DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I bought one, did you?

Wifi transmit disconnect resulting in no control and fly away.
The craft should RTH with a signal disconnect, that's how it's designed. However, there are way more cases of actual flyaways from craft using WiFi, including DJI. This was common with Phantom 2's which used WiFi. Lightbridge/Ocu-Sync reports of actual fly away scenarios are practically non-existent.

Think I'll sit this one out, was hoping for more...

Same as most, waiting on MP-2 or P5. MP is just fine for now.

Thankfully, I sold P4 and Spark before they were discontinued or upgraded. Did not care for Spark and it's toy wifi transmission, dropped it like a used
Rubber! Lol

No way will I downgrade proven radio transmission of Lightbridge or Occusync to a Wifi signal whether it is enhanced or not for $999! IMO, That's stealing from the masses who know no better.

Reactions: Greg Smithski
The craft should RTH with a signal disconnect, that's how it's designed. However, there are way more cases of actual flyaways from craft using WiFi, including DJI. This was common with Phantom 2's which used WiFi. Lightbridge/Ocu-Sync reports of actual fly away scenarios are practically non-existent.

Good luck with RTH when Wifi transmission to your $800 purchase
gets "jammed" and scrambled.

I still love my Spark for what it is, a small pioneer drone. The Mavic Air does everything better sure, but the Spark was a test bed for tech and deserves a place in the evolutionary scale of consumer drones. I've had it since day one, and never had a problem. It's a great quad when one flies within it's limitations. Anyway for me, WIFI has never really been an issue. I love Lightbridge and Ocusync, but mostly fly within VLOS. My biggest problem with the MA is seeing the same camera sensor used again. Now. it's nice to have 100 mbps and a larger FOV, but at the end of the day this sensor has mostly reached it's peak. So good camera, but not great. All in all, this one will probably be a skip for me. I will wait awhile for some of the less bias reviews to come out.

Last edited:
Different perspective here. Obviously Ocu-Sync and Lightbridge are far superior technologies. I live in a semi-rural area with some, but not excessive WiFi interference (industrial park nearby). However, I use copper parabolic range boosters on my Spark RC which help out significantly. As far as RTH signal disconnects, I hit them all the time and no issues. I really think this boils down to what your needs are. For me the Mavic Air is really a Spark 2 and I like the smaller form factor over my Mavic Pro with the arms unfolded (305 x 244 vs 168 x 184). Size in the air is a big deal for me when I am threading through trees or close proximately flights. If I am dealing with higher winds, signal interference and need longer flight times, the Mavic Pro is what I am going to take.

Despite my disappointment in lack of OccuSync, I'm pleased that the enhanced wifi on Air plays in both 2.4 & 5.8, which should give it more room to breathe. I wouldn't select an Air if you're planning on operating outside of VLOS.

I'm guessing the lack of OccuSync is a limitation of size, heat, or power (or combination of such). Look at the OccuSync transmitter that you can buy to go with the Goggles RE. Two antennas & large VTX. We already know that DJI had to include a special design on Air to deal with heat. Perhaps the reduced requirements of wifi made it possible to keep the size and consumption small.

I'm guessing MP will stay my "I love to fly" drone, MA will become my "take some photos" drone, and Spark will be... my "take unnecessary risks drone" since refresh is quickly expiring in a few months. :)

Well after reading numerous posts about the air and about the MP and MPP i have canceled my order for the MA. I will be using my refunded balance for a MPP. Thanks for all of the the pros and cons for all 3 AC.

Well after reading numerous posts about the air and about the MP and MPP i have canceled my order for the MA. I will be using my refunded balance for a MPP. Thanks for all of the the pros and cons for all 3 AC.

MP is a great machine. Keep in mind people complain about everything and no one has their hands on the MA yet to say these wifi complaints are an issue.

MP is a great machine. Keep in mind people complain about everything and no one has their hands on the MA yet to say these wifi complaints are an issue.
I probably watched all of the youtube reviews that were posted day of release. And most were current MP and spark owners and said that the wifi was definitely an issue or at least holding tbe aircrat back.

That's interesting, I did, too, and only place I read it's a problem is on this forum.
From watching those videos I dont think necessarily that anyone said that it was an issue but if i remember there were comments on the wifi would possibly be a something that would be an issue when it came to connection distance.

<Nope I’m saving my money for MAvic Pro 2. The Air is a WiFi drone and I learned my lesson with the spark.>
I don't know how to use the quote thing...I'm old. Anyhow can't fly the spark in my backyard or with my Apple Watch on, it's pretty sketchy sometimes as far as connection.

I probably watched all of the youtube reviews that were posted day of release. And most were current MP and spark owners and said that the wifi was definitely an issue or at least holding tbe aircrat back.

The WiFi, as far as I know is the connection between the RC and the monitor you are using. The distance of your flying has nothing to do with the craft connection, it’s your monitor crapping out. I kept losing connection from the RC to my iPad because there is no OTG cable use [emoji35]. The Spark can fly almost as far as my MP, just blind sometimes. If you use the Wifi mode on the MP and use your phone for the RC, then your distance is limited. I’m still unclear what the MA uses for connection from RC to the bird. Either way, my order is canceled until further notice and actual user reviews here.

Well hopefully those issues have been corrected with the air, I am sure we will find out shortly when they start shipping. I notice Argos a large multi purpose retailer in the uk are now listing the mavic air included the combo back on there online store.
The range thing doesn’t bother me and probably many others. In the uk line of sight is the rule and if you can see it at 500 meters you have good eyesight. I think WiFi would cope easily with that.
I think the first videos on this forum and YouTube will be very interesting I’m sure there will be range tests going on all over. I just can’t understand why there seems to be such a downer on this forum on the air when it’s not even out for general release yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midlifecrisis77