DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HOWTO: Installing Google Play and other applications on the Smart Controller

plextech

Reactions
Hi all - in my short time on this site, I've noticed some posts that state that you can't install Google Play (or other Android applications) on the Smart Controller. This is just not so. All the Smart Controller is, really, is a standard OEM tablet with a custom control surface (buttons, dials, joysticks), a radio, and a modified version of Android 7.1, all sitting in a box with the DJI logo on it. I haven't opened mine up, but I'll lay money on the custom interface stuff simply plugging into an internal USB port on the board. Anyway, it's just an Android tablet, and as such, of course you can run Android applications on it.

First, a disclaimer: I'm operating from memory here, as I'm not going to wipe my controller and do it all over again, so I hope I haven't left anything out. Also, if you do something dumb and brick your box, then you're on your own, kiddo. There endeth the warnings.

I've included 2 files in this post. I've just downloaded them now from the 'net and they shouldn't be any different from the original files I used to set up my Smart Controller, which are a long way away at the moment on the file server in the office, as I'm currently out on the road. You can search for "Google Installer 2.0 apk" and "Device ID apk" yourself and use what you find if that caveat scares you off, otherwise just unzip the included files and use them :)

1. Copy the two files onto a USB stick or an SD card, and insert said memory device into the Smart Controller. An alternative is to use the built-in web browser, search for the files, and download them directly into the Downloads directory on the Smart Controller.
  2. Tap on the built-in Apps->File Manager on the Smart Controller, navigate to the memory device you have just inserted (or, alternatively, the Downloads directory), and click on google-installer-2-0.apk to install it.
  3. Google Installer will now appear in Apps. Tap to launch it.
  4. Google Installer will prompt you to confirm each package it wants to install on the Smart Controller. Every time, click Install and then Done, and continue to the next package. Do not open any package before the entire process is complete.Google Installer.jpg
  5. Some versions of Google Installer are in English, some in Chinese. I hope I've downloaded the correct version.
  6. Back in Apps->File Manager, click on Device+ID.apk to install it.
  7. Click on Apps->Device ID. Record the number shown under Google Service Framework (GSF):GSF Number.png
  8. The reason you need to record this number is that Google Services will have a slight brain fart in that it will detect the Smart Controller as a "non standard" system and will constantly nag about that to you. The solution is very simple. Go to https://www.google.com/android/uncertified and enter your GSF Device-ID into the Android ID field. Then click Register and you're done.
  9. Reboot the Smart Controller and launch Apps->Play Store. You should now be able to sign in normally and install whatever you wish, providing it will run on Android 7.1.
  10. "Th-Th-The, Th-Th-The, Th-Th... That's all, folks!"
screen dump.png

Attachments

• DJI SC Tutorial Files.zip
    705.6 KB · Views: 201
  • Google Installer.jpg
    Google Installer.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Google Installer.jpg
    Google Installer.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Reactions: dawaske
The more info, the better. Also, don't forget that either joystick can act as the cursor direction control where applicable.

Reactions: FASTFJR and ff22
I've had the google services installed for quite some time, Have you actually gotten Pix4D to connect? I haven't had any luck with it, likewise Drone Deploy doesn't work either, you can't even install it from the google play store as it says it's incompatible, sideloading it doesn't work either.

Don't know what the story is for Pix4D. I installed v3.13.0 of Dronedeploy, and although it does install OK, it wouldn't proceed past the get started page when I ran it. On the other hand, I found that v2.81.0 would install and run OK as it took me to the sign-in screen. I don't have an account so I didn't go past that point, but at least it seems to work. Looks like 3.13.0 requires Oreo.

Perhaps this will work for you? Don't know what the differences are, feature/bug wise:

Dronedeploy 2.81.0

Failing completely for me.
GSF ID registered, verified as showing correct, still cant sign in or do anything as the uncertified prompt keeps appearing.

Edit:- uninstalled Play store then reinstalled and it worked after a reboot. Seemed the first one didnt stick.

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
I hope you don't mind a link to additional info on installing the Google Play store on the Smart Controller. I used the method outlined and have had no problem. Again, not all Google app store apps will work but others do including Google Maps, Google earth and other mapping software and things that rely on location data.

Was having trouble, so I followed your directions and did the factory data reset, then all went well. Thanks to both of you for these.

Reactions: ff22
I tried to install it, but all I keep getting is this message: API:InternalFirebaseAuth.FIREBASE_AUTH.API is not available on this sevice

For anyone that's upgraded their firmware to .650, you'll notice that it breaks Google Play. Although slightly inconvenient, I had to do a factory reset and install the Google stuff and my existing apps all over again. As all of my large data sets (OzRunways, HEMA Explorer, etc.) are on the SD card, it wasn't a big deal.

For anyone that's upgraded their firmware to .650, you'll notice that it breaks Google Play. Although slightly inconvenient, I had to do a factory reset and install the Google stuff and my existing apps all over again. As all of my large data sets (OzRunways, HEMA Explorer, etc.) are on the SD card, it wasn't a big deal.
My Google Play still works after the firmware update.

mine craped out, cant be bothered to install it all over again, never had the need for it really as everything I needed was/is on my phone anyway,

Hi all - in my short time on this site, I've noticed some posts that state that you can't install Google Play (or other Android applications) on the Smart Controller. This is just not so. All the Smart Controller is, really, is a standard OEM tablet with a custom control surface (buttons, dials, joysticks), a radio, and a modified version of Android 7.1, all sitting in a box with the DJI logo on it. I haven't opened mine up, but I'll lay money on the custom interface stuff simply plugging into an internal USB port on the board. Anyway, it's just an Android tablet, and as such, of course you can run Android applications on it.

First, a disclaimer: I'm operating from memory here, as I'm not going to wipe my controller and do it all over again, so I hope I haven't left anything out. Also, if you do something dumb and brick your box, then you're on your own, kiddo. There endeth the warnings.

I've included 2 files in this post. I've just downloaded them now from the 'net and they shouldn't be any different from the original files I used to set up my Smart Controller, which are a long way away at the moment on the file server in the office, as I'm currently out on the road. You can search for "Google Installer 2.0 apk" and "Device ID apk" yourself and use what you find if that caveat scares you off, otherwise just unzip the included files and use them :)

1. Copy the two files onto a USB stick or an SD card, and insert said memory device into the Smart Controller. An alternative is to use the built-in web browser, search for the files, and download them directly into the Downloads directory on the Smart Controller.
  2. Tap on the built-in Apps->File Manager on the Smart Controller, navigate to the memory device you have just inserted (or, alternatively, the Downloads directory), and click on google-installer-2-0.apk to install it.
  3. Google Installer will now appear in Apps. Tap to launch it.
  4. Google Installer will prompt you to confirm each package it wants to install on the Smart Controller. Every time, click Install and then Done, and continue to the next package. Do not open any package before the entire process is complete.View attachment 79393
  5. Some versions of Google Installer are in English, some in Chinese. I hope I've downloaded the correct version.
  6. Back in Apps->File Manager, click on Device+ID.apk to install it.
  7. Click on Apps->Device ID. Record the number shown under Google Service Framework (GSF):View attachment 79391
  8. The reason you need to record this number is that Google Services will have a slight brain fart in that it will detect the Smart Controller as a "non standard" system and will constantly nag about that to you. The solution is very simple. Go to https://www.google.com/android/uncertified and enter your GSF Device-ID into the Android ID field. Then click Register and you're done.
  9. Reboot the Smart Controller and launch Apps->Play Store. You should now be able to sign in normally and install whatever you wish, providing it will run on Android 7.1.
  10. "Th-Th-The, Th-Th-The, Th-Th... That's all, folks!"
View attachment 79395
you are a legend. I was going around the twist as i couldn't cast to a google chrome cast from my Smart Controller until i did the above. I couldnt get the GSF as it wouldnt display it like your blurred out one. But it worked anyway. thanks

I hope you don't mind a link to additional info on installing the Google Play store on the Smart Controller. I used the method outlined and have had no problem. Again, not all Google app store apps will work but others do including Google Maps, Google earth and other mapping software and things that rely on location data.

Followed this EXACTLY and it worked perfectly, after updating SC to latest .700 system

Going to try to follow step by step tonight, I'm usually pretty good with this type of stuff so fingers crossed lol..

Question through, if all goes well and I get google/google play added to my smart controller, will then updating my controller to work with my Mavic Air 2 via DJI assistant screw up my google set up?

Should I install the MA2 update at any particular step as to not screw things up?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

There are valid reasons. For example, previously purchased Litchi from the Play Store and don't want to have to pay again using the "supported" Amazon method.

cannot get this google install to download at all... spent the last 4 hours and ziltch!! very fustrating as i now have to try install all my other apps back again

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy