DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I found it...thank you

Thinking about the my above comment.
I wonder what would happen if communication was lost with the drone for whatever reason whilst it was on a automatic low battery RTH and button were stabbed and control sticks wiggled could that cancel the RTH.
The only way to cancel a RTH is to do it via App or the actual remote button for RTH...wiggling sticks or any other button will have no effect. However if you have your system (Depending on which drone) return to home can be "Flown/adjusted". That is to say you will still have Yaw, height, roll...ect. IT will still attempt a Bee Line home but you can have a look around while it is doing a RTH in most DJI Products if set up correctly.

The only way to cancel a RTH is to do it via App or the actual remote button for RTH...wiggling sticks or any other button will have no effect. However if you have your system (Depending on which drone) return to home can be "Flown/adjusted". That is to say you will still have Yaw, height, roll...ect. IT will still attempt a Bee Line home but you can have a look around while it is doing a RTH in most DJI Products if set up correctly.
Hi Repaid1,
My drone is the DJI Mini 2 (Flymore Combo), I have set the drone to return to home in the DJI Fly App.
So if things go wrong just need to keep my big fat thumb away from the RTH/Cancel screen button.

I noticed in a fairly recent DJI Fly App update that you can now take control over Yaw, Elevation during a RTH without interfering with the RTH function.

A quick stab on the home button whilst in flight acts as an emergency brake and stops the drone almost instantly, now I am wondering if that still applies during a low battery RTH, and would it then still continue its RTH.
A little playing with these functions I feel may be the order of the day.

The low battery RTH can be cancelled if the controller is in contact with the drone, that was part of my testing with the Mavic Mini, I did not want the drone landing (long wet grass). So I rebooted the controller once the RTH had started and took over control and overrode the RTH and hand caught etc..
Things become more complicated once the battery gets really low and the drone decides it wants to land. Then control becomes more difficult, it requires a LOT of throttle just to keep the drone in the air and laterally control seems 'woolly',
There was or is a recent thread where a drone was flown untl the battery did not have enough power left to keep the drone in the air and the drone when deep sea diving (Black Sea or that area). There are also videos on youtube of drones being at very low battery charge levels over water (bad planning and returning into head winds) and being forced to fly until they made the shore line ------or not.
Obviously it is better to save the drone but repeatedly flying to such extremes is, I believe, likely to damage the battery.
I recollect reading that loss of video signal can trigger RTH, if that is correct I am unaware of having experienced it and I do not know how to experiment with it.

With the Mavic Mini moving one of the sticks (I have forgotten which stick and need to check) can halt the climb to RTH height if the drone is over 60?ft up but still below the RTH height, it then starts to fly towards the home point. I have not yet looked to see if the Mini 2 has the same behaviour

Last edited by a moderator:
The low battery RTH can be cancelled if the controller is in contact with the drone, that was part of my testing with the Mavic Mini, I did not want the drone landing (long wet grass). So I rebooted the controller once the RTH had started and took over control and overrode the RTH and hand caught etc..
Things become more complicated once the battery gets really low and the drone decides it wants to land. Then control becomes more difficult, it requires a LOT of throttle just to keep the drone in the air and laterally control seems 'woolly',
There was or is a recent thread where a drone was flown untl the battery did not have enough power left to keep the drone in the air and the drone when deep sea diving (Black Sea or that area). There are also videos on youtube of drones being at very low battery charge levels over water (bad planning and returning into head winds) and being forced to fly until they made the shore line ------or not.
Obviously it is better to save the drone but repeatedly flying to such extremes is, I believe, likely to damage the battery.
I recollect reading that loss of video signal can trigger RTH, if that is correct I am unaware of having experienced it and I do not know how to experiment with it.

With the Mavic Mini moving one of the sticks (I have forgotten which stick and need to check) can halt the climb to RTH height if the drone is over 60?ft up but still below the RTH height, it then starts to fly towards the home point. I have not yet looked to see if the Mini 2 has the same behaviour
My understanding is if a drone (DJI) loses contact with the controller the drone will stop and after a few moments the drone will back up 50 meters and try to make contact with the controller, if it can not make contact the drone will go to your set RTH height and come home, if it does make contact after the 50 metre backup your good to go.
Please correct me if this is wrong because I want to be equipped with accurate info. Thanks

I believe that to be correct but check what modifications there are if the reverse brings it within 20m of the home point. I think I have seen the reverse but I need to get out into an open space to really watch it closely.
Personally I think it is better to trigger a failsafe in a safe area before you encounter it for real in a real flight.
I want to check if the reverse includes any height changes made during the 'last' 50m of outward bound flight , I think it should but better to know for certain.
I also want to check what happena if the outbound flight zigzagged.

I believe that to be correct but check what modifications there are if the reverse brings it within 20m of the home point. I think I have seen the reverse but I need to get out into an open space to really watch it closely.
Personally I think it is better to trigger a failsafe in a safe area before you encounter it for real in a real flight.
I want to check if the reverse includes any height changes made during the 'last' 50m of outward bound flight , I think it should but better to know for certain.
I also want to check what happena if the outbound flight zigzagged.
I agree it would be disastrous if the last 50 meters flown were at a low altitude and you had been flying around things that were higher that the height of the drone.
You would want the drone to rise to the set RTH height before it started backing up trying to make contact again.

Hi experts,

I'm very sorry to post this, but due to irresponsible flying, my Mini 2 is gone? I can't believe that return to home altitude was set to 15m, it was at least 60m on the previous flight.

I don't know if you can help me locate it (if it hasn't been stolen..or worse). I feel terrible
I feel for you. Been there. Many or most of us own the t-shirt. Somehow, it will work out. “Life leads on to way…”I Read the whole thread. It’s awesome that the members here are so wonderfully responsive. I love these posts although with better end results of course. Best of the best to you! We all find a way to get back flying somehow. Godspeed, Droniac

Reactions: Drone Views Media
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu