in some way.
uh....<cough>...no. people are worried about some morons coming and harassing them while flying legally. As a side note, people are afraid of other Government Agencies and/or policies and laws for many reasons. It does not mean that they are doing something illegal.

Your Red camera is a good example. My son got a ticket from a Red camera a few years ago. I was driving with him. He went through the red light because a fire truck, police cars, and ambulances were coming up behind us. My son had to make a decision to let them through. So he went through the light to let the EMS and fire trucks pass through. Well, he got a ticket. He won in court but it cost him two days of work (prep time and court time). If a LEO was there they would have never given him a ticket because they would have seen what was developing. In fact they did not since he let them through and they seemed appreciative for that.

Also,, people in general that take a high horse on subjects tend to think that their poop does not stink. Just a final thought.

I guess we will all have to just wait and see what develops when RID becomes actively used by LE and Some of the public. I have a feeling most of the public won't know about the RID app and its ability to identify the first known position of the pilot.