DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I got my new Mavic Air, now I`m a bad neighbor!

Jscuzz

Reactions
I have owned a couple of toy drones over the past couple of months and when I have flown them the guys would come over and watch. They thought they were cute.

I got my Air and took it out yesterday. While it's capabilities were amazing the one common remark was: "It sure is noisy". I found myself flying above 200' just to lessen the noise.

A close friend who was there remarked "If I was out on our patio relaxing and that was flying around I would find it very annoying".

Another fellow droner just put Master Airscrew Stealth props on his Mavic Air and while they are better they still do not quiet the Air down that much. I ordered a set of Spark and Anafi props last night to see if the DIY mod will help.

I was flipping coins between buying the Mavic Air or Anafi and knowing what I know now about the noise level of the Air the Parrot was probably a better choice for me because of the area I live in.

It's hard to believe a company like DJI who seems to be so concerned with the impact their products have would release such an annoying drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: NAVMAV
I’ll bet your neighbors would say the same thing regardless of the drone... Not as bad as their lawnmower though I’d bet, and doesn’t last as long... and likely were more concerned about privacy than noise.
I know your just trying to be a good neighbor. I quit flying at home pretty quick while early learning to fly (I’m on 2.5 acres) because I didn’t want to raise concerns and only flew when the neighbors were at work. Point is you have a top rated drone, be considerate, but never self conscious.

While I was walking my dog yesterday evening, I saw a Phantom 4 flying outside. Apparently, it was his first flight. I had a chat with him to ask about what he was doing and show him a few controls (how to take it out of beginner mode whenever he's ready, sensitivity settings, etc.).

That evening, the neighborhood's Facebook page lit up about that operator. There was a comment or two about noise; but his greater sin, as it turned out, was hovering over someone's patio. He went away and back a few times, and that other neighbor confronted him. I was asked to weigh in a few times, because I earned their trust early on by doing two things: (a) Let them know when, where, and why I will be flying and (b) posting some of what I get for everybody to see.

They will be getting a letter from the HOA, with my input.

Reactions: orca.skynet
Yeah, I learned the hard way too. Don't even fly over the neighbors' homes unless you're out of hearing range. They may think you're casing their home or children. Definitely don't hover above your neighbors.

That's why I bought the Mavic 2 Zoom. I really love the Air's compact size, but the Mavic 2's are just so super quiet. Especially once you get 20-30 feet in the air, its near silent. Then with the Zoom, its great taking shots of things 2-3 blocks away, without having to hover over someone's property.

But yeah, love that Air size. But it was way too noisy, like an annoying leaf blower. The frequency pitch is the worst.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I finished modding a set of Anafi propeller blades to fit Mavic Smart hubs that have the same attachment as the Air. Flew it last night and no vibration or motor warnings in Sport Mode.

For awhile I will keep them close as I get more comfortable with them.

What a difference!

I always find these comments funny because of how hypocritical they are. I bet nobody likes listening to their barking dogs, screaming kids, lawn mowers, air conditioners, weed whackers, idling vehicles, music, outdoor conversations on the back deck, etc etc.etc. but what you will find with people like this is their line for acceptable noise is always precisely set just above the things they do themselves that make noise. It's unfortunately very typical.

If you end up finding out that it's the privacy aspect they are more concerned with, offer them to have a look at some footage so they can see you would have to be hovering literally outside their window to see anything @24mm. Offer them a free roof/solar panel inspection, or anything else they might find valuable.

If it's mid-day and you're allowed to make reasonable noise, go about your business and don't feel bad about it - just respect the laws with regards to flying over their property, etc. I wouldn't suggest compromising your drone and voiding your warranty by using aftermarket props. Unless you're flying 10 feet above their head, any noise they hear is faint and the passing traffic is probably noisier.

10' with a Mavic Air, you can hardly talk.

And how does all that make you a better neighbor?

10' with a Mavic Air, you can hardly talk.

And how does all that make you a better neighbor?

Yup - that's what I said.... "Unless you're flying 10 feet above their head....."

Being a good neighbor is a 2-way street. If one neighbor wants to be able to do anything they want and make as much noise as they want, but expect every other neighbor to act differently - that neighbor is behaving like an entitled d*ck. Also it's not like you're blasting rock music at all hours of the night, they might heat a faint "buzz" during normal daytime hours - if that bothers them, and if they ever make any noise at all, they are hypocrites.

Maybe try my above suggestions for putting their minds at ease regarding a possible "spying" concern, and offering them free roof inspections.

Unfortunately we live in Surprise AZ, no, lawns.:)
Similar situation as I am in Scottsdale. I had a Mavic Air and sold it because one of my neighbors said it sounded like swarming bees. I sold it and got a Mavic 2 which is not as noisy. I do my best to also fly when I here someone trimming their trees or some other type of racket. I also try and fly when they're not outside. I still have fear that they are going to cause trouble. I just do my best to mind my manners.

I have owned a couple of toy drones over the past couple of months and when I have flown them the guys would come over and watch. They thought they were cute.

I got my Air and took it out yesterday. While it's capabilities were amazing the one common remark was: "It sure is noisy". I found myself flying above 200' just to lessen the noise.

A close friend who was there remarked "If I was out on our patio relaxing and that was flying around I would find it very annoying".

Another fellow droner just put Master Airscrew Stealth props on his Mavic Air and while they are better they still do not quiet the Air down that much. I ordered a set of Spark and Anafi props last night to see if the DIY mod will help.

I was flipping coins between buying the Mavic Air or Anafi and knowing what I know now about the noise level of the Air the Parrot was probably a better choice for me because of the area I live in.

It's hard to believe a company like DJI who seems to be so concerned with the impact their products have would release such an annoying drone.
The mav air is a pretty buzzy quad that’s for sure. I have a mp but one of my neighbours has an air and I can hear when I’m inside my house if it’s within a few houses of ours

The mav air is a pretty buzzy quad that’s for sure. I have a mp but one of my neighbours has an air and I can hear when I’m inside my house if it’s within a few houses of ours
Windows open? Maybe something is wrong with his prop selection?

A 'Good' Neighbor example:

Guy two doors over is installing a Pool soon, and asked for a Fly By to take some 'Before' pix. Above is one of them, and he's ecstatic.

Rgds, NAVMAV

Question for you. Beautiful picture, btw.

Did you get permission from the property owner to post the pic? I only ask because the GPS info is still in the pic's metadata.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard