DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I did a more realistic battery life/flight time test.

Some geeks insert current limiting resistor rather than isolating power wire.
It's also reported as a working solution to stop phone charging.

I thought about that last night, maybe 1 k or whatever it takes for recognition that the cable is present. Thanks for reminding me. I'm getting old and will have to write that down to keep from forgetting it ;-)

Because the android device is charging your controller. Under iOS this does not occur.
Isn’t it the opposite? I think the controller charges the android device. I could be mistaken.

OK I now have an extra cable on order. I will experiment with it to see if isolating the power wire does not stop the controller and Samsung phone from communicating. I will post the results.

As promised, here are the results. The red (5v) wire in the micro USB cable was severed and it's free ends attached to clips for testing. The highest resistance that resulted in a good recognition of the remote was only about 5 Ohms, not promising. A current measurement device was used to measure the battery drain through this wire to the Samsung Galaxy S6 phone. In all cases, regardless of the charge of the phone (tested at 30% and 100% charge), about 290 ma of current flowed from the controller to the phone.
Result: Nothing usable placed in series in the wire could reduce the amount of current drained from the remote and still allow the devices to communicate. At this point, I have no idea where the current is being consumed.current drain Mavic control to S6 phone.jpg the wasted

Is your phone at 100% before flying? The RC will charge your phone whilst it's connected.
Does this mean if your phone isn’t at 100% the controller will be charging the phone? That could limit you when you fly midday when your phone might be at 70% if you’ve been away from home for hours. Or does your phone have to be at a critically low level? I have an IPhone 7.

Does this mean if your phone isn’t at 100% the controller will be charging the phone? That could limit you when you fly midday when your phone might be at 70% if you’ve been away from home for hours. Or does your phone have to be at a critically low level? I have an IPhone 7.
This only occurs with Android.

Reactions: sirbadger
This only occurs with Android.
So, the controller won’t automatically charge an iPhone. Thanks Thomas B. My mini is on its way so I stay tuned to this forum as I did when I got the first edition mavic pro.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun