DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am thinking about buying the mini...is my research and assumptions correct

First post, greetings all. I am coming from a DJI phantom original, and then the phantom 3 standard and advanced. And now I just crashed my phantome 3 advanced after a freak battery accident and am trying to repair it.

It seems that from my research the Mini is for me.
-Small. I hate lugging around a phantom 3 in a backback. It allows room for nothing else. I either have to pack for a long hike, or pack to fly the drone, but not both. I just got back from a beautiful vacation in St John and was wishing I had my drone all the time. But there wouldnt have been room for it in my carry on. It seems the mini would have solved that.
-Price seems right on point.

There are some common "complaints" against the mini, for lack of a better term. But I dont think they really apply to my needs. Let me see if I understand correctly?
-range is less. people complain about the transmission signal can breakup up easily. But I dont fly miles out or in city areas so that shouldnt apply to me.
-cant handle as strong of a wind. it still seems to do pretty good though, and again I dont fly during known super windy conditions
-doesnt do 4k. I am not a professional. I shoot pics and videos for my own pleasure and upload them to youtube in 1080. Half the population is still living in a 1080 world so that shouldnt be obsolete any time soon.

I pretty much go out to the mountains and fly there and take pics of mountains or sunsets for my own pleasure. I dont do fancy movies or maneuvers or fly miles away out of sight with waypoints (though i do admit, waypoints seem cool and something id like to do eventually).

Are there other things I may be missing in my research that i should consider before I make the purchase as to whether or not this is the right drone for me.
I sent my Mini back so many flyaways and other issues I purchased
a Mavic Air for $799 off Ebay brand new a much better drone

Get one, they’re a blast. Just use common sense re wind and incidentally, mine has been better in the wind than some report but, if it’s over 20 mph at 200’, I don’t fly. If you think of it as a songbird compared to a hawk (phantom) you’re going to be happy with it. Here is a thread you should read.
How many MM owners have been trouble free?
It’s 5 pages of trouble-free MM owners!

Having said all this...IF you can afford the price of an Air (almost double), and IF you’re gonna be flying in wind above 20 mph, you might want to consider an Air. Realistically, they’re not all that much bigger than a mini. Best wishes and let us know what you decide. ?

Last edited:
First post, greetings all. I am coming from a DJI phantom original, and then the phantom 3 standard and advanced. And now I just crashed my phantome 3 advanced after a freak battery accident and am trying to repair it.

-Small. I hate lugging around a phantom 3 in a backback. It allows room for nothing else. I either have to pack for a long hike, or pack to fly the drone, but not both. I just got back from a beautiful vacation in St John and was wishing I had my drone all the time. But there wouldnt have been room for it in my carry on. It seems the mini would have solved that.

There are some common "complaints" against the mini, for lack of a better term. But I dont think they really apply to my needs. Let me see if I understand correctly?
-range is less. people complain about the transmission signal can breakup up easily. But I dont fly miles out or in city areas so that shouldnt apply to me.
-cant handle as strong of a wind. it still seems to do pretty good though, and again I dont fly during known super windy conditions
-doesnt do 4k. I am not a professional. I shoot pics and videos for my own pleasure and upload them to youtube in 1080. Half the population is still living in a 1080 world so that shouldnt be obsolete any time soon.

I pretty much go out to the mountains and fly there and take pics of mountains or sunsets for my own pleasure. I dont do fancy movies or maneuvers or fly miles away out of sight with waypoints (though i do admit, waypoints seem cool and something id like to do eventually).

Are there other things I may be missing in my research that i should consider before I make the purchase as to whether or not this is the right drone for me.
Do a search for “Mavic Mini Flyaway” ?

Last edited:
What you really want is a Mavic Air. You're going to have problems with the wind issue, especially if you're flying in the mountains. Look around and you can probably find a factory refurbished Flymore kit. It packs down really small and works great. Coming from a Phantom I think you'll be disappointed with the performance of the Mini.

I have a Mavic Pro Platinum and a Mini. Obviously, the Mini doesn't have the power of the MPP and some sensor limitations but, overall I am very pleased with it. For it's size, it is more than capable and a fun little guy to fly around. Understanding the differences and remembering which one you're flying most definitely helps, lol. Strengthening the front arms is something to consider.

I have the Mini, Air, Mavic 2 Zoom and the Mavic 2 Pro. I have been seriously considering shelving (or selling) the Mini and using the Air as my "fun" machine. I have taken it to Curacao on vacation and recorded daily for 2 weeks there where the winds are constantly 20 - 25 mph. The only limitations were my own fears. It was rock steady in the winds and the 4K videos and pictures looked great. If you can go the extra few bucks, I don't think you would regret it.

Mini is great for what it is, 400 dollar RTF package for non-challenging flights... it's not a toy but it's not a professional camera drone either

Reactions: Thomas B

Your assumptions are correct. It sounds 100% like the correct drone for you, you seem to tick every box. I also own the mini. Another great feature are the long life batteries, 30 mins flying time is cool but with the combo pack you'll have 3 batteries. That means if you go into the mountains or hiking then no worries about having enough juice to shoot those mountains and sunsets. Packs into a rucksack with more than enough space to spare. I use it for the same purposes as yourself and it's perfect.

very good insights, that exactly why I came here. Perhaps I just spend the extra money for an Air and know that I will be good for the next...? 5+ years?
It really all depends on how you fly. I have had my MM up on a few windy days but for short distances realizing that it was going to struggle. But I also liked it for being able to practice flying around indoors. I got the fly more combo so it came with the prop guards. And flying indoors it has really paid off having the prop guards on both in protecting the props and the protecting stuff hung on the walls. the lack of sensors can be a minus, but it can also be considered a plus in that you have to be a more focused pilot when you fly. plus how many times can you find a message from someone where they disable the sensors in order to free them up in being able to fly close in on something. Plus I'm planning on taking it on vacations because of it's smaller more manageable size for packing.

Hello
I had it . I lost it after flying it for the First time. I do not recommend Purchasing it . Sorry

This vid just turned up in my YT flow... can be an interesting view showing off the "uncommanded descent", Wind forward to around 6:00.

Imagine now that you get that on height ... not over a lawn but instead over some much more delicate or some much more wet :oops:

The solution he offers in the end is about the only thing you can do ... but it will probably not stop this behavior in the long run, we have here at the forum already seen cases where the props have been changed but the problem have resurfaced again & again. Other cases were a second flight have (with the same props) proceeded without problems ... And all this time total silence from DJI, isn't that strange ?

Reactions: Dedal
I can hear from the audio that Mavic Mini doesn't sound right. I have several of videos w/ fly-bys, take offs, landings of my Mavic Mini... I can pretty much hear that sound pitch is definitely different than a regular healthy one... PROBABLY for maxed out motors.

That is a completely different problem than the uncommanded descent caused by rapid pressure build-up, like when coming full down for several seconds and full ahead. That leads to false pressure readings to which I am sure the FC reacts accordingly.

I’ve flown on a few pretty windy days. With eyes wide open. Don’t push your luck over water and always fly straight up a bit to look for drift. If you must fly in wind head upwind on your way out and you’ll have a much easier time getting her back. It’s definitely NOT built for +25mph winds but it’s not a butterfly that gets blown away in a breeze either.

I bought my Mini at the beginning of March, I have had little time to get to know how good the Drone is, mainly due to the weather conditions and the self-isolating I have to endure due to my underlying condition.
I have managed to fly it around my small garden, it seems to handle very well even when the wind picks up. It does a kind of dance to stay in the same spot not that that shows up in the video it takes.
Reading some of the comments on this thread has made me a little apprehensive as to let it go up much above the rooftops but on rare occasions, it has, the views it shows have been extremely impressive.
I'm really beginning to look forwards to when The situation gets back to normal, I appreciate not in the near future I will be able to go further afield to fly my little Mini. May be to the peak district as that's not far away from where I live,

For even less money, I would suggest the refurbished DJI Spark Fly Kit sold here by DDS, DJI drone service. Like new with DJI warranty, $369 ad on this forum. You will be happier, I believe. I own Phantoms and a Mini. Good luck, be safe.

The Spark is a tougher drone than the Mini. Still small too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929