DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I’m so sick of these PROHIBITED signs everywhere I go in Los Angeles

The hint is there for all to read. Unfortunately the individual that put the verbiage on the sign left it up to interpretation. Probably ran out of space and that’s why the phone number is there.
I understand your pain.

That sign is made with aluminum, plastic, and vinyl. It contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer. Since they didn't warn of exposing you to those dangerous chemicals you should demand it be taken down immediately as Proposition 65 requires or you could fine them.

That sign is made with aluminum, plastic, and vinyl. It contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer. Since they didn't warn of exposing you to those dangerous chemicals you should demand it be taken down immediately as Proposition 65 requires or you could fine them.
:D

Whoa.
That was an incredible reply. Are you for real man, how did you know all that?!

Reactions: Burkett57
I was more blown away by his knowledge of what the materials are that makes up the sign and how it can be taken down but *right this second* I think I’m understanding it’s a joke at California’s expense.
Kinda slow over here.

Then the simply would ad a last line "It is prohibited to touch the signs"

All the chemicals you mention only cause cancer (as far as known at this moment) if you are in direct contact with it AND this contines for a longer period of time OR on a regular basis. And it is NOT the material itself but the particals that are spread as you work with the material. So in a NORMAL justicesystem, you would have no chance.

Whoa.
That was an incredible reply. Are you for real man, how did you know all that?!

I make signs everyday...
The materials to make about anything have the prop 65 warning for it to be sold in California.

The warnings have become somewhat of a joke as even coffee now has to have the warning:
Cancer warnings to be served up with coffee in California

In 1988 the Proposition 65 law that passed was there to help people know if they were in danger of chemicals. Now, because of suits, everything has to have it and the law itself has become harmful. All chemicals have the same label, yet some are dangerous, and others are not. For instance, acrylamide, specifically mentioned in the link above, has to carry the warning. It's not an added chemical but is made as a reaction to cooking just about ANY food. So if you buy food that has been cooked, you are getting this chemical agent. The FDA says it's a normal process of cooking and has not been shown to cause cancer, but California, due to attorneys, is not taking any chances and putting the same label on as they do RoundUp, which is truly harmful with direct contact.

So, I guess I was making light of the law that had good intent to start but now is not much more than an ignored joke.

No hiking. No sight-seeing. No picnicing. No walking. No resting. No picture taking. No flying. No camping.
This is your park, enjoy it.

But you can carry firearms......

OK I'll get me coat. I was leaving anyway :)

SERIOUSLY that was a JOKE there is no need to start a pro/anti gun rant.

My DJI Mavic Pro sUAS is NOT a model airplane any more than it is a stone, arrow or javelin.
Airplanes 'plane' through the air on wings and cannot hover or go very slow.
Based purely on the specific wording on the sign, I would be willing to test that law - if I really needed to fly over a public park (which is usually a bad idea).

If you're at the park when there are no other people there, just test the law.
If the cops DO, (inappropriately), after your 'not an airplane' explanation, lump you in with airplanes, then first offence is likely just a warning.
This by the way, is an opinion.
Opinions are like butts; everybody has one and some really stink.

I am based in San Diego and I fly 107 missions in LA at least once or twice per month - and I love it.

If I saw that sign in the UK I would fly my m2p because it does not state drones. Agree with @LenSavage it is not a model airplane stone or javelin.
In the UK they can only ban you from taking off from there property but not flying above it, that comes under caa jurisdiction which says you can so long as you are flying according to the drone law.
So if I saw that sign I would launch from there.
Just different laws.

Reactions: Bryce steiner
My DJI Mavic Pro sUAS is NOT a model airplane any more than it is a stone, arrow or javelin.
Airplanes 'plane' through the air on wings and cannot hover or go very slow.
Based purely on the specific wording on the sign, I would be willing to test that law - if I really needed to fly over a public park (which is usually a bad idea).

If you're at the park when there are no other people there, just test the law.
If the cops DO, (inappropriately), after your 'not an airplane' explanation, lump you in with airplanes, then first offence is likely just a warning.
This by the way, is an opinion.
Opinions are like butts; everybody has one and some really stink.

I am based in San Diego and I fly 107 missions in LA at least once or twice per month - and I love it.

Indeed my Mavic Air is not a model airplane but, as you mentioned, my fear is to be lumped into the same category and get grief about it. I live near Culver City Park and Kenneth Hahn parks here in LA and both have the same sign. Both are on clear airspace and are very lightly populated on weekdays, yet I find those signs. I will probably put it up in the air one of these days and test my luck to see where it goes. I’ll be posting the result here. Thank you for your input!

Indeed my Mavic Air is not a model airplane but, as you mentioned, my fear is to be lumped into the same category and get grief about it. I live near Culver City Park and Kenneth Hahn parks here in LA and both have the same sign. Both are on clear airspace and are very lightly populated on weekdays, yet I find those **** signs. I will probably put it up in the air one of these days and test my luck to see where it goes. I’ll be posting the result here. Thank you for your input!
Regulations are indeed posted, but enforcing them costs the city money, and some one has to call attention to violations before enforcement efforts might even start. Two reasons you might fly uninterrupted. And a drone is certainly not a model airplane.

If I saw that sign in the UK I would fly my m2p because it does not state drones.

I am also inthe UK but you know what the legal system (anywhere in the world) is like. the Lawyers will spend s LOT of your money splitting hairs and creating precedents and "clarifying" the wording of the law.

A Drone is an aircraft (hence under the jurisdiction of FAA, CAA, AnyAA) the same as a helicopter and 747 are. One is a fixed wing aircraft the other a rotary wing aircraft.
The argument is: Is a DJI drone (we are on MAvic Pilots web site) a model aircraft or just an Aircraft?

The argument is that it is not like model RC aircraft a model of a full size aircraft but the DJI drones are "full size". Therefore not a model aircraft.

Please note: as you are not a qualified lawyer you can not approach the bench (or reply) Please instruct your Very Expensive Lawyer/Solicitor/Barrister to reply on your behalf.......

Life used to be so simple. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhop786