DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I did something dumb and crashed my MPP

Turn11

Reactions
I am new to drones and RC flying, I have been flying at a city operated multiple soccer field. gaining experience and confidence.

A few weeks ago I updated firmware and the next time I went flying I had an error message. MPP - Calibration error     .PNG I understood (I thought) my exposure and went flying. AC was a little unstable but I was flying on the soccer field so I wasn't concerned.

A few days later a friend wanted to know where I fly and I took him. They were cutting the grass and I didn't want to interfere so I moved the landing pad beside the shed. I usually run with lost signal set to hover. Usually I have 14 - 16 satellites. I took off from a landing pad and on a whim I decided to land on the table, I did not think it would be a problem landing there. MPP - Attempted landing area     .jpg

The shed is about 15' square, all metal and no electrical. There was a 4 MPH wind according to Weather Bug, UAV Forecast & Ventusky. I have never experienced any RC / AC disconnects (yet).

I was coming in slowly from the right, I was over the table seat and it started to rise up and went backwards into the side of the roof. One broken prop and 3 scuffed (all trash).

What did I do wrong?

Thunderdrones repair parts needed list:
A new right rear arm, a new LVDS cable for video feed, gimbal L bracket, and right front arm pin (holds the arm to the drone)
This particular learning experience cost $241.00. Hopefully this is my one and only.

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
If that's a metal roof it would likely cut off GPS and the wind could take it.
If the downward sensors were working properly they should take over assuming good lighting, but they weren't according to the message you disregarded.

You can still control it manually without either of those systems but need to be on the ball to step in, and it's easy to over compensate in a tight spot.

Sorry to Hear the News..
After looking a few things over... and to add to the "metal roofing"...
1) the table is also a metalic webbing covered in a rubber material..- This could throw off some magnetic disturbances
2) the other thing is as the table top and benches have holes. This can confuse the camera visual sensors by "seeing" the ground, then not
-2a.- the sonic sensors can get mixed signals when some reflections 'see' the top of the table and others 'see' the ground.
-2b.- Oh and the last thing... as you passed over the seat...(with holes / also metalic)- but then continuing inward some sensors may have seen the table top and gotten mixed signals...
Had this experience not been documented, it would be a total unknown what would happen if one were to attempt such a landing.
Perhaps another attempt (in the future) with or without calibrated sensors would have been successful ... or still ended up in the same situation..

We have the same tables at our parks and various flying locations- If I hadn't read your msg , this very well could have been an incident I may well have had to write to all..
I've landed on a few tables in many of my flights but none with the holes, or came inward sides ways, always very vertical over the center top.

Anyway thanks for sharing- everyone else can take this as a lesson learned and to not make such a risky move.
-Safe landings to you when it comes back ready to FLY!! :)

If that's a metal roof it would likely cut off GPS and the wind could take it.
If the downward sensors were working properly they should take over assuming good lighting, but they weren't according to the message you disregarded.

You can still control it manually without either of those systems but need to be on the ball to step in, and it's easy to over compensate in a tight spot.

I had been flying in a wide (I mean WIDE) open multiple X-Y soccer fields so downward vision wasn't too important to me in those conditions. At least once I used RTH and let it land when I saw it slow just before touchdown. Accuracy was about 4' off but in the open I wasn't too concerned (knowing the error I was flying under) When I attempted to land under the shed I was on edge knowing I was taking a risk. I posted my .DAT logs here. I am auctions to see what I did with the sticks, satelites when things started to go wrong

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh