DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hudson Valley New York

I live in the New Paltz area. There are some spots that have great views of the Gunks. That pull off / photo area on 44/55 near Minnewaska would be a great spot. Speaking of that, if anyone wants to fly let me know. I have a Spark and would love to check out a Mavic Air or Pro. I am having the itch to upgrade, but keep surprising myself at how impressive the Spark is. Just wish it had a little more range and battery life. Thanks

I live in the New Paltz area. There are some spots that have great views of the Gunks. That pull off / photo area on 44/55 near Minnewaska would be a great spot. Speaking of that, if anyone wants to fly let me know. I have a Spark and would love to check out a Mavic Air or Pro. I am having the itch to upgrade, but keep surprising myself at how impressive the Spark is. Just wish it had a little more range and battery life. Thanks

I actually flew out of the pull off on the other side of the mountain on “52”. Next time I’m planning to fly in that area I’ll shoot you a message before hand.

Reactions: johnsctt78
According to that FAA map application (B4UFly), most of fishkill and all of wappinger falls is restricted including Beacon.

According to that FAA map application (B4UFly), most of fishkill and all of wappinger falls is restricted including Beacon.

Looks like due to proximity to Dutchess County Airport. If you have a part 107, they are part of the LAANC authorization system so you can electronically get permission to fly there, pretty much instantly via Airmap, etc. If you are recreational (section 336), you'd need to call and notify Dutchess County first if you are within 5 mi of their airfield.

Reactions: BigRey

Well they aren’t restricted you just need to take the proper actions. Where I fly at in Beacon is Long Dock Park. If you use the FAA app it’s only in proximity of the Middle Hope airport. Middle Hope Airport is unattended and does not have a control tower. Plus DJI Geo Zones wouldn’t let me take off right away if it were a completely restricted area.

0ec51c28ef2fb8a32feadba6eae16ffb.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 27
All right, here's my problem (I think). I live in Poughkeepsie and according to B4UFly, under the Status Details/Nearby Airports page of the app, there are 2 heliports within my vacinity, "Midhudson Rgnl Hospital of Wes" and "Vassar Hospital". I checked and neither one have a control tower and yet "Current Location, Now" page is showing the "Warning - Action Required" logo. Still learning here (used to fly Ultralights years ago, thing's have surley changed). Aside from entering my Future Flight Info, do I need to do anything else? OOps, FAA registered recreational flying.

Thanks, great forum here.

This reply might be a bit old. However I’ve discovered with the latest version of the geo fencing software you’re greatly restricted with dji products within a few miles of the airport. Altitude, a proximity to the airfield is severely limited. Also if you’re close enough it will either not let you take off or force land the UAS. The beacon side offers great views of the Hudson. Also try ft. Montgomery near West Point. The bear mt. Bridge looks awesome.

Don’t know if anyone is interested but I’m planning on Hiking Breakneck Ridge on Sunday and fly off the over look to get some shots of Bannerman Island. Let me know if you’re down for a meet up!

On the Bannerman Island topic, anyone know if there are any restrictions for flying over the island?

Hey i am new to the forum. Looking to see some flight and talk with someone that has had some ownership experience before I buy(hopefully next week).
I am from poughkeepsie area and would like to meetup this weekend to see some flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31