DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID Delayed enforcement is official

I have a Mavic 2, Mavic 2 Zoom and a Smart Controller. I hope between them, I have something that works. Thx
Your Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom, and original Smart Controller don’t yet support RID as written for Sept. 16.

However, these specific drones/controller are on DJI’s list for updated firmware which will fully support RID “on or before 12/31/2023”.
Concerns about this late action by DJI, well after the Sept. 16 deadline, and the slow supply of external RID Broadcast Modules are what prompted the FAA to defer strict enforcement of RID specifically for people like @Rocket1lf who are caught between manufacturers and FAA.

To summarize:
* Your Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom drones don’t support RID today, and won’t do so by Sept. 16.
* DJI committed a firmware update by Dec. 31 which will support RID.
* FAA has extended a grace period to March 16, 2024 for those of us waiting for these late RID firmware updates.

Pilots like @Rocket1lf and me are good to fly under this grace period, but we’d better update the firmware on such drones as soon as the RID update is available.
Unfortunately, neither of those models are on the current list.
As MSinger noted, the update on your RM500 Smart Controller is good, but does not fulfill all the RID requirements.
The Mavic 2 have not yet been issued manufacturer’s certificates, because they don’t yet support RID.

So would you fly comfortably with drones like the air 2 until Dec. 31st when the updates are scheduled on their communication?
I'd fly it until 3/16/24. That's how long discretionary enforcement is put off until.

Your Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom, and original Smart Controller don’t yet support RID as written for Sept. 16.

However, these specific drones/controller are on DJI’s list for updated firmware which will fully support RID “on or before 12/31/2023”.
Concerns about this late action by DJI, well after the Sept. 16 deadline, and the slow supply of external RID Broadcast Modules are what prompted the FAA to defer strict enforcement of RID specifically for people like @Rocket1lf who are caught between manufacturers and FAA.

To summarize:
* Your Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom drones don’t support RID today, and won’t do so by Sept. 16.
* DJI committed a firmware update by Dec. 31 which will support RID.
* FAA has extended a grace period to March 16, 2024 for those of us waiting for these late RID firmware updates.

Pilots like @Rocket1lf and me are good to fly under this grace period, but we’d better update the firmware on such drones as soon as the RID update is available.

As MSinger noted, the update on your RM500 Smart Controller is good, but does not fulfill all the RID requirements.
The Mavic 2 have not yet been issued manufacturer’s certificates, because they don’t yet support RID.
Sounds Right.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weblloyd