DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am impressed by the sturdiness of Mavic Mini, but worried about reliability

dezbot

Reactions
Today my 3rd Mavic Mini dive bombed into the concrete at a very high rate of speed from about 30 meters up and 10 meters away from me. I think it survived with only two broken propellers and the gimbal mount popping out the rubber dampener. I wanted to say that I cannot believe the sturdiness of the Mavic Mini. I thought it was destroyed when I saw it bounce off the ground and spit out the battery.

A couple of things about this crash, 1) This MM was brand new, this was its maiden outage, it had probably about 60 minutes of flight time
2) This is my 3rd MM and have crashed many times of my own accord and take full responsibility for poor flying in the past, but this crash I wasn't doing anything. In fact I was just descending vertically when the MM appeared to "roll" horizontally and accelerate towards the ground upside down, vs just "falling" out of the sky. I have never seen a MM fly inverted, but that is what it looked like it was doing.
3) There were no warnings about battery or winds on the app
4) There was some wind gusts at the time, but nothing too crazy. I have gotten 100's of wind gusts warnings in the past with my previous MMs and I always just descend and life goes on. These conditions did not seem any different or worse than conditions I've flown in.

What really gets me though is this....although I am impressed by the sturdiness of the MM I am absolutely paranoid now of flying the MM because I now I don't trust it to not randomly become an meteor. I have no idea why it malfunctioned and crashed, I can definitely say this time it was NOT my fault. My previous crashes have always been obvious user error, this was just a drone descending when suicided itself.

What I hate is not knowing the reliability of it now. Will this happen again? When will it happen again? Where will it happen? Will it happen in a situation where I can't get to the MM? Will it happen in a situation where it would cause damage to property or people if it fell out of the sky? How do people go about regaining their trust in their equipment?

I wish it was easier to get to the logs, I know you can do it, but I'm lazy and not sure of the value I'd get out of it. What would I see in the logs that would calm my nerves? The only thing that would is if it pointed out some user error like indeed the battery was 0% or the something else silly on my part.

-dezbot

Today my 3rd Mavic Mini dive bombed into the concrete at a very high rate of speed from about 30 meters up and 10 meters away from me. I think it survived with only two broken propellers and the gimbal mount popping out the rubber dampener. I wanted to say that I cannot believe the sturdiness of the Mavic Mini. I thought it was destroyed when I saw it bounce off the ground and spit out the battery.

A couple of things about this crash, 1) This MM was brand new, this was its maiden outage, it had probably about 60 minutes of flight time
2) This is my 3rd MM and have crashed many times of my own accord and take full responsibility for poor flying in the past, but this crash I wasn't doing anything. In fact I was just descending vertically when the MM appeared to "roll" horizontally and accelerate towards the ground upside down, vs just "falling" out of the sky. I have never seen a MM fly inverted, but that is what it looked like it was doing.
3) There were no warnings about battery or winds on the app
4) There was some wind gusts at the time, but nothing too crazy. I have gotten 100's of wind gusts warnings in the past with my previous MMs and I always just descend and life goes on. These conditions did not seem any different or worse than conditions I've flown in.

What really gets me though is this....although I am impressed by the sturdiness of the MM I am absolutely paranoid now of flying the MM because I now I don't trust it to not randomly become an meteor. I have no idea why it malfunctioned and crashed, I can definitely say this time it was NOT my fault. My previous crashes have always been obvious user error, this was just a drone descending when suicided itself.

What I hate is not knowing the reliability of it now. Will this happen again? When will it happen again? Where will it happen? Will it happen in a situation where I can't get to the MM? Will it happen in a situation where it would cause damage to property or people if it fell out of the sky? How do people go about regaining their trust in their equipment?

I wish it was easier to get to the logs, I know you can do it, but I'm lazy and not sure of the value I'd get out of it. What would I see in the logs that would calm my nerves? The only thing that would is if it pointed out some user error like indeed the battery was 0% or the something else silly on my part.

-dezbot

The old 3 strike rule should apply on this drone.

Wind, magnetic interference and compass calibration all come to mind.
Let assume wind is not the factor, that leaves the Magnetic Interference , where exactly did you take off from ?

Getting the logs is not difficult at all . I just to oktofly.com and click upload then in dji fly folder ull find a folder for the logs select the flight and upload. U can have this done automatically as well. But if you just want to see if any warnings popped up just open flyapp click profile then more it will play the flight on the map for u and any alerts AB42E57B-26F0-4D4D-AAC1-19E49D9ECF95.jpegA1090695-C0BA-4DE0-8F53-4CCAEB650464.jpegFFF7BE1A-B0D3-4D67-A30D-43FB3AD73C54.png

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada