Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

Hyperlapse resolution

wco81

Reaction score
Just want to confirm, because I don't see it in the DJI specs page,, that built-in hyperlapse movies are 1080p max but to get 4K you have to stitch the individual photos in post-processing?

Does anyone know a good free program for making time or hyperlapses? Most of the tutorials I've seen use Premiere and not interested in paying that much for a suite of videos. Nor After Effects or any of the other Adobe suite.

Just a hobbyist here, not making money off it.

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Reaction score
I use LRTimelapse Pro, but you can use it without the pro features for free if you don't buy a license.

Note that many/most of the workflows on the webpage talk about working in conjunction with Adobe Lightroom, but that's only if you need to post process the images for many reasons and using the full power of the tool.

But you can still create a video from the Mavic produced images in full-4K (I forget if you need to convert the DJI DNG files to JPG / TIFF first, but there's probably a free tool for that as well).

wco81

Reaction score
I believe LR Timelapse is limited to like a couple hundred shots, IIRC?

Initialy I was saying DNGs in addition to the videos. But I probably decided at some point that I wasn't going to really go back and do those so now saving just the completed video because the storage was becoming an issue.

Just got a good 13-second one out of the M2P, kind of wished it was 4K.

Reactions: PhoenixBird

wco81

Reaction score
It's not a lot of money and it's not an ongoing subscription.

I hope the next Mavic Pro, they support 4K time lapses out of the camera.

They should be able to get enough processing power on board to do such.

Dale Rodgers

Reaction score
Davinci Resolve (both free and studio version) will make a video from a sequence of JPGs or DNGs. The bit depth in the DNGs is excellent for recovering shadows and highlights.

Dale D

Reaction score
Just want to confirm, because I don't see it in the DJI specs page,, that built-in hyperlapse movies are 1080p max but to get 4K you have to stitch the individual photos in post-processing?

Does anyone know a good free program for making time or hyperlapses? Most of the tutorials I've seen use Premiere and not interested in paying that much for a suite of videos. Nor After Effects or any of the other Adobe suite.

Just a hobbyist here, not making money off it.
I've been using LRTimelapse4 for years and just upgraded to LRT5.Someone mentioned that you can only use "a couple hundred shots." Well, that's about all you really need, and in fact, that's about all the battery will allow at a single frame taken every 3 seconds, which I think is the fastest option available in frame rate.

wco81

Reaction score
It's actually every 2 seconds and I've shot as many as 375 or so. One strategy I use is to have the drone fly back towards Home with the locked direction hyperlapse option and so it will take the shots and still be near Home.

Good to know about DaVinci Resolve. May have to play around with it some, because I haven't seen any tutorials for it.

olodum111

Reaction score
I use LRTimelapse Pro, but you can use it without the pro features for free if you don't buy a license.

Note that many/most of the workflows on the webpage talk about working in conjunction with Adobe Lightroom, but that's only if you need to post process the images for many reasons and using the full power of the tool.

But you can still create a video from the Mavic produced images in full-4K (I forget if you need to convert the DJI DNG files to JPG / TIFF first, but there's probably a free tool for that as well).

LRTimelapse free version will only process 400 images and no, it accepts the .dng’s without Converting them to jpg. You need Lightroom to adjust for changes in exposure/lighting, otherwise your video will have flicker. If you shoot it in the daytime and don’t change your exposure, should be able to get a flicker free video out of it. Never tried that because I shoot sunset to night time lapses.

Dale Rodgers

Reaction score
Davinci Resolve has a stabilizer (some hyperlapses can have jitters) built in and is seriously meant for colour correcting.

From 4m29 shows how to import an image sequence into Resolve:

The previous four minutes shows him colour correcting before importing into Resolve - I can't see the point as Resolve is built for that.

Dale D

Reaction score
LRTimelapse free version will only process 400 images and no, it accepts the .dng’s without Converting them to jpg. You need Lightroom to adjust for changes in exposure/lighting, otherwise your video will have flicker. If you shoot it in the daytime and don’t change your exposure, should be able to get a flicker free video out of it. Never tried that because I shoot sunset to night time lapses.
When I do a timelapse using LRTimelapse5 , I calculate my flight as follows; 3 second interval equals 20 frames per minute (60 seconds divided by 3). Estimated flying time after getting the drone up and the doing the settings, and returning to home, I am winding up with about 15 minutes of shooting time. So 15 minutes x 20 frames per minute (at 3 second interval), gives me 300 frames. At a frame rate of 24 frames per second (300 divided by 24), that gives me about a 10 second show before editing.

Reactions: anotherlab

wco81

Reaction score
Thanks good tips all.

I had some windy conditions. Drone kept warning me to land but I didn't have other days to wait to get footage so I captured anyways.

Though I turned the setting to save DNGs for hyperlapses back on just yesterday. I know in a lot of work flows, people import DNG into LR, do editing there and then export JPGs, which they then use to build a clip.

DNGs seem to provide a big improvement so that's what I'm saving but man 40 MB a piece!

Dale D

Reaction score
Thanks good tips all.

I had some windy conditions. Drone kept warning me to land but I didn't have other days to wait to get footage so I captured anyways.

Though I turned the setting to save DNGs for hyperlapses back on just yesterday. I know in a lot of work flows, people import DNG into LR, do editing there and then export JPGs, which they then use to build a clip.

DNGs seem to provide a big improvement so that's what I'm saving but man 40 MB a piece!
Do not disparage LRTimelapse. It is a great software program. I have been using it since 2015. There is a huge world of difference in saving the data in RAW files (which DNG is), as opposed to JPGs. It can mean the difference of saving details in dark shadows (foregrounds) or not. Unless you have a very low capacity computer, shooting and saving your date in RAW is so much better. Editing a few frames of these files in LR Timelapse will then be converted to the entire file, after which the actual rendering is done in JPG.

All E RC Mavic Drones

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dstubben