DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID for Mavic 2 Pro

astroprojector

Reactions
Hi There,

I am using M2Pro to fly site surveys. September 16 is quickly approaching. As I understand, DJI will release firmware for the M2PRO that has the Remote ID functionality, but it will be sometime in December. Do I need to buy a Remote ID module until the firmware is available. If yes, does anyone know which one to buy?

Thanks

Hi There,

I am using M2Pro to fly site surveys. September 16 is quickly approaching. As I understand, DJI will release firmware for the M2PRO that has the Remote ID functionality, but it will be sometime in December. Do I need to buy a Remote ID module until the firmware is available. If yes, does anyone know which one to buy?

Thanks
The short answer for now is yes you do. Please check the forum for lots of other posts already covering this topic. There are a wide range of comments and feedback but the consensus is we are not likely to get the sw update from DJI prior to the deadline. Several recommendations follow on which broadcast module to buy but apparently they are mostly out of stock or backordered. Please continue to monitor this forum for the latest developments.

Do we think DJI's commitment to December for the M2P update is trustworthy? Based on that, and the nearly $200 cost for a module, I've decided to wait. Most of my photography is land-based, and that can continue. Plus, I believe Vic Moss thought there was some chance that the FAA would relax enforcement until updates were available. As I remember, this was his guess, but not based on hard info.

Reactions: RemoteFlyte
Do we think DJI's commitment to December for the M2P update is trustworthy? Based on that, and the nearly $200 cost for a module, I've decided to wait. Most of my photography is land-based, and that can continue. Plus, I believe Vic Moss thought there was some chance that the FAA would relax enforcement until updates were available. As I remember, this was his guess, but not based on hard info.
I believe DJI commitment to providing RID updates to M2P is trustworthy since there are a ton of those drones on the market, probably more Mavic 2's than anything else. It's a big deal if they don't deliver.

We had a webinar on this Wednesday and there will be no altering or enforcement grace period for the September 16th date. Just FYI

Reactions: Torque
I believe their commitment is trustworthy, it just takes a fair amount of time to get the engineering work approved, scheduled, tested, and released. The hardware should be capable of supporting RID, but they have to work with the amount of storage space for the firmware changes and make sure that it doesn't break any existing functionality. And it all has to be scheduled with ongoing engineering work for their current product line and for future products.

The timing is not helpful, but it's where we are now.

A2 ID firmware end of Sept. But my Phantoms will have to wait for a reasonable priced RID. So close but so far no good options.

If you’re using a Mavic 2 pro to do surveys and flying with Litchi, or something like that, I would be inclined not to do the DJI RID update in December. Who knows what effect it might have on the SDK for Litchi and others to use? Personally, I got a DroneTag BS RID module and am planning on just sticking to that until the full affects of the update are known. Seriously, after what DJI did with the SDK on the 3 series Mavics, who is to say they wouldn’t lock Litchi out on other drones using new updates as well?

Last edited:
If you’re using a Mavic 2 pro to do surveys and flying with Litchi, or something like that, I would be inclined not to do the DJI RID update in December. Who knows what effect it might have on the SDK for Litchi and others to use? Personally, I got a DroneTag BS RID module and am planning on just sticking to that until the full affects of the update are known. Seriously, after what DJI did with the SDK on the 3 series Mavics, who is to say they wouldn’t lock Litchi out on other drones using new updates as well?
The SDK has been out for the Mavic 2 Pro for a long time. There's no software update for RID that is going to change that. Litchi won't be affected except for the requirement that RID must be operational in order to take off since it is built in.

I'll be sticking with the Drone Tag Beacon on my M2P and calling it GOOD TO GO! No need for FW updates etc. Just my own personal preference tbh.

The SDK has been out for the Mavic 2 Pro for a long time. There's no software update for RID that is going to change that. Litchi won't be affected except for the requirement that RID must be operational in order to take off since it is built in.
What’s to keep DJI from disabling it? They are already on the way to making Litchi obsolete since you can’t even buy OEM batteries for the M2P anymore and can’t use it for their new Mavics.

What’s to keep DJI from disabling it? They are already on the way to making Litchi obsolete since you can’t even buy OEM batteries for the M2P anymore and can’t use it for their new Mavics.
Because it's already out and 3rd party developers can use the version that they have.

Doesn't DJI still sell M2 batteries?

Hi everyone – I wanted to see how other Mavic 2 owners are faring with the recent Remote ID firmware updates.

I recently updated my Mavic 2 Pro and controller to the latest firmware version and installed the latest version of DJI Go 4. Everything installed successfully and did not run into any problems. I do not have the smart controller – I use either an Android or iOS cell phone for my display.

When I look through all of the software settings in the DJI Go 4 app, I can see the Remote ID identification number. Before I begin a flight there is a message on the display stating “Remote ID functionality normal”, however there is a red warning triangle next to it. The aircraft still appears to fly normally. (Another user on a DJI forum posted a similar question regarding the red warning triangle, but did not receive much assistance from a DJI tech)

I did about a dozen test flights at different distances and heights, and every now and then I will get a short blip on the “Drone Scanner” software on an Android phone showing the RID number for no more than a few seconds, and that’s about it. Out of all these flights the RID only briefly appeared about 4 times. I also tried scanning for the RID wi-fi signal using a tablet computer as well as a laptop and couldn’t detect anything.

There is a fellow out of Denmark with a YouTube channel called “Tech Drone Media” and he recently posted an informative video about setting up the RID on a Mavic 2. Shortly after that he posted another video about how the “Drone Scanner” app works and was using a Mavic Air 3 for the demo. I contacted him and requested if he could do a similar experiment using the Mavic 2 he just activated, but informed me that he could not get the drone to transmit the RID signal and show up on the app. I am beginning to wonder if the RID technology in the Mavic 2 just isn’t as good as some of the newer models being manufactured today.

I'm considering using an external module, as the results I've been having with the built-in technology in the M2P are pretty disappointing.

Any feedback from other Mavic 2 users would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wouldn't be surprised if the RID implementation on the Mavic 2 isn't the best, after all the drone wasn't designed for it. It took DJI several months to go back and address it and I'm sure the people who worked on that drone aren't the same who made the update. But it's not your fault, I wouldn't worry about it since there isn't much more you can do. The drone has the DoC and your drone will lift off which means it is functioning "properly" so not much more you can do.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13