DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I bought one, did you?

Reactions: philh24
I bout one. Didn’t want the fly more combo but do want spare batteries. Anyone have a lead on where to get some?

One thing to note for those of you that have never purchased directly from DJI...They (DJI) ship via FedEx and almost always ask for a delivery signature.
I’m gonna have a problem with that. I live alone in an apartment building and I’m at working during the day. Do they hold them at a FedEx office if you don’t sign for it ?

I’ll be waiting to find one used on the classifieds here or on Craigslist.

The downfall is the price point. And it was the exact downfall of the Spark.

By the time everything is said and done, the price is too close to the next step up.

Curious what more do you think the MP2 will have over this?

I'm waiting for side obstacle avoidance cameras. My one crash with my MPP occurred while it was orbiting a Point of Interest and flew sideways into a tree. If/when DJI releases a new model with 360 degree obstacle avoidance sensors I'll consider upgrading.

I’m gonna have a problem with that. I live alone in an apartment building and I’m at working during the day. Do they hold them at a FedEx office if you don’t sign for it ?

FedEx has a Deliver Manager service that you can sign up for. Once you're enrolled, you can use their app to mark your shipment "Hold for Pickup" and they will redirect it to the FedEx facility of your choice.

Reactions: scott rand
You can get it delivered to a FedEx store and sign for it there. I have done this many times.

Yes you should be able to change the delivery address on line or after the first attempt. Recently I have been able to get a form that I sign and leave on my door. This works if I am only taking a quick trip to the store and have a neighbor watching out for the delivery.

Consumer Drones Comparison- DJI

Conclusion: The Pro is the way to go.

I’m on the fence between the air and the Mavic Pro.
This would be my first DJI drone coming from a XIRO explore.
Any suggestions on steering me the right way would be appreciated.

I really think it depends what you are looking for. If you are looking for a more robust performance, meaning more distance and more flying time, and probably better in the wind, you go for the Mavic Pro. I can tell you from first hand experience, it’s a phenomenal drone.

If you are looking for more features, including more safety features, more intelligence features, and don’t mind having a 2+ mile limit (I never fly further than that), plus a way more compact travel drone, you can go with the Mavic Air.

If you’re just a maniac like myself, you spend all your money on both lol.

Granted one comm is better than the other, it doesn't mean everyone needs or warts that kind of range. I'm a beginner pilot and fly for fun. I am terrified when even trying to test the limits of my Mavic. I don't know that I want my $1000 4 miles away from me. Is 2 miles away any better...no. Just my .2
That's true, we all had reluctance about getting too far way as beginners. However, you won't always be a beginner, and as time passes, as you gain more confidence in the craft and your skill set, you'll try things you never planned or even thought of in the beginning. It's good to take things slow as there's a lot to learn to hone your flight and photography/videography skills. My point is Wifi is old technology, not designed for air to ground video communication. It inherently does not work as well as Lightbridge/Ocu-Sync which was designed to optimize air to ground video communications. It's apples and oranges IMO, as the integrity of a WiFi signal connection is way more fragile and anemic compared to Lightbridge/Ocu-Sync. For an all around drone MP is the solution IMO, if portability is important. However, if money is no option, then having the Air as a second craft can be a fun option when hiking or biking, or on vacation when you want some selfies and short range panoramas. It appears the Air can be a good fit for folks that aren't as passionate (or a beginner) about droning as others that push the limits with time. If you just want some good photos and videos of vacations, kids playing, then the Air appears to offer very good value, a great entry level craft. Also, if you get a refresh policy, you could also take more risk with the Air in sketchy situations, like river running, flying under bridges, flying through forests, indoors, etc....after you get good at flying. Smaller craft are better in tight quarters, and less financial risk.

Reactions: philh24 and R1Mavic
That's true, we all had reluctance about getting too far way as beginners. However, you won't always be a beginner, and as time passes, as you gain more confidence in the craft and your skill set, you'll try things you never planned or even thought of in the beginning. It's good to take things slow as there's a lot to learn to hone your flight and photography/videography skills. My point is Wifi is old technology, not designed for air to ground video communication. It inherently does not work as well as Lightbridge/Ocu-Sync which was designed to optimize air to ground video communications. It's apples and oranges IMO, as the integrity of a WiFi signal connection is way more fragile and anemic compared to Lightbridge/Ocu-Sync. For an all around drone MP is the solution IMO, if portability is important. However, if money is no option, then having the Air as a second craft can be a fun option when hiking or biking, or on vacation when you want some selfies and short range panoramas. It appears the Air can be a good fit for folks that aren't as passionate (or a beginner) about droning as others that push the limits with time. If you just want some good photos and videos of vacations, kids playing, then the Air appears to offer very good value, a great entry level craft. Also, if you get a refresh policy, you could also take more risk with the Air in sketchy situations, like river running, flying under bridges, flying through forests, indoors, etc....after you get good at flying. Smaller craft are better in tight quarters, and less financial risk.

All points taken into consideration. Makes complete sense. Until this thread, I didn't know what technology my Mavic was using. My plan at this point, now that this "problem" has been pointed out with the Air is to get it and see if I am capable of doing all the things I do with the Mavic. If I cannot, I will likely return it. My hopes were for it to replace my Mavic due to increased portability. If I cannot do the same things it's no good to me.

Reactions: philh24
All points taken into consideration. Makes complete sense. Until this thread, I didn't know what technology my Mavic was using. My plan at this point, now that this "problem" has been pointed out with the Air is to get it and see if I am capable of doing all the things I do with the Mavic. If I cannot, I will likely return it. My hopes were for it to replace my Mavic due to increased portability. If I cannot do the same things it's no good to me.

I can already tell you - WiFi won't cut it if you live around buildings with all sorts of microwaves, phones, WiFi networks etc. I speak for experience here. Range is one thing, but interference is just going to be an issue.

I'd happily have paid another $100 over the cost of the Air for OcuSync.

Reactions: tegrevboy
I can already tell you - WiFi won't cut it if you live around buildings with all sorts of microwaves, phones, WiFi networks etc. I speak for experience here. Range is one thing, but interference is just going to be an issue.

Interference in what regard? Roque planes, crashes, etc? Tell me what we have to look forward to.

Interference in what regard? Roque planes, crashes, etc? Tell me what we have to look forward to.
WiFi interference from homes and businesses will impair the range and signal integrity of drones using WiFi, more so than with Lightbridge/Ocu-Sync. Some places you'll able to fly mile away no problem, and others you'll struggle with 1500' due to interference, restricting the range. It just depends on how much interference you encounter where you fly. You're range consistency goes right out the window.

All other drone manufacturers use WiFi, it's proven to work, but the limitations are greater. That's why DJI has 70% of the drone market today, because of Lightbridge/Ocu-Sync. Nobody else compares. Spark, P3S and Mavic Air are the exceptions to this, these are entry level drones that don't use Lightbridge, or Ocu-Sync, which is another iteration of Lightbridge.

That said, DJI made it clear they did some tuning to the Wifi in Mavic Air to get their claimed 2.5Mi range. I personally don't believe the craft will get much over 1mi in most cases, unless you're in the desert with nothing around, but I hope I'm wrong. When a WiFi connection looses the connection, it takes a long time to reconnect, unlike Lightbridge which reconnects fairly quick, usually in 5 to 15 seconds on first signs of weak signal in fringe distance. Wifi seems to always take 30+ seconds to re-establish a connection (correct me if I'm off), and this happens more often, due to the TCP/IP handshake protocol (check sums, packet confirmation) of WiFi, inherent to the technology.

Reactions: R1Mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drxenon