DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I crashed my Mavic 1. Upgrade to Mavic 2 Pro? I'm really not sure...

philip100

Reactions
Hello.

I was kinda happy with my Mavic 1 Pro.
Before I bought it, I've seen a lot nicely graded footages on YT. I did some reserch and I knew exactly what to expect from it's tiny sensor (I shoot DSLR's proffesionally).
Well, the only irrirating thing I didn't expect was noise flickering, but I learned how to handle it at some degree...

Now, after I crashed my drone (only by my stupidity, sic!), I think of buying another, but honestly - it's quite a while after Mavic 2 Pro premiere, and I still can't find any good footage? All movies taken with this drone are somehow "misty" (like you shoot through an old piece of plastic, not a glass lens), and most of them feels soo narrow to consider them as "Aerial" (It's probably because of the HQ mode that ppl use the most). I really don't see anyone who managed to take any joyfull image out of it.

I don't want to be rude or something. Just when you crash your drone, and you want to go for another, your first look is an upgrade, naturally.
You see a successor, with a big "HASSELBLAD" label (which means this toy was made for imaging) and the only advantages you see in this drone are "Smart modes" and sensors. The image quality is for sure different compared to MK1, but it's rather sidegrade than upgrade...

I'm the only one who doesn't see any upgrade in this drone? :confused:

Kindly,
Artur

Reactions: LucVN
Just do it, I did and have not looked back! I didn't crash my Mavic though, I sold it.

A bit longer battery life, a much larger sensor and almost double the megapixels in still image shots, more sensors, great dynamic range in your stills or video. 265 instead of 264, able to slide finger left and right as you fly to allow for panning in a straight line flight, these sound like upgrades to me. But, each to his/her own.

So here is my 2 cents, coming from someone who upgraded (still have the MP though) 3 days ago. Keep in mind I am not an expert photographer and don't want to learn. I like to put things on auto and take off and put my goggles on. I most like flying about 1.5 meters off the ground in sport mode. Quite a rush ;) As far as photography goes, I just want the video coming out of the M2P to look good and most of all... be in focus. The only 2 things I adjust are focus and the "ev".

All of the lingering issues that the MP had / has have pretty much been solved. Bare in mind, I was unfortunate enough to get a refurb MP unit even though I paid for a new unit. Did not find out until it was too late to do a return.

These are the things that matter to me, and are better with the M2P:

1) Build quality. My M2P feels like a flying brick. All of the limbs are super tight, the battery once clipped in feels like its one with the body. Both issues were present with my MP. Slightly loose rear left arm (which I replaced twice because of this, never fully solving the issue), battery that had a tiny bit of a jiggle to it. All are perfect now.

2) Drunken horizon. Look it up on youtube. Its a fairly know issue, when doing a fast (or even not so fast) yaw, your horizion will tilt and take some time to return to straight. Sometimes it may not. This is 100% solved with the M2P. Perfect flat horizion, every time.

3) Focus. I know this is possibly user error, but I fly mainly over large open landscapes (eg: farm land). I could never quite get the focus 100% right on my MP. On the M2P, I click the infinity icon and I have a perfectly focused image, all around. NO, I am not an expert photographer... In an ideal world I would be able to purchase a Mavic Air (which has everything focused all of the time), with occusync. But that does not exist.

4) "Wheel Error". Small issue, but fairly consistent. Known issue (look it up on dji forums or even here). Non existant on my M2P.

5) "Stick 2 Interference - Manual RTH" error - Small issue again, as this only popped up when it was very cold out but it was about 1c today and it did not pop up on my M2P.

6) Slightly orange tint to the videos coming out of the MP. On the M2P, the color that comes out with everything on "auto" just looks a lot better.

7) Removable sticks - Big plus for me, maybe not for others. I have to walk about 3-4 minutes to my flying spot. I carry the goggles in a back pack, mavic in my hand and the controller under my jacket. Feel a lot better knowing the sticks are off with it knocking around under my jacket / in my jacket pocket.

8) Watching the M2P hover today, in slightly windy conditions I can say without a doubt... It is much more stable. Not that the MP was / is not stable... But this thing is more stable.

I skipped all of the things I am sure you know about... Longer battery life, much better video / picture quality, a much better gimbal, all around sensors (which I turn off and leave off anyways) etc etc etc.

There is NO question it is a better unit.

The only down side I can think of, and this is specific to EU (CE) countries so may not even apply to you is this:

The M2P/M2Z has not yet been cracked. So without either doing some drawn out ways of forcing FCC mode OR using an iOS device (which I do not have), there is no way to force FCC mode. I am sure this will eventually change. Although by the 2.5km flight I did today, I may not even need it as the furthest I can take it out is about 3.5km before I start to hit fairly densly populated areas which I do not feel too comfortable flying in.

I am attaching a pic from a video I shot today. This was with the following settings, which I set because I watched a few youtube videos and they said this is a good starting point. Like I said, screen shot from a video played back in VLC.

a) Focus set by clicking the infinity icon in manual mode.
b) 4K "HD" mode.
c) Sharpness +1.
d) Everything else on "auto" or "best quality" (best quality as in what ever each setting gives the best quality).

...buy it... you wont regret it.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 94
The sensor in the Mavic 2 Pro is most certainly not a sidegrade, it's a big upgrade over the Mavic 1. I also mainly work with FF sensors in my cameras so the tiny 1/2.3in sensor was a frustration to work with as there's little latitude in the raw files. The Mavic 2 Pro isn't perfect and I wouldn't say the IQ is as good as the Sony 1in sensor cameras like the RX10 or RX100 but I still find it a huge improvement over the Mavic 1, I took this quick screenshot to show much can be recovered in the shadows and highlights:

MP2_Compared-XL.png

I bought the Mavic 2 Pro for the camera upgrade but I've been impressed with the rest of it as well, there's no other big upgrades but lots of small items that improve it. The battery performance is good, the Mavic 2 handles winds better, the one piece gimbal clamp is neater, the onboard 8GB memory comes in handy when you've left the SD card in a reader, the better avoidance sensors give a little more peace of mind, the landing light makes it easier to land at night and I like being able to toggle into tripod mode via the switch.

Many of these are incremental upgrades and the Mavic 1 is still a great drone but personally I've never regretted upgrading primarily for the camera.

Hello.

I was kinda happy with my Mavic 1 Pro.
Before I bought it, I've seen a lot nicely graded footages on YT. I did some reserch and I knew exactly what to expect from it's tiny sensor (I shoot DSLR's proffesionally).
Well, the only irrirating thing I didn't expect was noise flickering, but I learned how to handle it at some degree...

Now, after I crashed my drone (only by my stupidity, sic!), I think of buying another, but honestly - it's quite a while after Mavic 2 Pro premiere, and I still can't find any good footage? All movies taken with this drone are somehow "misty" (like you shoot through an old piece of plastic, not a glass lens), and most of them feels soo narrow to consider them as "Aerial" (It's probably because of the HQ mode that ppl use the most). I really don't see anyone who managed to take any joyfull image out of it.

I don't want to be rude or something. Just when you crash your drone, and you want to go for another, your first look is an upgrade, naturally.
You see a successor, with a big "HASSELBLAD" label (which means this toy was made for imaging) and the only advantages you see in this drone are "Smart modes" and sensors. The image quality is for sure different compared to MK1, but it's rather sidegrade than upgrade...

I'm the only one who doesn't see any upgrade in this drone? :confused:

Kindly,
Artur
I share your considerations here. I'm actually more impressed with the zoom. Same UAS so you get the upgrade and I like the footage I've seen.

Reactions: Colberado
Thanks for the Info this post is great.!
I like to fly at Dusk and sunrise I'm not a videotog I'm a JPG guy
the Bigger sensor would be a wonderful change From my MP1
the MP2 will go both ways Buy a pro and get a zoom camera and hardware and swap
Get the best of both worlds
....cR

Artur, I also am not seeing any real upgrade in the new mavics

my biggest issue against the M2P is that DJi bought into (or bought out?) Hasselblad and just threw the name of that reputable medium format camera company on a tiny 1" sensor camera... desecrating what was left of that mummified corpse of a company. this corpse made the X1D - a $10k medium format digital camera that was so crappy that they basically cut the price in HALF shortly after...
if they didn't put Hasselblad's name on there, i probably would have bought one by now.

However... these good points ...
So here is my 2 cents, coming from someone who upgraded (still have the MP though) 3 days ago. Keep in mind I am not an expert photographer and don't want to learn. I like to put things on auto and take off and put my goggles on. I most like flying about 1.5 meters off the ground in sport mode. Quite a rush ;) As far as photography goes, I just want the video coming out of the M2P to look good and most of all... be in focus. The only 2 things I adjust are focus and the "ev".

All of the lingering issues that the MP had / has have pretty much been solved. Bare in mind, I was unfortunate enough to get a refurb MP unit even though I paid for a new unit. Did not find out until it was too late to do a return.

2) Drunken horizon. Look it up on youtube. Its a fairly know issue, when doing a fast (or even not so fast) yaw, your horizion will tilt and take some time to return to straight. Sometimes it may not. This is 100% solved with the M2P. Perfect flat horizion, every time.

7) Removable sticks - Big plus for me, maybe not for others. I have to walk about 3-4 minutes to my flying spot. I carry the goggles in a back pack, mavic in my hand and the controller under my jacket. Feel a lot better knowing the sticks are off with it knocking around under my jacket / in my jacket pocket.

8) Watching the M2P hover today, in slightly windy conditions I can say without a doubt... It is much more stable. Not that the MP was / is not stable... But this thing is more stable.

I skipped all of the things I am sure you know about... Longer battery life, much better video / picture quality, a much better gimbal, all around sensors (which I turn off and leave off anyways) etc etc etc.

The M2P/M2Z has not yet been cracked. So without either doing some drawn out ways of forcing FCC mode OR using an iOS device (which I do not have), there is no way to force FCC mode. I am sure this will eventually change. Although by the 2.5km flight I did today, I may not even need it as the furthest I can take it out is about 3.5km before I start to hit fairly densly populated areas which I do not feel too comfortable flying in.

these are the strongest issues i have with the MP1 that make me want to upgrade.

i went from a mavic air to a mavic pro platinum and ...
drunken horizon is ridiculous. i didn't have this issue with the mavic air... unless flying around in sport mode
it was STABLE hovering compared to the mavic pro
and yes... the removable sticks are great when throwing everything in a bag. my MP1 controller has scratched things.

however, the 2nd biggest issue i have against the MP2 is the lack of publicly available hacks. i'll eventually upgrade when the price of a refurb or used M2P is about 50% and hacks are out and all the optimum parameter tweaks are discovered.

I like my zoom They all have limits. Even 1” can be considered a “compact” camera

I had the same issue „watering“ my MP1 once.

Purchased a MP2 Pro and gave my MP1 as a present to my daughter.
The MP2 is better in all regards besides being a bit heavier.

From the "more information department "
I just read that
The Mavic pro 2
Can withstand Level 5 winds
In the Beaufort scale
Can not confirm what level the MP1. Can withstand
....cR

I did a lot of research before I bought the Mavic 2 Pro. Side by side with the Mavic Pro Platinum the M2P beats it in virtually every single category. I was frustrated in the process of judging the video quality because it was fairly difficult to find actual 4K footage. The video samples on most websites were down-converted to 1080p or less and some of it was actually quite bad. I was finally able to find a few good 4K samples and I was blown away. My own footage (from a video quality perspective only) continues to blow me away.

If you can afford it, the decision is a no brainer.

Thanks everyone for the input

(...)If you can afford it, the decision is a no brainer.

Yes, it actually is.

When I started my DSLR adventure, I was always falling into this kind of "no brainer" decisions. After spending a lot money, I clearly see mistakes I made (and the real power of advertising management).
Therefore I developed in myself: "show me the results first" ;-)

I decided to wait for a Platinum (?) version, and as for now I got a second-hand mavic Air for basic stuff :)

Artur, I also am not seeing any real upgrade in the new mavics

my biggest issue against the M2P is that DJi bought into (or bought out?) Hasselblad and just threw the name of that reputable medium format camera company on a tiny 1" sensor camera... desecrating what was left of that mummified corpse of a company. this corpse made the X1D - a $10k medium format digital camera that was so crappy that they basically cut the price in HALF shortly after...
if they didn't put Hasselblad's name on there, i probably would have bought one by now.

I know your feelings exactly.

I was working in a product photography branch for quite a while. I had undeniable pleasure to work with P1 / HB, as well as other MF cameras in a short period of time, including workshops. I don't miss product photography branch whatsoever, but what I really miss (except image quality), are leaf shutter lens...
It's sad to say, but that's how the things built up on pure ideology ends up - being only a recognizable name, sticked on a crap. I'm really pity for Pentax too.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobDoLe

Yes, it actually is.

When I started my DSLR adventure, I was always falling into this kind of "no brainer" decisions. After spending a lot money, I clearly see mistakes I made (and the real power of advertising management).

I decided to wait for a Platinum (?) version, and as for now I got a second-hand mavic Air for basic stuff :)

I guess what I was trying to share was that for me it is a no brainer. I researched this for two years before making a decision and this is one of those time where the results met and exceeded all of my expectations. Good luck.

I was working in a product photography branch for quite a while. I had undeniable pleasure to work with P1 / HB, as well as other MF cameras in a short period of time, including workshops. I don't miss product photography branch whatsoever, but what I really miss (except image quality), are leaf shutter lens...
It's sad to say, but that's how the things built up on pure ideology ends up - being only a recognizable name, sticked on a crap. I'm really pity for Pentax too.

Yes, it actually is.

I guess what I was trying to share was that for me it is a no brainer. I researched this for two years before making a decision and this is one of those times where the results met and exceeded all of my expectations. Good luck.

Reactions: philip100
I know I said I didn't think it was an upgrade, but after losing my mp1 platinum in an unfortunate accident that was found to be due to manufacturer defect, I am selling the new replacement and took on a Mavic 2 pro.

I have to say I was wrong and this 1" sensor is a real wonder that makes the mp1 camera feel like it's 10 years older. If I crank the ISO way up to like 3200 or something it starts to resemble m1p image quality. The ability to stop down is also a godsend. The aircraft and gimbal are more solid, yet at the same time it feels like DJI figured out how to make it cheaper and lighter in areas that make sense.

I

Reactions: ff22
I'd seriously look at the Zoom.

The Zoom is my first "proper" drone aside from a Bugs 3 pro and I have to say it is amazing. I spent a loooong time comparing the M1P, M2P and M2Z before coming to a decision. I was in the dilemma of is an extra 3/400 worth the move to the MP2.

What i've noticed is loads of people have got the M2P because it has the bigger sensor etc so most have brought that and therefore most suggest it. Luckily I was late to the party so I had the ability to see reviews for all.

My findings were

M1P & platinum- While still great, MP2s are the new generation. Upgrade to one now and will last in the longer term. i.e if a MP3 comes out your are unlikely to upgrade as M2s are very good

M2P - From reviews I have seen this is better for pictures whilst people suggest the Zoom for videos although you are probably unlikely to notice unless side by side. Also worth mentioning that pics / videos you see uploaded can vary greatly especially if people have done work post capture. That said the M2P does have the bigger sensor so if pictures are your thing then it is definitely worth the investment.

M2Z - You probably guessed I will be slightly biased towards this one as is the one I went for but I did have the funds to get the M2P so it wasn't an easy choice. Firstly it is cheaper so the difference between a M1Plat and a M2Z is not actually that different. The videos are epic, as mentioned above when uploading to sites videos are generally degraded but when I hook the M2Z up to my 4k tv I am truly blown away each time. Reviews / Other owners - this is a big one. If you look at M2P vs M2Z comparison videos (and I have seen many!) you will find that for everyday use most end up tending to suggest the zoom as the go to. I have also had a number of people say they wished they got the zoom rather than the M2P and also some who have both saying they prefer the zoom.

That said it is all personal preference and what you need it for. I think you will be impressed with either of the M2s.

Reactions: Lbesing and ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS