DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will DJI update FAA Remote ID firmware announcements as they become available?

Cooner

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Any idea if DJI will update their official FAA Remote ID announcements as the firmware becomes available for any particular model or will it be necessary to just connect the drone to the DJI Assistant 2 software to manually check? I have an MA2. As per their official announcement (DJI Statement for Remote ID (7/1/2023) It states many will NOT have to buy a module and have a Firmware update FYI) I should be able to get the compliant firmware update by September 30, 2023 at the latest. Was just looking for the quickest / easiest way to know when to download and install the firmware. Hoping to get compliant and back in the air ASAP. Additionally, any suggestions as to the best app to install on phone to test Remote ID compliancy?

These are my suggestions: Closely monitor this forum to stay up to date on when the Air 2 will get the software update. Your drone will alert you when it is ready (by notification the next time you use it after the update is available) but you can get all the details you need from the forum or from the official DJI forum when the time is right.

Technically there is no getting "back in the air" as you are legally allowed to fly without an external module while you waiting for the software update containing standard RID. DJI has until March so unless there is some other reason that prevents you from flying, I suggest you carry on with your hobby normally as nothing has changed for you at this time. Once you get the software update, personally I wouldn't bother with the "testing" piece. Unless you are curious, I don't think pilots have an obligation to test for "compliancy" if your aircraft has been issued a Declaration of Compliance by the FAA. As a pilot, you should not fly your drone when you are aware the drone or remote ID is not functioning properly but that's about it. Don't overthink this.

I assume you are working on the premise that while FAA Remote ID requirement goes into effect today, the FAA will not "enforce" the requirement until next March if the drone flyer is waiting for firmware to become available. Just being paranoid on this end. Naturally the weather is perfect today for drone flying out here in the Kansas boonies.

The DJI forum will post the firmware and release notes as soon as they are live. I suggest going there for the latest info.

Last edited:
Reactions: StantonZ
Any idea if DJI will update their official FAA Remote ID announcements as the firmware becomes available for any particular model or will it be necessary to just connect the drone to the DJI Assistant 2 software to manually check?

You'll need to watch the Mavic Air 2 downloads page for new firmware update releases. Even if the FAA adds the Mavic Air 2 to this list or DJI updates their thread, you won't actually be compliant until DJI makes the firmware update available for download. And if you're flying with a mobile device that connects to the Internet, DJI Fly will notify you when a firmware update is available.

I assume you are working on the premise that while FAA Remote ID requirement goes into effect today, the FAA will not "enforce" the requirement until next March if the drone flyer is waiting for firmware to become available. Just being paranoid on this end. Naturally the weather is perfect today for drone flying out here in the Kansas boonies.
That's the assumption. Otherwise, why the notification from the FAA?

The DJI forum will post the firmware and release notes as soon as they are live. I suggest going there for the latest info.
This is what I do...even for "normal" releases. I haven't updated firmware for awhile, and I have learned there is no benefit to being first with firmware updates (especially when you can't revert to a previous release)! The "Remote ID" update will definitely be one that I'll wait for others to verify before implementing (but happy when it happens).

Any idea if DJI will update their official FAA Remote ID announcements as the firmware becomes available for any particular model or will it be necessary to just connect the drone to the DJI Assistant 2 software to manually check? I have an MA2. As per their official announcement (DJI Statement for Remote ID (7/1/2023) It states many will NOT have to buy a module and have a Firmware update FYI) I should be able to get the compliant firmware update by September 30, 2023 at the latest. Was just looking for the quickest / easiest way to know when to download and install the firmware. Hoping to get compliant and back in the air ASAP. Additionally, any suggestions as to the best app to install on phone to test Remote ID compliancy?
Screenshot_20230927-000314.png
It is time.

I used the DJI Assistant 2 software on my computer. I downloaded and installed the firmware upgrade for my MA2 with no issues. I did this a couple of days ago. Now I just have to work though the FAA RID number update on their website and I should be done.

Reactions: PlaneCrazyy
I updated today and now see the Remote ID SN. Went to FAA web site and found my profile location and phone needed updating. I made that update but was not able to update my inventory (MA2) registration with the RID serial number. I heard that it takes 14 days before you can make another update, but I thought that was for inventory updates and not Profile updates.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne