DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hyperlapse Waypoint Issues

acdraindrps

Reactions
So I did some flying today with the intention of getting some good hyperlapse footage. I created and saved a waypoint hyperlapse mission in my DJI go 4 app, returned to home to swap the battery, and re-loaded the previously saved waypoint mission. The first attempt went very wrong for some reason, and I was hoping some resident experts here could take a look at the flight log and come up with a route cause analysis. The first video is of the hyperlapse-gone-wrong, the second video (and my second attempt) is what the mission should look like (minus the last small leg of the mission due to low battery) in regards to waypoints/flight path. Anyhow, looking at each video you can clearly see the first attempt hadn't flown the mission according to the waypoint plan, not even close.

Thanks again, guys.

First attempt:

Second attempt:

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-09-15_[12-27-36].txt
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • DJIFlightRecord_2019-09-15_[11-44-42].txt
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
Anyone care to help me out and offer their expertise?

In any event, I've been looking over the logs on airdata and think maybe the compass needed calibration? Being so new to all of this, that is of course a shot in the dark.

Anyone care to help me out and offer their expertise?

In any event, I've been looking over the logs on airdata and think maybe the compass needed calibration? Being so new to all of this, that is of course a shot in the dark.
Usually, the aircraft/software will tell you the compass needs calibration. Did it have its full complement of satellites for the gps?

See that's the weird part - it did ask me to recalibrate several times, it seems like if I powered the M2P in this one specific spot DJI Go listed compass calibration error. So I would then calibrate it and move a couple hundred yards away from the area that kept resulting in compass errors.

See that's the weird part - it did ask me to recalibrate several times, it seems like if I powered the M2P in this one specific spot DJI Go listed compass calibration error. So I would then calibrate it and move a couple hundred yards away from the area that kept resulting in compass errors.
If you calibrated it in the area with a compass error, it will show compass errors everywhere else. First move away from the area that is giving you a compass error, and see if the error goes away before recalibrating. If it does, don't recalibrate, and don't launch again from the suspect location.

Reactions: Thomas B
So do you guys think the compass on the fritz could have caused the erratic, not even close waypoint locations? Now that I'm thinking about it, my gimbal was actually wayyy off out of nowhere during that flight as well. The only reason I noticed it was because I had my forward stick at 100% but the camera wasn't facing the same direction at the drone's heading direction. Could these issues possibly be related to the same route cause, or is it likely I had two separate, pretty significant issues with that particular flight?

So do you guys think the compass on the fritz could have caused the erratic, not even close waypoint locations? Now that I'm thinking about it, my gimbal was actually wayyy off out of nowhere during that flight as well. The only reason I noticed it was because I had my forward stick at 100% but the camera wasn't facing the same direction at the drone's heading direction. Could these issues possibly be related to the same route cause, or is it likely I had two separate, pretty significant issues with that particular flight?
Until you have removed the Compass error by flying from an area without compass interference, there is no way to tell. Fix one problem at a time. Then fly another waypoint mission to test the waypoint functionality.

I've been flying everyday since, and only experienced the odd issues I had that day alone. I have however refrained from taking off anywhere near the same area I flew from that day.

I think it's probably worth it to mention that I have done calibration sequences for the compass, imu and gimbal immediately following the flights where I experienced abnormal behavior.

Thanks again, everyone, for all of your help and expertise.

I've been flying everyday since, and only experienced the odd issues I had that day alone. I have however refrained from taking off anywhere near the same area I flew from that day.

I think it's probably worth it to mention that I have done calibration sequences for the compass, imu and gimbal immediately following the flights where I experienced abnormal behavior.

Thanks again, everyone, for all of your help and expertise.
Happy it was just a one day glitch, most likely related to that launching location. I have found a few of those myself, and just learned to launch elsewhere, as you have. I beat a possum over the head tonight that was stealing bananas. Hope he doesn't come back either! ;)

Happy it was just a one day glitch, most likely related to that launching location. I have found a few of those myself, and just learned to launch elsewhere, as you have. I beat a possum over the head tonight that was stealing bananas. Hope he doesn't come back either! ;)
I'm not sure I'm picking up what you're putting down, lol. But yes, thank you again for your help!

I'm not sure I'm picking up what you're putting down, lol. But yes, thank you again for your help!
Once bitten, twice shy! We should react like any animal! If you find a launch site that is causing you problems, find another launch site. Me beating on the possum was you being beaten up by your bad launch site. Don't go back there! ;)

Reactions: acdraindrps
Above seems to largely cover the drone.

My suggestion is that when you use hyperlapse to pan slower, especially with tall buildings projected up into the sky. The images of the buildings become distorted, “bent” of you will and the walls of these buildings show “stair stepping” also. A slower pan will fix this.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000