DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID Delayed enforcement is official

pilotinstitute

Approved Vendor
Reactions
IMPORTANT REMOTE ID ANNOUNCEMENT
The FAA finally made a decision on Remote ID enforcement.

(short version) The FAA will exercise its discretion in determining whether to take enforcement action through March 16, 2024. If you are waiting for your module to ship, you're good. If you tell the FAA inspector "Screw the FAA", you won't be good.
The information is currently in the Federal Register for Public Inspection and will be final in the Federal Register on Friday.

(FAA version)
The Remote ID operational compliance date remains September 16, 2023.
For noncompliance with the remote identification operating requirements applicable to unmanned aircraft, which occurs on or before March 16, 2024, the FAA will consider all circumstances, including:
Unanticipated issues with the available supply and excessive cost of remote identification broadcast modules
Unanticipated delay in the FAA's approval of FAA-recognized identification areas
As a result, the FAA will exercise its discretion in determining whether to take enforcement action through March 16, 2024
Drone pilots who are unable to comply with the broadcast requirement of the Remote ID Rule will now have until March 16, 2024, to equip their aircraft
After March 16, 2024, operators who do not broadcast Remote ID could face fines and suspension or revocation of pilot certificates.
The FAA recognizes the unanticipated issues that some operators are experiencing:
The FAA has received significant public feedback regarding remote identification requirements, including multiple requests for an extension of the September 16, 2023, remote identification operational compliance date
The FAA has received hundreds of inquiries through emails, phone calls, and in-person questions about the remote identification operational compliance date
The FAA has also received feedback from operators, including numerous public safety agencies, about difficulties in obtaining firmware updates to some existing models of unmanned aircraft to activate standard remote identification capabilities and make them remote identification compliant
The FAA anticipates that the supply of remote identification broadcast modules, resolution of firmware issues, and approval of FAA-recognized identification areas will increase in the next six months

Please note that this link will be different starting Friday 9/15 when it is posted to the Register for good.

Thanks for sharing. I received an email from the FAA myself

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Appreciate the update Vic. I am good with RID and compliant with all of my drones, but I am glad for this deferment to help those who are awaiting their modules and still coming to terms with it.

Reactions: AMann
IMPORTANT REMOTE ID ANNOUNCEMENT
The FAA finally made a decision on Remote ID enforcement.

(short version) The FAA will exercise its discretion in determining whether to take enforcement action through March 16, 2024. If you are waiting for your module to ship, you're good. If you tell the FAA inspector "Screw the FAA", you won't be good.
The information is currently in the Federal Register for Public Inspection and will be final in the Federal Register on Friday.

(FAA version)
The Remote ID operational compliance date remains September 16, 2023.
For noncompliance with the remote identification operating requirements applicable to unmanned aircraft, which occurs on or before March 16, 2024, the FAA will consider all circumstances, including:
Unanticipated issues with the available supply and excessive cost of remote identification broadcast modules
Unanticipated delay in the FAA's approval of FAA-recognized identification areas
As a result, the FAA will exercise its discretion in determining whether to take enforcement action through March 16, 2024
Drone pilots who are unable to comply with the broadcast requirement of the Remote ID Rule will now have until March 16, 2024, to equip their aircraft
After March 16, 2024, operators who do not broadcast Remote ID could face fines and suspension or revocation of pilot certificates.
The FAA recognizes the unanticipated issues that some operators are experiencing:
The FAA has received significant public feedback regarding remote identification requirements, including multiple requests for an extension of the September 16, 2023, remote identification operational compliance date
The FAA has received hundreds of inquiries through emails, phone calls, and in-person questions about the remote identification operational compliance date
The FAA has also received feedback from operators, including numerous public safety agencies, about difficulties in obtaining firmware updates to some existing models of unmanned aircraft to activate standard remote identification capabilities and make them remote identification compliant
The FAA anticipates that the supply of remote identification broadcast modules, resolution of firmware issues, and approval of FAA-recognized identification areas will increase in the next six months

Please note that this link will be different starting Friday 9/15 when it is posted to the Register for good.
One of the things the FAA doesn't address is delays in software updates for RID Compliance. I have been on chats with DJI and found that several of my drones should have updates by December 31st. I hav e no reason to purchase a module, because there is no indication that the module will beat the software update, but I don't want to be in violation of RID. While DJI isn't publicly addressing the software update timeframes when I chatted with them this is what I found:

Air 2 by 12/31/23
Mavic Pro 2 by 12/31/23
Mini 2 by 12/31/23 for certain serial numbers that can be checked with them. Only need by part 107 pilots due to weight.

This is helpful but it would have been good if we got some guidance o whether we need to buy a module if software updates are planned. I find that the FAA's respnces are sometimes too ague which leaves them leeway at their discretion instaed of a hard and fast rule. It seems like they are almost saying it's ok not to comply until march, but not really. I want to comply, not because I like the rule but there are too many rebels in the field. I don't want to be one of them.

One of the things the FAA doesn't address is delays in software updates for RID Compliance. I have been on chats with DJI and found that several of my drones should have updates by December 31st. I hav e no reason to purchase a module, because there is no indication that the module will beat the software update, but I don't want to be in violation of RID. While DJI isn't publicly addressing the software update timeframes when I chatted with them this is what I found:

Air 2 by 12/31/23
Mavic Pro 2 by 12/31/23
Mini 2 by 12/31/23 for certain serial numbers that can be checked with them. Only need by part 107 pilots due to weight.

This is helpful but it would have been good if we got some guidance o whether we need to buy a module if software updates are planned. I find that the FAA's respnces are sometimes too ague which leaves them leeway at their discretion instaed of a hard and fast rule. It seems like they are almost saying it's ok not to comply until march, but not really. I want to comply, not because I like the rule but there are too many rebels in the field. I don't want to be one of them.
They talk about delayed firmware updates in the reasoning mentioned in our article. This is wording supplied to us by the FAA's Communication Office.

Appreciate the update Vic. I am good with RID and compliant with all of my drones, but I am glad for this deferment to help those who are awaiting their modules and still coming to terms with it.
More importantly, if you don't have a module coming your way but instead waiting for DJI firmware update at the end of the year to arrive and deliver standard RID, you should be able to still fly in the meantime.

More importantly, if you don't have a module coming your way but instead waiting for DJI firmware update at the end of the year to arrive and deliver standard RID, you should be able to still fly in the meantime.
That's also covered in the deferment. No worries!

Reactions: mavic3usa
Duplicate threads merged to help keep the discussions all in the same thread :)

Allen

…While DJI isn't publicly addressing the software update timeframes when I chatted with them this is what I found:

Air 2 by 12/31/23
Mavic Pro 2 by 12/31/23
The Mini 2 was not included for firmware RID compliance on the list DJI published in July. As a Part 107 owner of a Mini 2 I wanted to know if my serial number was included for this firmware-based compliance.

I found a new DJI help center article which has the info for determining if your Mini 2 can be upgraded to RID - see Section 2.9

Lots of other useful info there too.

Note to recreational pilots: your under-249g drones such as Mini 2 do not need to broadcast a Remote ID signal. Only Pt. 107 pilots need to be concerned with RID for under-249g drones.

I have a Mavic 2 and a Mavic 2 Zoom. I also have a DJI Smart Controller, DM500. From what I can tell from the DJI User Guide, I should be safe to fly now by updating the Smart Controller and the drones will be updated by the end of the year. Does anyone see something different by reading the User Guide? Thx

Due to yesterday's "Enforcement Deference" you're perfectly legal until 3/16/2024. Since the FW update to enable RID for the Mavic 2 series is expected by the end of December of 2023 you'll have plenty of time to download and install the new Firmware once it is released to the public.

Since the new FW isn't out yet, there's really nothing more for you to do until it is released later this year.

Reactions: Tjalbina and SethB
Due to yesterday's "Enforcement Deference" you're perfectly legal until 3/16/2024. Since the FW update to enable RID for the Mavic 2 series is expected by the end of December of 2023 you'll have plenty of time to download and install the new Firmware once it is released to the public.

Since the new FW isn't out yet, there's really nothing more for you to do until it is released later this year.
According to the User Guide, the Smart Controller was updated last year to be RID compliant. Do you know if I am now RID compliant since my Smart Controller has the updates? Thx

According to the User Guide, the Smart Controller was updated last year to be RID compliant
The Smart Controller was last updated in November of last year. And it has since been discontinued by DJI. Which guide are you referring to?

Also, I'm not sure any remote controller could make an aircraft compliant since the aircraft emits the RID signal.

They talk about delayed firmware updates in the reasoning mentioned in our article. This is wording supplied to us by the FAA's Communication Office.

So would you fly comfortably with drones like the air 2 until Dec. 31st when the updates are scheduled on their communication?

The Smart Controller was last updated in November of last year. And it has since been discontinued by DJI. Which guide are you referring to?

Also, I'm not sure any remote controller could make an aircraft compliant since the aircraft emits the RID signal.
It's in the User Guide with the link posted above in Section 2.7. When I spoke with DJI, they said that if you have that controller, they will provide the updates to make it RID compliant. It says that it has the GNSS built in.

When I spoke with DJI, they said that if you have that controller, they will provide the updates to make it RID compliant
You definitely will need to update the firmware on both the remote controller and aircraft if you're using a remote controller with an integrated GNSS system (like that guide explains). However, I think that firmware update is only needed to update DJI Fly on the remote controller. I don't think support was suggesting that update alone will make you RID compliant.

Above that section of the guide, they linked to this page showing the drone models that support RID. If your drone is on that list and you have the latest firmware on your Smart Controller, then you're golden.

Reactions: BigAl07
You definitely will need to update the firmware on both the remote controller and aircraft if you're using a remote controller with an integrated GNSS system (like that guide explains). However, I think that firmware update is only needed to update DJI Fly on the remote controller. I don't think support was suggesting that update alone will make you RID compliant.

Above that section of the guide, they linked to this page showing the drone models that support RID. If your drone is on that list and you have the latest firmware on your Smart Controller, then you're golden.
I have a Mavic 2, Mavic 2 Zoom and a Smart Controller. I hope between them, I have something that works. Thx

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13