DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the industry/community ready for Remote ID?

pilotinstitute

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Hi Folks,
I would like to ask for your help with 45 seconds of your time. We are trying to find out if the UAS community is ready for Remote ID. We are hoping to gather meaningful data to understand what will happen on September 16. Here's the link to the survey, thank you in advance for your help. I will share the results here once we have statistically significant data.

Greg

Thanks for doing this survey, pretty short and to the point. I missed it at first that you can always choose as many answers as you like for every question (which was the majority for me) but I was hoping for one final question that would ask me if I thought we were ready (which I would have answered No).

Reactions: LoudThunder
*** This post is ADMIN Approved ***

Hi Folks,
I would like to ask for your help with 45 seconds of your time. We are trying to find out if the UAS community is ready for Remote ID. We are hoping to gather meaningful data to understand what will happen on September 16. Here's the link to the survey, thank you in advance for your help. I will share the results here once we have statistically significant data.

Greg
Great survey! Hope feedback goes to the FAA! In my personal opinion, the industry is NOT ready! I find it odd that EVERYONE knew Remote ID was coming for the past 2 years, yet firmware is not ready for compliant drones yet, or drones listed as compliant with firmware has been revoked by the FAA, AND the add-on approved by the FAA are out of stock and you have to back order to be received months from now past the September 16th deadline.

Great survey! Hope feedback goes to the FAA! In my personal opinion, the industry is NOT ready! I find it odd that EVERYONE knew Remote ID was coming for the past 2 years, yet firmware is not ready for compliant drones yet, or drones listed as compliant with firmware has been revoked by the FAA, AND the add-on approved by the FAA are out of stock and you have to back order to be received months from now past the September 16th deadline.

Yes everyone knew RID was coming but the final RID Specs were released much later than that. You can't build a house until after you have the blueprints in hand.

I'm not taking up for the manufacturers but facts do matter a lot.

Good survey.

My guess is that many (most?) recreational drone pilots will simply not comply with the mandate; it's good that they included that as an option on the survey ("that" being answer 1E, "I do not plan to comply with Remote ID") but I'm not so sure a lot of the people who do that are going to fill out this survey and admit it. This would be consistent with what I suspect current behavior is...we all know plenty of folks just ignore the existing regulations (they even brag about it here), why should anyone expect them to start following the rules on 9/16/2023?

We'll see in a few weeks (or maybe the FAA will kick the can down the road). Me, I'll be compliant (but probably not until my first flight post 9/15).

Yes everyone knew RID was coming but the final RID Specs were released much later than that. You can't build a house until after you have the blueprints in hand.

I'm not taking up for the manufacturers but facts do matter a lot.
If that is the case, then the FAA needs to push back the deadline to give the manufacturers a chance to catch up!

Hi Folks,

Greg
I only affects you Americans. The impact will be barely noticeable.

Well if you have a recent DJI you are already complying and there's nothing you can do about it...
Not necessarily.

I have a Mini 3 Pro, which most would consider a "recent DJI" drone. It is not broadcasting remote ID, because I never installed the firmware update that turned that on (I stopped updating firmware last winter and have not updated anything since then)...though I do plan to update it to be compliant once the mandate is in force.

I bet there are a lot of Mini 3 Pros being flown around with the original firmware that they came with - with remote ID off. Some folks just don't update stuff, either out of ignorance (what's firmware?) or for other reasons (hey, it still works, no reason to mess with updates). So yeah, if you've updated your firmware (or bought a drone produced later that came with remote ID already turned on), then yep, it's not a trivial task to disable remote ID once it's there. But those manufactured and sold earlier continue to work just fine with no remote ID broadcasting.

Reactions: LoudThunder
The FAA might see this, but the question is; will they do anything about it?
RID modules at a reasonable price are not available, unless I missed them. I have two drones that I can switch the module back and forth, but $159 seems a little high for something that is going to be mandated. The fun is being drained out of drone flying.

Reactions: Starz
Yes, you missed this one.

Yes, you missed this one.
Thanks, and nice price. Horizon Hobby is 45 min from me. However, since I have two drones, I want one that I can easily take from one and Velcro to the other. Not going to get into the wiring of my Mavic Pro or P4P.

A Limey here who visits the beautiful US as often as he can and I have a MA2. As I understand it I will be getting a software update to wake the RID up next month? Have I got that right?

Reactions: awraynor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_