DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Statement for Remote ID (7/1/2023) It states many will NOT have to buy a module and have a Firmware update FYI

Reactions: GregE
I decided not to wait to find out if my older models would be supported. I bought the Mavic 3 Classic, and the Mini 3 Pro, to replace my Mavic 2 Pro, and my Mini 2, and sold both of them to a friend who's just starting out.
I, also, picked up the Mini 3, for its extended flight times utilizing the "Plus" Model batteries (Ya gotta love 48+ minute flights).
By changing my line-up, there'll be no external modules for me!
Curious, do the models you fly now have a SDK for 3rd party app developers?

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
Curious, do the models you fly now have a SDK for 3rd party app developers?
No SDK is available for the Mavic 3 yet, and, I don't think they have any plans to release one anytime soon.
I've heard that a Mini 3/Mini 3 Pro SDK is in development, but, I'm not 100% on when it might be released.
If none becomes available for either model, then I'll have no use for my Litchi application anymore, which would kinda suck.

I have looked around for the attachable modules and no one has any in stock. So whats up with that? It doesn't look like very many people will be compliant on September 16th.

I have looked around for the attachable modules and no one has any in stock. So whats up with that? It doesn't look like very many people will be compliant on September 16th.
Most of the compliance will come from standard RID rather than a broadcast module. Which is the way it should be....drones should be grandfather'd in and allowed to phase out.

While that makes perfect sense, we are talking about the government and federal agencies. according to what I have read and saw in videos by the FAA, it affects all drones over 250 grams, So all of my mavics are subject to the regulation.

Some one needs to make a strobe and RID together...
I wouldn't buy that. If the strobes fail then I'm stuck using my RID with dead LEDs. Also what if I want to fly with multiple strobes, rather not pay for multiple RIDs. But I guess if someone makes a tiny inexpensive made in America gadget which gets FAA approved, it will definitely sell if they can ship ahead of the deadline.

Reactions: anotherlab
I wouldn't buy that. If the strobes fail then I'm stuck using my RID with dead LEDs. Also what if I want to fly with multiple strobes, rather not pay for multiple RIDs. But I guess if someone makes a tiny inexpensive made in America gadget which gets FAA approved, it will definitely sell if they can ship ahead of the deadline.
The noise from the LEDs would interfere with the RID module. Now wait a minute, that might be convenient after all.

From DJI forum:

DJI, the global leader in civilian drones and creative camera technology, is dedicated to providing our valued customers with important updates regarding compliance with the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA)remote identification (remote ID) regulation.

Remote ID refers to a drone's ability to transmit identification and location information during flight, which can be received by relevant parties. By implementing remote ID, the FAA aims to enhance situational awareness, streamline airspace management, monitor compliance, and support law enforcement efforts. According to FAA, all drone pilots required to register their UAS must operate their aircraft in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023.

All DJI drones manufactured after September 16, 2022, such as Mavic 3 Pro, Mavic 3 Classic, Inspire 3, and DJI Mini 3, all have built-in remote ID capabilities. For drone pilots operating other DJI models to ensure compliance with the remote ID requirements, they have three options:

1. Update the Drone’s Firmware: Several of DJIs latest and most popular drone models have obtained, or will soon receive firmware updates to support remote ID functionality. These updates guarantee that you can adhere to the FAA's remote ID regulations.
2. Purchase a Separate Broadcast Module: In cases where certain drone models cannot receive firmware updates for remote ID, customers have the option to purchase a separate broadcast module. This module can be retrofitted onto your drone and broadcasts identification and location information as required by the remote ID rule.
3. Fly within FAA-Recognized Identification Areas (FRIAs): FRIAs are specific locations recognized by the FAA where drones can operate without the need for remote ID transmission.

While we strive to support as many customers as possible, certain older drone models cannot receive firmware updates for remote ID due to hardware compatibility limitations. For owners of unsupported drone models, we encourage you to consider purchasing a separate broadcast module to ensure compliance with remote ID regulations.

Below outlines the status of the Remote ID compliance of DJI’s consumer drones:

Drone Model Name

Broadcast Module Needed?

No​

No​

No​

No​
Mavic 3 Cine​

No​

No​

No​
Inspire 3​

No​
Mavic 3 Pro​

No​
Mavic 3 Pro Cine​

No​
FPV

No; Firmware upgrade will available by August 31, 2023 at the latest​

No; Firmware upgrade will available by September 30, 2023 at the latest​

No; Firmware upgrade will available by December 31, 2023 at the latest​

No; Firmware upgrade will available by December 31, 2023 at the latest​
Phantom 4 Pro v2.0​

No; Firmware upgrade will available by December 31, 2023 at the latest

At DJI, we are passionate about driving the drone industry forward while ensuring safety and compliance. We appreciate your support and understanding as we navigate the evolving landscape of drone regulations.

*I hope this helps all and is true as I got it.*
So much for my original Mavic Pro ...

Same thing for my Mavic pro, and the Mavic 2 pro that I own. This is pure BS, The regulation shouldn;t go into effect until there are means to comply or most of us will be flying non-compliant due to the resources to comply not being available. I do not think that the FAA is equiped to handle the mass enforcement that may be necessary to get it where they want to. I think everyone learned from Covid how reckless the government is. It will be interesting.

Same thing for my Mavic pro, and the Mavic 2 pro that I own. This is pure BS, The regulation shouldn;t go into effect until there are means to comply or most of us will be flying non-compliant due to the resources to comply not being available. I do not think that the FAA is equiped to handle the mass enforcement that may be necessary to get it where they want to. I think everyone learned from Covid how reckless the government is. It will be interesting.
Mavic 2 Pro
No; Firmware upgrade will available by December 31, 2023 at the latest
That says the Mavic 2 Pro will have a firmware update by December 31, 2023 and not need a module.

So by December 31, 2023 1/2 my drones will be compliant, so I can't legally use 1/2 of them unless I spend $200-300 dollars when the FAA said that it would only cost us $50 when they passed this pos regualtion without know the ripple effect that it will cause. Lying bunch of bureaucrats.

So by December 31, 2023 1/2 my drones will be compliant, so I can't legally use 1/2 of them unless I spend $200-300 dollars when the FAA said that it would only cost us $50 when they passed this pos regualtion without know the ripple effect that it will cause. Lying bunch of bureaucrats.
At your age you should probably try to stay calm and patient. Otherwise it could cause a coronary. God forbid we have to follow rules and regulations. You went off on something you were incorrect about with one of your drones. Then went off blaming bureaucrats for lying? 🤣 Not sure how you would expect something released in 2016 would or could be compliant with things in 2023. I think we're lucky the Mavic 2 Pro is/will be.

Last edited:
The trouble is that people want to follow the regulations for safety reasons. You may not be following the impact that this has on the whole remote pilot community, it also affects all aircraft over 250g. That would include model airplanes etc. The FAA sold this on the idea that it was a minor cost to the public not realizing the mess that they created by not waiting until a viable system was in place to accomidate the mass amount of hobby aircraft. I don't believe that I made an incorrect statement about my aircraft, if so please correct me. As for my age, I am calm, how do you think I go to be this old?

At your age you should probably try to stay calm and patient. Otherwise it could cause a coronary. God forbid we have to follow rules and regulations. You went off on something you were incorrect about with one of your drones. Then went off blaming bureaucrats for lying? 🤣 Not sure how you would expect something released in 2016 would or could be compliant with things in 2023. I think we're lucky the Mavic 2 Pro is/will be.
I agree as well, the idea to include Mavic 2 (when it previously was not included) is brilliant and unexpected and will put a big dent in the number of serious drones that will comply by the end of the year. Whether the cost is $50 or $200, the cost is minimal compared to what others face when government regulations go into effect. Imagine if you had a fleet of taxis and they needed back up cameras or you have a bunch of school busses and anti-lock brakes were mandatory or if you were a private school and metal detectors at all entrances or every bank has to install bulletproof glass at all teller counters or every church has to have two defibrillators on site and inspected monthly. RID is a drop in the bucket (no offense to the commercial operators with huge fleets).

The trouble is that people want to follow the regulations for safety reasons. You may not be following the impact that this has on the whole remote pilot community, it also affects all aircraft over 250g. That would include model airplanes etc. The FAA sold this on the idea that it was a minor cost to the public not realizing the mess that they created by not waiting until a viable system was in place to accomidate the mass amount of hobby aircraft. I don't believe that I made an incorrect statement about my aircraft, if so please correct me. As for my age, I am calm, how do you think I go to be this old?
You stated that your M2P was not supported for RID. As for the price I'm sure if you buy now it will be way more expensive. Wait till it's mandatory and then complain if needed. Also why throw politics into it when it hasn't even happened yet? Either way. Carry on.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne