DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How's the waiver process these days?

kodiak1120

Reactions
I submitted a waiver a while back to shoot a real estate job across the Delaware River from PHL. It was within PHL's class B airspace, but perpendicular to the main runway, and about three miles out. I never heard anything from the FAA until almost a year later. I told them I didn't need the waiver anymore. I have not submitted one since. I understand the process has improved though.

I recently was contacted about doing a rather large project about three miles from a Class C airport. How long will it take to get a response these days?

PHL now has Low-Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC), which means you can get instant approval/denial when using an app like AirMap. Brush up your airport against this page here: FAA Facilities participating in LAANC. If it is not on the list, then you will have to do an airspace use authorization manually.

I did that recently for a Class D area. It was submitted in August, and approved in October. Definitely allow for 90 days for processing.

Reactions: kodiak1120
PHL now has Low-Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC), which means you can get instant approval/denial when using an app like AirMap. Brush up your airport against this page here: FAA Facilities participating in LAANC. If it is not on the list, then you will have to do an airspace use authorization manually.

I did that recently for a Class D area. It was submitted in August, and approved in October. Definitely allow for 90 days for processing.

Thanks... I just read up on this. The airport in question is listed, so that will make it much easier.

For the airports not listed in LAANC yet, apparently you should be applying for an airspace authorization, not a waiver. According to the FAA, authorizations are approved much quicker than waivers. I recently had an authorization approved in less than a week for a Class D airspace area that wasn't in LAANC yet.

For the airports not listed in LAANC yet, apparently you should be applying for an airspace authorization, not a waiver. According to the FAA, authorizations are approved much quicker than waivers. I recently had an authorization approved in less than a week for a Class D airspace area that wasn't in LAANC yet.
Did you do this electronically through the FAA Drone Zone? What was your experience in terms of completing the form

Did you do this electronically through the FAA Drone Zone? What was your experience in terms of completing the form

Yep, through the Drone Zone site. My first and only experience went pretty smoothly this past month.

I got LAANC to fly at 200' well into BOS Class B almost instantaneously, right under an approach route where I know for a fact the avg plane is at 1500'

Now if we could do something about these BS 107.29 denials.....

Reactions: dawgpilot

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralph.smith.mckenzie@gmai