DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I bought one, did you?

Jumped on the hype-train as soon as the presentation ended (couldn´t help myself :(). Gave it a little thought and canceled the order yesterday. Why? Its a noisier Mavic Pro. No OcySync and less flighttime. And I firmly believe that under 2018 we will see the new Mavic2. DJI has to respond to the Autel EVO if they still want to dominate this market-segment. My Mavic Pro will still be my drone of choice, in wait for the MP2. Still I think the Air is a VERY impressive little guy for the size and price...Well there is my thought of it as of now!
I saw a video on YouTube where a guy claims the Mavic 2 will be announced in March. He used 2 sources that have been right on the money with him. He had a video on YouTube weeks before the Mavic Air was announced, telling people it will be announced and the specs.

Interesting specs on the Mavic Pro II, as it will be allegedly called. 1 inch sensor like the Phantom 4 Pro. BUT, not rear obstacle avoidance which I found weird. Bigger battery to give 20% more flight time, and to carry the bigger payload. Everything else seems to be similar to the Mavic Pro. I’m sure there will be other goodies in it as well.

I’m fine with the Mavic Air (when it arrives) and my Mavic Pro. When I go on vacation, both will go everywhere with me. I’ll wait for Mavic Pro III to make the next jump.

Reactions: Garuda
I saw a video on YouTube where a guy claims the Mavic 2 will be announced in March. He used 2 sources that have been right on the money with him. He had a video on YouTube weeks before the Mavic Air was announced, telling people it will be announced and the specs.

Interesting specs on the Mavic Pro II, as it will be allegedly called. 1 inch sensor like the Phantom 4 Pro. BUT, not rear obstacle avoidance which I found weird. Bigger battery to give 20% more flight time, and to carry the bigger payload. Everything else seems to be similar to the Mavic Pro. I’m sure there will be other goodies in it as well.

I’m fine with the Mavic Air (when it arrives) and my Mavic Pro. When I go on vacation, both will go everywhere with me. I’ll wait for Mavic Pro III to make the next jump.
The size and the specs of the Mavic Air makes it very alluring. Wished I had endless amount of cash! LOL

Anyone had to verify a purchase with DJI? Got got an email asking for photo ID showing my address, but nothing telling where to send it. Do I simply reply to the email with it?

I impulse bought one at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport this morning.
They have quite a few on stock for takeaway.
img_4738.jpg

Reactions: scott rand
Can you palm launch the Air?
You can take off from your hand, but it's not possible to do a palm launch like when flying the Spark. You can palm launch it from the ground like this.

That’s unfortunate. Sometimes it was necessary to palm launch Spark.

How is it unfortunate? You can still manually take off from your hand or use the auto takeoff feature while the Mavic Air is sitting on your hand.

How is it unfortunate? You can still manually take off from your hand or use the auto takeoff feature while the Mavic Air is sitting on your hand.

I’d have to look more but my issue is that sometimes having to take off from the ground isn’t advantageous.

I’d have to look more but my issue is that sometimes having to take off from the ground isn’t advantageous.
Any DJI drone can be launched from your hand.

To clarify my statement above, I'm saying the Mavic Air does not have the gesture mode "palm launch" feature that was recently introduced in the Spark. I'm not saying you cannot take off from your hand.

Anyone have this happen ? My order status switched to “Shipping”, but I never received an email saying it shipped, nor did I receive the tracking #.

Anyone have this happen ? My order status switched to “Shipping”, but I never received an email saying it shipped, nor did I receive the tracking #.
Yes, this often happens to me when ordering from the DJI Store. When a tracking number is available, you'll receive it via email and you'll be able to see it in your order information on DJI's site.

Well the range is disappointing! The video is a very revealing look at the true range (and this is in a wide open area!) So expect much less in heavy WiFi urban areas!

Well the range is disappointing! The video is a very revealing look at the true range (and this is in a wide open area!) So expect much less in heavy WiFi urban areas!

It's good enough for Selfies.
Not supposed to replace Mavic Pro with OccuSync technology.

Yes, this often happens to me when ordering from the DJI Store. When a tracking number is available, you'll receive it via email and you'll be able to see it in your order information on DJI's site.
Perfect ! Thanks !

Reactions: R1Mavic
Already a thread on this. Already discussed about him flying on 5.8 MHz instead of 2.4 MHz. It’s well known 2.4 MHz gets you more distance, he was flying on 5.8 MHz and got over a mile. Interesting to see if he tries it again on 2.4 MHz.

Already a thread on this. Already discussed about him flying on 5.8 MHz instead of 2.4 MHz. It’s well known 2.4 MHz gets you more distance, he was flying on 5.8 MHz and got over a mile. Interesting to see if he tries it again on 2.4 MHz.
I don't think the 2.4 has as much power as the 5.8? I know in the (non DJI) world 2.4 will go farther, but at a higher power. Quote:Hello thanks for sharing. I wanted to ask you if you can select the video Tx band from the Mavic Air? I see you were using the 5.8GHz band which has a higher output power of 31dBm, while the lower frequency band of 2.4GHz is 28 dBm. It would be interesting to compare transmission distance if you can select the 2.4GHz band. Even though it's lower power it may transmit further due to the longer wavelength at 2.4GHz. But the big question is if you can select either 5.8GHz or 2.4Ghz.

Last edited:
I have a mavic pro, P4P, and I show my Air is "out for delivery". As soon as I get it, im going to do a range test for all three. I live in a San Diego, so I can test both congested urban, semi-congested suburban, and only a few miles to flat uncongested open area, I plan on comparing all three ranges, becuase im really curious, seems the reports of Air are all over the place, some people say 300ft, some say 1,000 feet, I saw one that showed 3,000 feet. The inconsistency is concerning, the MP with the OcuSync is pretty consistent across the board.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna