DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need some clarity on RID info...again!

Player-Pe

Reactions
I've read the info on the FAA site about RID, and although my drone is sub-250g, I'm still P107 certified and will fully comply when my module arrives...due to the fact that I may get asked to fly commercially in the future. However, I'm scratching my head over this part from the Federal Register site:

1697405640804.png

So does this "discretion" means that a pilot confronted by law enforcement could be asked to show proof of purchase (receipt?) of RID module to determine if he/she has actually taken steps to be compliant? And if not, could be deemed as not willing to comply? Or am I simply overthinking the issue?

could be asked to show
You may be asked, but it's up to the FAA if any citations will be issued. Local Law Enforcement can only enforce the launching and landing location.

I've read the info on the FAA site about RID, and although my drone is sub-250g, I'm still P107 certified and will fully comply when my module arrives...due to the fact that I may get asked to fly commercially in the future. However, I'm scratching my head over this part from the Federal Register site:

View attachment 169188

So does this "discretion" means that a pilot confronted by law enforcement could be asked to show proof of purchase (receipt?) of RID module to determine if he/she has actually taken steps to be compliant? And if not, could be deemed as not willing to comply? Or am I simply overthinking the issue?
The passage you quoted is from over a year ago and it pertains to specific direction given to drone manufacturers (DJI, Autel, Skydio...etc) to stop making drones without standard RID. They move the date to December 2022 and since then, all new drones built and sold in America have standard RID if they are over 249g. That particular enforcement policy deferral has now expired.

Reactions: Player-Pe

View attachment 169188

NON-LEGAL ADVICE FOLLOWS

With regard to the current deferred enforcement policy period applicable to pilot regarding RID, please check with your state laws and an attorney familiar with the laws in your area if you need advice on how to handle a drone-related confrontation with a non-federal law enforcement officer. You will be asked if the topic comes up. You may or may not be demanded to produce anything. Just like anything else in America, you are never forced to comply however there could be legal consequences. Still, you are overthinking the issue. Can't tell you what to do, I know what I would do but if you want my opinion, just let me know. ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1