Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

They're coming...

Droning on and on...

Reactions

DJI delivery drone gets US FAA nod for Remote ID compliance

dji-delivery-drone-carrier-flycart-30-new-launch.jpg

From the article:
"The drone has a maximum payload capacity of 30 kg in dual battery mode and a maximum range of 16 km with a full load. Equip the aircraft with only one battery, and you can increase the payload capacity to 40 kg."​
Impressive.

and let us not forget the Iphone hunters with high powered rifles.
Amazon will have a tough time in Texas.;)
Yeah, why wait until the package is on the porch when you can just shoot it out of the sky? Near zero chance of getting caught, too.

:-D

DJI delivery drone gets US FAA nod for Remote ID compliance

dji-delivery-drone-carrier-flycart-30-new-launch.jpg

From the article:
"The drone has a maximum payload capacity of 30 kg in dual battery mode and a maximum range of 16 km with a full load. Equip the aircraft with only one battery, and you can increase the payload capacity to 40 kg."​
Impressive.

"Bring it on Mothertrucker!!"

No, seriously. ;)

I'd be cool to have a heavy lift DJI drone deliver my new DJI drone via Amazon air delivery pending weather conditions from Mother Nature. :D

Nope. RID is a big part of the solution.
RID is part of the equation, but there are many other options to be studied before we push the panic button. They can adjust altitudes for different classes of aircraft, or even create corridors like they do for Class B airspace. Urban areas will likely feel the impact of these controls.

RID is part of the equation, but there are many other options to be studied before we push the panic button. They can adjust altitudes for different classes of aircraft, or even create corridors like they do for Class B airspace. Urban areas will likely feel the impact of these controls.

I think this inevitable, and RID will be part of the necessary technology enabling these new airspace restrictions. Much finer-grained restrictions can be made when everything in the sky below 400' knows everything else's altitude, position, heading, and speed.

Also real-time dynamic constraints based on class... Hypothetical future: Delivery drone flying overhead @400' AGL. The class carries with it a 200' separation "bubble" that causes you to have an automatic 200' ceiling while flying recreationally below. Your DJI drone will automatically enforce this.

Now, there's a lot that can be picked apart here. Don't bother – it's a simple example I made up to illustrate something possible with RID that's not right now. It's not even half-baked. It's a concept illustration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Limewood
I have not read anything that says remote ID has any capability to keep the vehicles from colliding into each other. I thought it was only a way to ID a device to its owner. Please point me to where I can read more about this capability. thanks

14 CFR § 89.315 - Minimum message elements broadcast by remote identification broadcast modules

RID broadcasts the GPS location, absolute altitude, and speed of the drone in addition to unique identifying information. And more (like the control station location, among other things).

This information is all that's needed for two aircraft to make adjustments to avoid each other by either changing altitude, flight path, or both. Future automated flight controllers will talk to each other to coordinate avoidance. The standards for this protocol are actively under development right now.

One thing is for sure, there's going to be a lot of horses busting through fences when those things start buzzing by. My Mavic 3 gets them going pretty good and I'd bet those things are WAY louder!

I think we all know network RID is coming but we never stopped registration or transmit RID so there is nothing we can do about it at this point. :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne