DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I had my first crash

So I had my first crash a month and a half ago in Northern Michigan. I actually hit RTH, but for some reason the craft lost its route for landing. It rose up about 20 feet, moved over some tree tops then started to descend into the trees only to tumble to the ground. The blades were broken and the rear leg was damaged at the rotator.....in addition some scratches.
I did not have the DJI refresh, however, I wanted to know what happened with the RTH and why it descended the way it did.
I created a service ticket online and requested a tracking/ logging of the flight. DJI contacted me via email to let me know when the RTH was depressed, the craft will rise to the designated programmed height the descend into the area of take off.

The issue, according to DJI, was the trees nearby as the unit will not detect the branches during its flight path if the trees are in the way of the landing spot. The mistake on my part was thinking the craft will return via the way it took off. The takeoff path was straight up and out over open field then a lake. When the RTH was depressed , the unit was well inland and over top a line of trees and open area.

Any way, DJI was really cool in explaining the pilot error and charged only $87 to fix the unit without the refresh program. They did recommend getting the refresh program which I did. Upon return of the unit to me, I noticed they replaced the entire unit with a new one....not repaired as I thought they would do.

I was very happy with the experience. Right now, Im trying the Smart Controller. So far, I prefer the smart controller as it is easier to use....no phone needed.
Good deal! DJI often replaces rather than actual repair.

RTH will always beeline from current location to home point at configured altitude. HP initially will be takeoff position, but one can update it during flight.

Exception to RTH beeline:
On signal loss, the M2 (and I think MA1) will retrace it's path for 60 seconds in hopes it can get signal back where it had it before. After that, it will RTH.

Also it may have alternate behavior when closer than 60ft. Check the manual for details.

Good deal! DJI often replaces rather than actual repair.

RTH will always beeline from current location to home point at configured altitude. HP initially will be takeoff position, but one can update it during flight.

Exception to RTH beeline:
On signal loss, the M2 (and I think MA1) will retrace it's path for 60 seconds in hopes it can get signal back where it had it before. After that, it will RTH.

Also it may have alternate behavior when closer than 60ft. Check the manual for details.

It was the one and only time I hit RTH...I think I panicked on the low battery and being near a large lake. Probably a newbie mistake.

DJI sent me a card with RTH info and limitations along with replacement. Tech was very informative, extremely nice and very knowledgeable on the detailed information I provided and their testing. I appreciate your RTH info. That is helpful to know.

Reactions: Gagey52
It was the one and only time I hit RTH...I think I panicked on the low battery and being near a large lake. Probably a newbie mistake.

DJI sent me a card with RTH info and limitations along with replacement. Tech was very informative, extremely nice and very knowledgeable on the detailed information I provided and their testing. I appreciate your RTH info. That is helpful to know.
BTW, the far end of this story is, when I sent the Mavic 2 Pro back to DJI for repair when I found that the gimbal vibration suppression mechanism was broken. I did NOT use my DJI replace as the repair was pretty cheap, only a bit more than the replace, so I just paid for the repair instead, saving the replace JUST in case (I don't plan to crash again though, but I thought I'd keep the credit JUST in case I have a more devastating issue).

And, I still got a brand new (probably refurb I'd guess) drone, in perfect operating order, all new skins, USB and uSSD covers, and a new Gimbal Protector now with protection for the top of the gimbal (the old gimbal protector would scratch the top of the gimbal, the new one has a soft plastic layer there to protect it).

Reactions: Howard70
BTW, the far end of this story is, when I sent the Mavic 2 Pro back to DJI for repair when I found that the gimbal vibration suppression mechanism was broken. I did NOT use my DJI replace as the repair was pretty cheap, only a bit more than the replace, so I just paid for the repair instead, saving the replace JUST in case (I don't plan to crash again though, but I thought I'd keep the credit JUST in case I have a more devastating issue).

And, I still got a brand new (probably refurb I'd guess) drone, in perfect operating order, all new skins, USB and uSSD covers, and a new Gimbal Protector now with protection for the top of the gimbal (the old gimbal protector would scratch the top of the gimbal, the new one has a soft plastic layer there to protect it).

I paid $87 for a replacement unit (no battery). I noticed the gimbal protector had the softer insert as well. I purchased the Refresh afterwards.

Countering descent probably appeared to fail due to the intermittent signal.

Don't forget about the pause button on the RC. That should cancel the landing and go to hover. It definitely will cancel any autonomous flight modes.

For refresh, just put in a support/repair case. They'll then send you a shipping label. When they get it, they'll do a repair evaluation and quote, but the invoice will bill for a refresh. You can respond and ask for a repair instead to save your refresh for another incident. Since it's clearly not a warranty issue, you can go the express route and skip the eval and repair quote and go straight to refresh.
Did a refresh last week. Excellent service, no issues, got a new boxed drone but that can vary. Just follow the advice already given.

Thanks for the post. Another lesson for me to take on board.

Reactions: Gagey52
Hi Tom
It's always better to manually control the drone for landing, and not to use RTH for this. RTH is best viewed as a failsafe for signal loss, not a landing tool. You have reduced control under RTH, such as limited speed which could be an issue if the wind picks up and a set of pre-programmed parameters which could catch you out if the unexpected happens. You also develop better pilot skills being in full control and can practice different approach paths and landing techniques.

I agree on manual return for flight skills, and if the drone is nearby, I always land it manually. If I do use RTH, I watch it like a hawk to be sure it's doing fine. I've found that the M2P does an admirable job doing a RTH. My driveway has trees around it giving me a 50' circle or so to land in, so I'm always at the ready to take over (cancel RTH) should I need to, but I've also flown it in manually many times. It can take some large loops around my driveway until Precision landing kicks in, so it's actually safer to land it manually there. When I'm hiking, due to trees and other obstacles, manual landing (and careful takeoff) is typically a requirement. Fortunately, the M2P is very easy to fly manually, and I've had it for just over a year.

What I do often is use RTH just to get it back above my driveway, cancel RTH (or landing if it gets that far, which is just a single touch on the Red X), then start setting up for the next shot. But I also often do a video doing a wide loop coming back to take in more of the scenery coming back, keeping my house in view with the gimbal control to pan it further down as my house gets closer.

I'm doing nearly the same shots every day currently from my driveway to get a sequence showing the seasonal changes up here in New England. I'm lucky I live in a beautiful, wooded area with a massive bog, a large reservoir, mountains, and in the opposite direction, the tops of the buildings in Boston to make the scene a bit more interesting (Boston being about 35 miles away as a drone flies (I wish, lol)). I'm planning to combine the shots in as a daily time sequence video at some point.

Now if I can just get some time to practice FPV Manual flying. I need massive improvement there in my flying skills. I have the DJI FPV and the EMAX Tinyhawk for practicing in the house. The FPV flies wonderfully in Normal and Sport modes, but I don't consider that I'm yet ready to try it in Manual/Acro mode.

So I had my first crash a month and a half ago in Northern Michigan. I actually hit RTH, but for some reason the craft lost its route for landing. It rose up about 20 feet, moved over some tree tops then started to descend into the trees only to tumble to the ground. The blades were broken and the rear leg was damaged at the rotator.....in addition some scratches.
I did not have the DJI refresh, however, I wanted to know what happened with the RTH and why it descended the way it did.
I created a service ticket online and requested a tracking/ logging of the flight. DJI contacted me via email to let me know when the RTH was depressed, the craft will rise to the designated programmed height the descend into the area of take off.

The issue, according to DJI, was the trees nearby as the unit will not detect the branches during its flight path if the trees are in the way of the landing spot. The mistake on my part was thinking the craft will return via the way it took off. The takeoff path was straight up and out over open field then a lake. When the RTH was depressed , the unit was well inland and over top a line of trees and open area.

Any way, DJI was really cool in explaining the pilot error and charged only $87 to fix the unit without the refresh program. They did recommend getting the refresh program which I did. Upon return of the unit to me, I noticed they replaced the entire unit with a new one....not repaired as I thought they would do.

I was very happy with the experience. Right now, Im trying the Smart Controller. So far, I prefer the smart controller as it is easier to use....no phone needed.
They (DJI) do know what they are doing customer aircraft AND customer wise...........

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31