DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am thinking about buying the mini...is my research and assumptions correct

For the most part I agree with your photo assumptions, I have no need for 4k as well. The wind thing is something to reconsider though, you said you don't fly in strong winds. The mini will have problems in winds you could easily fly your phantom in, just keep that in mind. The range thing would not be a problem for me as well. I don't have a mini (I have a M2Z), but have researched them and watched many videos of them. I could be wrong, but they don't look nearly as stable in the air as my M2Z. My M2Z is as solid as a rock while in flight, if you let off the sticks, that thing does not move in the air. My point is if you can afford a M2P or M2Z, I think you would be very pleased with them. They still are very compact when folded up, and transport should not be a problem. I really love the Smart Controller as well, and you can be in the air very fast with no phone or cables to mess with. I know that does add some substantial cost on, but they are very nice for sure. But back to the mini, it's fine, but pay attention to its limitations, wind even fairly mild, seems to be a problem judging by the post in the fly aways section. But of course nobody post in "successful flight" section :)

With a Mini just use your common sense with the weather , do your checks that you should do then fly and take some good videos,great.

I will stick with my MA. Flying today and then the wind picked I would guess to 25mph+ Reduced height a little and back to home just fine. Just can't get assistance2 on my computer to work.

The other issue with moving from P3A to Mini is less photo/video control (no manual ISO/shutter for video, image profiles, etc), and fewer intelligent flight modes.

Mini definitely handles light breezes, I can even manage my Tello in light breezes. You do have to be careful in moderate breezes. With the Mini being light, it may handle the wind, but it may sound like its struggling since it has less inertia to resist wind changes. Just don't take chances with the Mini that you might have gotten away with in the P3.

I think it's a great knock around drone, features to price point. There have been appearances of GPS based drones for less money, but not many with 3 axis or even 2 axis gimbals.

First post, greetings all. I am coming from a DJI phantom original, and then the phantom 3 standard and advanced. And now I just crashed my phantome 3 advanced after a freak battery accident and am trying to repair it.

It seems that from my research the Mini is for me.
-Small. I hate lugging around a phantom 3 in a backback. It allows room for nothing else. I either have to pack for a long hike, or pack to fly the drone, but not both. I just got back from a beautiful vacation in St John and was wishing I had my drone all the time. But there wouldnt have been room for it in my carry on. It seems the mini would have solved that.
-Price seems right on point.

There are some common "complaints" against the mini, for lack of a better term. But I dont think they really apply to my needs. Let me see if I understand correctly?
-range is less. people complain about the transmission signal can breakup up easily. But I dont fly miles out or in city areas so that shouldnt apply to me.
-cant handle as strong of a wind. it still seems to do pretty good though, and again I dont fly during known super windy conditions
-doesnt do 4k. I am not a professional. I shoot pics and videos for my own pleasure and upload them to youtube in 1080. Half the population is still living in a 1080 world so that shouldnt be obsolete any time soon.

I pretty much go out to the mountains and fly there and take pics of mountains or sunsets for my own pleasure. I dont do fancy movies or maneuvers or fly miles away out of sight with waypoints (though i do admit, waypoints seem cool and something id like to do eventually).

Are there other things I may be missing in my research that i should consider before I make the purchase as to whether or not this is the right drone for me.

I had one. was fun for about 20 flights, but suddenly decided to go down, for no reason and dive in the bay, I let it dry put in the box and return it, I ready many similar cases, I will buy a better one next time.

I have a Mavic Two Zoom. It has a longer range then the phantom 4 pro I use for work. Very steady, even in the wind. It is small and easily packed in a backpack. I use one made for a camera. It is an excellent alternative to the Phantom in a more compact form. The Mavic Two Pro has a camera that is closer to the phantom

First post, greetings all. I am coming from a DJI phantom original, and then the phantom 3 standard and advanced. And now I just crashed my phantome 3 advanced after a freak battery accident and am trying to repair it.

-Small. I hate lugging around a phantom 3 in a backback. It allows room for nothing else. I either have to pack for a long hike, or pack to fly the drone, but not both. I just got back from a beautiful vacation in St John and was wishing I had my drone all the time. But there wouldnt have been room for it in my carry on. It seems the mini would have solved that.

There are some common "complaints" against the mini, for lack of a better term. But I dont think they really apply to my needs. Let me see if I understand correctly?
-range is less. people complain about the transmission signal can breakup up easily. But I dont fly miles out or in city areas so that shouldnt apply to me.
-cant handle as strong of a wind. it still seems to do pretty good though, and again I dont fly during known super windy conditions
-doesnt do 4k. I am not a professional. I shoot pics and videos for my own pleasure and upload them to youtube in 1080. Half the population is still living in a 1080 world so that shouldnt be obsolete any time soon.

I pretty much go out to the mountains and fly there and take pics of mountains or sunsets for my own pleasure. I dont do fancy movies or maneuvers or fly miles away out of sight with waypoints (though i do admit, waypoints seem cool and something id like to do eventually).

Are there other things I may be missing in my research that i should consider before I make the purchase as to whether or not this is the right drone for me.
No avoidance systems! Only ground sensors. Only 249g so no need to register.
Quiet, and almost 30 min on one battery!!
Love mine.

Reactions: m80116 and fificap

Get a used Mavic Pro. Wind is a really big issue with the Mini and since you have the Phantoms I am assuming avoiding license requirements are not your priority. I have done controlled indoor noise tests on the Mini. with Prop guards on it is as loud as the Pro and with them off the sound is indistinguishable at 20 m.

Reactions: Galeforce1
If you already know how to fly pretty well, then you should be fine. Just keep an eye on it as the lack of sensors leaves it all up to you. Start at a place where you can fly into the wind and let the wind aid you in bringing it home.

Reactions: Dbez1
I bought a Mini a few weeks ago and it's absolutely useless where I live.

There's a persistent light breeze here, and the Mini can't even handle that - so I just don't trust it.

I also feel it's very flimsy. People say it's at a great price point, well that's because it's been built cheaply. It's still a lot of money relatively speaking.

DJI spent too much time trying to keep the weight down which ended up in a flimsy product, which is pointless as regulators are moving to remove weight as a factor (in the UK and EU all drones with cameras need registration regardless of weight from June)

I've had no issue with any of my other Mavics, and they fly very well where I live.
When I bought my Mavic Pro Platinum (2nd hand in top condition) in January, I also looked at the Mini - and very nearly bought it. But its flimsiness put me right off. It seemed very poorly built. Now, I'm glad I bought the MPP even though it was a bit more expensive and much older technology, it is very very stable and can handle quite strong winds.

Reactions: Lastrexking
That's true. There are some good deals to be had out there. I have used my MM for travel and to keep in the car if I see some good opportunity. You can literally put the drone in one pocket and controller in the other and go. Portability is certainly a strong suit.

Reactions: fificap
I can hear from the audio that Mavic Mini doesn't sound right. I have several of videos w/ fly-bys, take offs, landings of my Mavic Mini... I can pretty much hear that sound pitch is definitely different than a regular healthy one... PROBABLY for maxed out motors.

That is a completely different problem than the uncommanded descent caused by rapid pressure build-up, like when coming full down for several seconds and full ahead. That leads to false pressure readings to which I am sure the FC reacts accordingly.
Hi! - My first post. Thanks all you seasoned pilots for posting. I'm learning a lot. I'm a new Mini owner - got it March 20th and have about 5 hours flying time with it. I just took off the prop guards after telling myself I'd leave them on until I had at least 4 hours flight time. They probably saved the props twice in that time. With or without the prop guards I've seen exactly what you describe; full down and full ahead for a few seconds, then let go of the sticks and sometimes the Mini will brake and drop. Sometimes that drop is something like 6'/2m, maybe more. It's hard to tell how far it would have dropped when it hits the grass... A couple times I started mowing my lawn - four little circles at a time. It seems more likely once the battery is 40% or less. Can you, or anybody else explain more about the "pressure build-up" and "FC reacts accordingly" that you mentioned? I'd like to know more about that. Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair