DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am going here for vacation and im not sure if i will have issues flying here.

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I can't request LANCC is this just a caution type A?

1647468894543.png

Last edited:
You can legally fly there from information I can gather. That said, you would be flying in an Alert area (A-632B) from the surface to 17,999 feet with hours of operation from 0700 to 2400 hrs. This is a student training area for jets. There is also a warning about low level helicopter flights in this area. In addition there is parachute jumping in the area.

If you decide to fly be extremely cautious. Low level choppers and student jet flights make for a dicey flight area. Keep it close and don’t go any higher than necessary. Not a good place to go exploring with a drone, but getting aerial vista shots should be okay. With this being on the coast fog is a real concern especially in the mornings.

DAC38108-434C-44A9-BD9A-479A253AD080.jpeg
This is a screen shot of the area from the Brownsville Sectional on SkyVector.com. The magenta vignette around the area depicts Class E airspace starting at 700’AGL with Class G beneath it. Farther away and surrounding your area you see the magenta hair lined area depicting the A-632B Alert area. In blue boxes at the top right are warnings about it being a defense area and low level helicopter flights. Below is the chart showing the information on A-632B.
07720102-B2B8-4D26-8486-4BCCBFD82DB8.jpeg

You can legally fly there from information I can gather. That said, you would be flying in an Alert area (A-632B) from the surface to 17,999 feet with hours of operation from 0700 to 2400 hrs. This is a student training area for jets. There is also a warning about low level helicopter flights in this area. In addition there is parachute jumping in the area.

If you decide to fly be extremely cautious. Low level choppers and student jet flights make for a dicey flight area. Keep it close and don’t go any higher than necessary. Not a good place to go exploring with a drone, but getting aerial vista shots should be okay. With this being on the coast fog is a real concern especially in the mornings.

View attachment 145355
This is a screen shot of the area from the Brownsville Sectional on SkyVector.com. The magenta vignette around the area depicts Class E airspace starting at 700’AGL with Class G beneath it. Farther away and surrounding your area you see the magenta hair lined area depicting the A-632B Alert area. In blue boxes at the top right are warnings about it being a defense area and low level helicopter flights. Below is the chart showing the information on A-632B.
View attachment 145356
Thank you for the reply, this one confused me since I had never seen this type before. Good advice. :)

EDIT: @DoomMeister posted a discussion while I was typing this. See post #3.

LAANC is not available there. It's only available around airports. The location you pinned is outside the LAANC service areas nearby. Corpus Christi Naval Station has a LAANC grid, but LAANC services are not available at military installations.

What do you mean by "caution type A?"

You're being warned about two things.
  • A-632B - a Special Use Airspace Type Alert Area. It's an advisory area, not a prohibited area. Military training flights take place there. There's a gunnery range offshore. Click the "More" and "?" Links on the page you posted.
  • Mustang Beach is an uncontrolled airport.
Read more about A-632B here:

"• Alert areas are depicted on aeronautical charts with an A followed by a number (e.g., A-211) to inform pilots of areas that may contain a high volume of pilot training or an unusual type of aerial activity. Drone pilots should exercise caution in alert areas."

LAANC is not available there. It's only available around airports. The location you pinned is outside the LAANC service areas nearby. Corpus Christi Naval Station has a LAANC grid, but LAANC services are not available at military installations.

What do you mean by "caution type A?"

You're being warned about two things.
  • A-632B - a Special Use Airspace Type Alert Area. It's an advisory area, not a prohibited area. Military training flights take place there. There's a gunnery range offshore. Click the "More" and "?" Links on the page you posted.
  • Mustang Beach is an uncontrolled airport.
Read more about A-632B here:

"• Alert areas are depicted on aeronautical charts with an A followed by a number (e.g., A-211) to inform pilots of areas that may contain a high volume of pilot training or an unusual type of aerial activity. Drone pilots should exercise caution in alert areas."
Appreciate it, 50% of what I fly is LANNC and 50% is just normal air space. Never been to this area and looking it up before the trip so wanted to make sure I understood what A "alert" really was. Also make sure the drone would take off when flying responsible before dropping money on a rent house for a weekend.

Appreciate it, 50% of what I fly is LANNC and 50% is just normal air space. Never been to this area and looking it up before the trip so wanted to make sure I understood what A "alert" really was. Also make sure the drone would take off when flying responsible before dropping money on a rent house for a weekend.
If this area is anything like South Ponte Vedra Beach just north of St Augustine the helicopters that come through between 200’ and 400’ AGL are not real apparent until they are quite close. The sound of the surf masks most airborne vehicles, and the bigger the surf the louder it is. The jets are even faster and you don’t hear them until they are on you or past you in most cases.

Again, use extra caution, fly safe, and have a great weekend!

Slightly off topic, and not related to drones, be sure to make a stop at The Gaff for belt sander racing.

Slightly off topic, and not related to drones, be sure to make a stop at The Gaff for belt sander racing.
Pinewood derby to the extreme!

Reactions: VenomXts
If this area is anything like South Ponte Vedra Beach just north of St Augustine the helicopters that come through between 200’ and 400’ AGL are not real apparent until they are quite close. The sound of the surf masks most airborne vehicles, and the bigger the surf the louder it is. The jets are even faster and you don’t hear them until they are on you or past you in most cases.

Again, use extra caution, fly safe, and have a great weekend!
I live on South Ponte Vedra beach since 1972. I wish they came through at 200 AGL. You better have your head on a swivel because they are coming from many directions not to mention the jets that play there .

I live on South Ponte Vedra beach since 1972. I wish they came through at 200 AGL. You better have your head on a swivel because they are coming from many directions not to mention the jets that play there .
I’ve never seen the jets, but have had the CG choppers as well as sight seeing and MedEvac birds. I’ve rented there on SPVB several times over the past 15 years. It is great because cars are not allowed on the beach and most places have nothing on the west side of the A1A. The last couple of hurricanes really did a number on the beach and dunes there. The last time the wife and I were there was in March of 2019 at a house about 4.5 miles north of the NE Florida Regl. airport

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.