DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I had an interesting visit from the police the other day.

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I’m living in Thailand for six months and in my favourite place, Patong, nice hotel in the jungle. There is a new road being built from Patong to Phuket, not yet finished, but one particular point has an amazing vista a phenomenal view and I fly from there and have been doing so frequently. Well, the other day, a car pulled up behind me. It’s happened before, people stop. I waited a few minutes then took the drone round and saw it was a police car. After I landed the drone two Thai policemen, got out of the car and engaged me in a nice, polite conversation. Now in Thailand, the law states you can have a hefty fine and even imprisonment if you’re caught, flying a drone without a license or even with a license in the wrong place which is frankly most of Thailand. These particular policemen were in a tourist police car one was a tourist policeman the other was a regular police/army guy. They obviously knew the law because they come across people that fly all the time. We had a very nice conversation I was very open about where I was staying, why I fly, which is just for fun, not for money just to record beautiful places. They even suggested places I should visit of particular, beauty. The pleasant conversation went on for about 40 minutes, after which they said their goodbyes and went back to where they came from, so it seems someone had informed them that I was flying a drone their frequently.

Why did they not even ask if I had a licence? Why was I not arrested or at least informed of the law? Many many, questions. My only conclusion was that these two young, very smart cops, by the way, just found an old guy, alone with no one around recording a beautiful spot doing no one any harm whatsoever. Interesting don't you think?

No idea. Mind reading is not my forte. Good to hear you had a nice conversation with some folks though.

• Haha
Reactions: RangerEd and Torque
I’m living in Thailand for six months and in my favourite place, Patong, nice hotel in the jungle. There is a new road being built from Patong to Phuket, not yet finished, but one particular point has an amazing vista a phenomenal view and I fly from there and have been doing so frequently. Well, the other day, a car pulled up behind me. It’s happened before, people stop. I waited a few minutes then took the drone round and saw it was a police car. After I landed the drone two Thai policemen, got out of the car and engaged me in a nice, polite conversation. Now in Thailand, the law states you can have a hefty fine and even imprisonment if you’re caught, flying a drone without a license or even with a license in the wrong place which is frankly most of Thailand. These particular policemen were in a tourist police car one was a tourist policeman the other was a regular police/army guy. They obviously knew the law because they come across people that fly all the time. We had a very nice conversation I was very open about where I was staying, why I fly, which is just for fun, not for money just to record beautiful places. They even suggested places I should visit of particular, beauty. The pleasant conversation went on for about 40 minutes, after which they said their goodbyes and went back to where they came from, so it seems someone had informed them that I was flying a drone their frequently.

Why did they not even ask if I had a licence? Why was I not arrested or at least informed of the law? Many many, questions. My only conclusion was that these two young, very smart cops, by the way, just found an old guy, alone with no one around recording a beautiful spot doing no one any harm whatsoever. Interesting don't you think?
Post a shot if you don't mind. Thailand is beautiful

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just told Patong is really bad now. Mostly Indians, Russians, and families (removed by moderator) He told me don't even think of going there.

I was just told Patong is really bad now. Mostly Indians, Russians, and families He told me don't even think of going there.
So wrong man, fewer tourists, cheaper than ever, loads of rooms, bikes and cars for rent. Great weather. This is my idea or closest to paradise. Thai people can be the most attractive and pleasant people you could meet.

Reactions: Torque
So wrong man, fewer tourists, cheaper than ever, loads of rooms, bikes and cars for rent. Great weather. This is my idea or closest to paradise. This is not the place to talk about girls but.. Thai people can be the most attractive and pleasant people you could meet.
How do you explain reviews like this then?

How do you explain reviews like this then?
I suppose you see what you want to see. I am staying in the middle of a Thai Jungle, 12 mins from party town and the beach. The people I know here are the most kind and helpful I have come across. Most important for us, is that the flying is so much fun and stunning views.

Reactions: Carll and Torque
I suppose you see what you want to see. I am staying in the middle of a Thai Jungle, 12 mins from party town and the beach. The people I know here are the most kind and helpful I have come across. Most important for us, is that the flying is so much fun and stunning views.
The people are very nice in Thailand, no doubt. I've been many a time, so I can attest to that... but there are places that have reputations for a variety of reasons, whether one chooses to ignore them or not. Just saying...

Reactions: John Gowland
Cops are human, there's good ones and bad ones and like other folks. Treat them nicely and you're likely to get the same back. Give them lip and you'll suffer.
I'm not really pro-cop, having been beaten up in the back room of a police station. BUT, I've been flying my M2P for four years, and every single interaction with cops has been positive. Knowing the rules and being polite can go a long way. Yesterday I was flying above a large rail yard in Detroit when I saw a police car pull into the parking lot near me. Uh, oh. I waited a few minutes until I landed, and then walked over to him. Actually he was just taking his break, but was very curious about the drone and we had a nice conversation. And his uniform said "animal control," which I hoped did not apply to me!

How much does it cost to live in Thailand for say 90 days? Can I visit for 90 days?

My avatar is my filming of one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen. I took it in Thailand. Of all my travels Thailand was by far the most fascinating I have experienced. I flew my drone only when I was a guest at an island resort. Nobody seemed to mind. Just the usual curious onlookers.

I would go back to Thailand in a heartbeat. Enjoy your long stay in a beautiful country.

Last edited:

When I first started flying drones from my house, I was visited by police twice. Now, several years later, they never come when someone calls them about a drone or my drone in particular. Nothing ever came of the police visits by the way.

How much does it cost to live in Thailand for say 90 days? Can I visit for 90 days?
Such a difficult question to answer. You can spend a lot but if you chose to you could stay for very little. At the moment everything is cheap. If you come from the US, Europe of Australia most things are half the price. Some things are very cheap, you can buy a large bottle of beer for under 2$ US from a store, three times more in a bar.

Hope it helps.

Reactions: Torque
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13