DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Have Stopped using Master Airscrew Props On My Air 2S

Jagerbomb52

Reactions
I have been a big fan of master airscrew props until now. Over the last 5 or 6 years I have used them on my UAV's with out a problem. I bought this set back in Aug. of 2021. This week I noticed the two counter clockwise props getting hard to rotate in the hub, meaning they were stiff to move freely. After inspection I saw that these props have screws in them holding the blades on unlike DJI props have pins. Wondering if some how they got over tighten I emailed Master Airscrew and this is what they told me:

Thank you for contacting us.
Unfortunately, with time and exposure to heat and ultraviolet light, all polymers age. This process can be faster or slower depending on the frequency of usage (flight hours).
The blades shouldn't be stiff around the screws for a normal operation of the aircraft. This, per se, will not lead to a falling of the drone but at some point the tightness may become too much for the centrifugal forces to overcome, the blades may not fully expand and this may lead to vibrations and other performance issues.
We recommend replacing your set with a new one. We recommend against trying to loosen the screws on the problematic props.
We expect our DJI Air 2S Stealth propellers to be available on Amazon CA in about 1-2 weeks, in case you are interested.
Hope this helps.
Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.
Kind regards,
MAS team

Master Airscrew Team

Knowing I do not have a tone of flight hours on these props and I live where 8 months of the year is winter my flying time is not as much as someone who lives in a warmer climate. I decided to ditch the props and go back to OEM props. A bit loader but other then that not much different from MAS props.

Wow, I hurriedly just turned around and took some M1P Stealth props (recently received) off the shelf to check them.
Thankfully they have the usual pins hold the props on the hubs.
Not sure why they'd switch like that for the Air2S, can't be cheaper or easier to use screws I imagine.

Last edited:
I have been a big fan of master airscrew props until now. Over the last 5 or 6 years I have used them on my UAV's with out a problem. I bought this set back in Aug. of 2021. This week I noticed the two counter clockwise props getting hard to rotate in the hub, meaning they were stiff to move freely. After inspection I saw that these props have screws in them holding the blades on unlike DJI props have pins. Wondering if some how they got over tighten I emailed Master Airscrew and this is what they told me:

Unfortunately, with time and exposure to heat and ultraviolet light, all polymers age. This process can be faster or slower depending on the frequency of usage (flight hours).
The blades shouldn't be stiff around the screws for a normal operation of the aircraft. This, per se, will not lead to a falling of the drone but at some point the tightness may become too much for the centrifugal forces to overcome, the blades may not fully expand and this may lead to vibrations and other performance issues.
We recommend replacing your set with a new one. We recommend against trying to loosen the screws on the problematic props.
We expect our DJI Air 2S Stealth propellers to be available on Amazon CA in about 1-2 weeks, in case you are interested.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
MAS team

Master Airscrew Team

Knowing I do not have a tone of flight hours on these props and I live where 8 months of the year is winter my flying time is not as much as someone who lives in a warmer climate. I decided to ditch the props and go back to OEM props. A bit loader but other then that not much different from MAS props.
Wonder if the same aging issue isn’t true for the OEM props which, of course, must be made in China. I am so pleased with the Master Airscrew props on my mini2, that I’ve got a set of new ones as spares.

I have used MAS props on all of my drones up to the present and in some instances they have given me large performance boosts.... the largest difference was with the Phantom 4 Pro which flew with much more agility and power when the MAS props were added.

DJI's newest drones have more advanced propeller designs that are hard to improve upon and the performance difference has dwindled.... on my Air 2S the MAS props eek an extra minute of flight time out for me, but show no real flight difference.

I have stopped using the MAS props altogether on my Mavic 3 as the hover is much more erratic than using the OEM props and at least one review is reporting diminished flight time.

The main reason I use MAS nowadays is because I like the bright colors they offer but I am probably going to stop wasting my money. DJI should really jump on this wagon and offer some color choices.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
MAS team

Master Airscrew Team

I use them on my M1P and the difference is very noticible also i tighten and loosen as I see fit with out any problems , they are easier to break for sure especialy the black,just my oberservation

I use them on my M1P and the difference is very noticible also i tighten and loosen as I see fit with out any problems , they are easier to break for sure especialy the black,just my oberservation
Well I like I said I was a big fan of them for a long time. I was actually a beta tester for them with the Autel props. I still have around 20 sets still brand new of the Autel props as they kept sending them every other week. LOL Having to adjust them on my Air 2S with the screws just seems like something else to worry about so I decided on going back to stock. Performance difference is so small most would not even notice.

it is another adjustment indeed i can relate to that ,,and on a windy day my M1p has to go OEM , so pros and cons i,m always pushing range in good conditions MAS make the difference

Reactions: Old Dog- New Tricks

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
MAS team

Master Airscrew Team

I purchased MAS stealth props for my Mavic 2. Great product but very stiff blade pivots. Not too much of an issue as I always physically spread the blades open before spinning up. Strikes me that MAS might be having quality control problems.

Although Props can get tighter

This is a Non Issue Event : We have been flying for years with Tighter Props on Purpose , not so tight that the drone would not start, but was never a fan of how loose the Props were, they were frustrating in ways.

We also noticed that Props would POP right off when contacting small branches : Such as the Mini 2 : Mavic 2: Mavic Pro and so we supply the Motor Covers to keep the Props on much tighter so they dont twist off so easily on light impact.

Mini 2 Example:2023-01-25_08h07_28.png

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water , and Battle thru .

Although I don't currently have or use the MAS props, I would look forward to reducing the tone, if not the volume, of the stock props on my M3P, although already it's 1 of the quietest drones.

I'll also say re: sunlight degrading polymers (plastic), the color does make a difference.

The darker the color, the better it blocks the UV from penetrating.

Also, the further towards the red end of the spectrum the color is, the more UV seems to degrade plastic.

Both black, & (dark) blue seems to resist that the most.

re: the props stiffening on their mounts, I wonder if anyone has tried using a high-quality silicone spray?

Granted, 1 might think that it might compromise the screws locking into place, but I think that chance minimal, if the silicone was applied after the props were fastened down. Or, it can be applied & left to dry, prior to installation.

1nce dried, it tends to resist collecting/attracting dust & grit; it's just a thought.

Although I don't currently have or use the MAS props, I would look forward to reducing the tone, if not the volume, of the stock props on my M3P, although already it's 1 of the quietest drones.

I'll also say re: sunlight degrading polymers (plastic), the color does make a difference.

The darker the color, the better it blocks the UV from penetrating.

Also, the further towards the red end of the spectrum the color is, the more UV seems to degrade plastic.

Both black, & (dark) blue seems to resist that the most.

re: the props stiffening on their mounts, I wonder if anyone has tried using a high-quality silicone spray?

Granted, 1 might think that it might compromise the screws locking into place, but I think that chance minimal, if the silicone was applied after the props were fastened down. Or, it can be applied & left to dry, prior to installation.

1nce dried, it tends to resist collecting/attracting dust & grit; it's just a thought.
Silicone sounds like a good idea. It should prevent them from becoming brittle. Rain-x works well for preventing build-up or atleast makes cleaning easier.

Silicone sounds like a good idea. It should prevent them from becoming brittle. Rain-x works well for preventing build-up or atleast makes cleaning easier.
I'll say that I'd be cautious applying Rain-X to anything but the camera (or filter) lens, as it contains an acid, & acetone.

Sulfuric acid & acetone tend to be unkind to many things, including, for the former, metal, & for the latter, plastic.

I'll also say that I've been using Rain-X for decades & it works great when applied to (auto) glass.

I don't know the composition of the camera lens, & some filter lens are made of glass & some are made of plastic.

IMO, silicone applied to the props, in their entirety, might reduce the chance of debris sticking to them, & might also reduce the chance for oxidation, but AFAIK, won't reduce any effects of UV exposure.

There might be a balanced concern as to any potential negative effects the solvent carrier might have on the material of the props.
Rain-X Safety Data Sheet

I'll say that I'd be cautious applying Rain-X to anything but the camera (or filter) lens, as it contains an acid, & acetone.

Sulfuric acid & acetone tend to be unkind to many things, including, for the former, metal, & for the latter, plastic.

I'll also say that I've been using Rain-X for decades & it works great when applied to (auto) glass.

I don't know the composition of the camera lens, & some filter lens are made of glass & some are made of plastic.

IMO, silicone applied to the props, in their entirety, might reduce the chance of debris sticking to them, & might also reduce the chance for oxidation, but AFAIK, won't reduce any effects of UV exposure.

There might be a balanced concern as to any potential negative effects the solvent carrier might have on the material of the props.
Rain-X Safety Data
Absolutely, all good points. But rain-x does make a plastic safe version 👍

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
MAS team

Master Airscrew Team

Purchased a set for my Air 2s recently and noticed that they are very stiff out of the box. Haven’t used them yet and am a bit skeptical about doing so.

I apologize as I'm not yet a user of the Master Air Screw props. Just thinking about it, at the prices that are being charged, why not include a screw that incorporates a threadless top third? A partially threaded screw can be had for a few pennies. Even though they would tighten over time spinning clockwise, they would never squeeze the plastic. Tell me if I'm off :)

Reactions: Torque
I am with you on sticking with OEM. The third-party propellers like master airscrew have been tempting over the years, but the OEM props have always been excellent and reliable. I’ve never felt like props or a big maintenance expense either. I did try some carbon fibre propellers out for one of my Inspire ones. I liked the characteristics because for that drone the carbon fibre are very stiff and behaved quite a bit different than the OEM. But in the end, I didn’t trust the mounting hardware, the same as I did the OEM mounting hardware.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929