DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I have the Mavic 2. Videos suck without sound.

It does appear to be an excellent device. though I think most people would not want to spend close to the cost of a Mini to record audio for their drone flights at almost $450 and perhaps less for an older version if available, perhaps thats just me,,
The H4N is $250 and I did say that this is what I use, there are certainly handheld recorders that are cheaper, some under 100 bucks. To me sound is very important and I don't just shoot drone video's so this really is not that much in the whole scheme of things. After all, a computer that can handle 4K video is at least/around 4 times the cost of a Mini (or more), yet the Mini can shoot 4K.

Reactions: Dan Shaw
The H4N is $250 and I did say that this is what I use, there are certainly handheld recorders that are cheaper, some under 100 bucks. To me sound is very important and I don't just shoot drone video's so this really is not that much in the whole scheme of things. After all, a computer that can handle 4K video is at least/around 4 times the cost of a Mini (or more), yet the Mini can shoot 4K.
When Looked that up, and went to Amazon it was at least $330+ depending on the model, perhaps I did not spot the exact model you have.. In any event, thats a lot of money for a recording device to capture drone audio.

Ok. I apricate the feed back. I'd love to be able to do what some of you are putting out on your videos. Maybe one day I will be there...lol. Im looking at being able to record sounds that are occurring at time of videoing. I videoed a firework show and it would have been cool with sound. Been looking at some Apps and I'm getting mixed feelings when I read reviews
Well Dan you can attach a microphone to the drone and if you need more add a mic at ground level as well
No other way to get sound as it happens that I know of.

Did that answer you question or did i miss it?

Don

It does appear to be an excellent device. though I think most people would not want to spend close to the cost of a Mini to record audio for their drone flights at almost $450 and perhaps less for an older version if available, perhaps thats just me,,
I ordered the Zoom H1n, which costs only 90 dollars and delivers excellent sound quality.

For sounds from the fireworks, you need an external microphone with a recorder or maybe a good cell phone to record simultaneously with the drone flight. In the post-processing with e.g. DR, the sound track can be added to the videotrack from the drone.
That's what I do when I want sound to sinc with my flight. Or I narrate what's happening during my flight. Works great.

What sound App do you use and or recommend?
I use PowerDirector editing software, pretty easy to learn. There are a million free audio tracks you can get online. In PowerDirector it's very easy to add a track of audio to your video. You might as well learn editing anyway since you'll have a lot of footage to deal with for your drone

Reactions: Mike49 and Dan Shaw
I just add sound in post. Ocean, hawk, gulls, crows, partiers - whatever the scene calls for. Sync the video cuts to the music and viola!
BTW: I have the Adobe Creative Suite, so Premiere Pro.

Live sound is a huge challenge. I am doing drone videos with trains and for these a good sound recording is vital. I am using a tascam recorder with a microphone muff and usually move the drone out of hearing range if possible. In Postproduciton I then match up the sound to the video. In some cases I even had to record the passing train sound when another train passed. For trains usually nobody would notice if it was the same train as on the video. Now for fireworks this would be a bit more difficult but in your case you will have to recourse to recordings of fireworks found in the net and match them up to the video material.

The video that is cached in your tablet or phone attached to the controller usually comes with sound picked up from the phone's mic. You can extract that audio too, it isn't high quality though and wind noise will most likely destroy most of the recording. But if wind noise wasn't too intense you get some useful audio. The cached files are in the DJI directory of your phone.

An example can be viewed here:

Cache the audio with video (setting in the App), this will record sound from your phone or tablet that you are using with the controller. Use the cached video on your device and pull the audio from that to sync it to the video form the drone. I know I could do this with the Mavic Air and the Mavic Pro. I have yet to try it with the M2P. Here is a example of it that I did a week ago. from the Mavic Pro

Are you looking for live sound of what you are videoing? That would be difficult due to the noise from the drone. If you are looking to add music to a clip, then video editing software such as DaVinci Resolve (free) can be used to add audio to your video. The are others but DR is quite good and the price is right.
Im new at this and I thought live sound would be easy. Like a lot of people have said the drone noise would be bad if it came from it. So I was looking for a app for my phone or iPad to record sound when I was fling the drone.

I've had several drones with go pro cameras which do have sound. It is totally useless, all you hear is the propeller noise very loud. To record what you're hearing on the ground, you would have to record with some type of audio recorder, and then bring the audio into the video later using a video editor like the ones mentioned by some of the other folks. That's why folks normally just add music of some sort, just to add some type of sound to the video. The noise at the drone would be of no use. Unless of course you could come up with a way to dangle a microphone 20 or 30 feet below the drone ?
I agree with you. Being new at this, I didn't know what I could do with the sound. But sitting here reading all of these replies. I think I'm going to have to find a app and add sound to the videos. I really appreciate all the post from everyone on here. You all have been a great help.

What a coincidence, I've been doing some research on this very topic.

What my interest has been recently is using my M3P to record video of various local bands, & what I've settled on has been a wired stereo shotgun mic mounted on a stand & placed not far away from me, since so far I haven't been able to find a unit that didn't use 1 of the 2 frequencies already used by the drone, & hopefully with a USB-C connector so that I can run that directly into my RC controller port to mux with the video in post.

I think that for general area recordings, say at my local beach, something similar in a cardio pattern version.

Portability is also a concern, & for the onstage area recording & the volume involved, I wouldn't need something as sensitive or narrow cone like a parabolic type mic.

I'd rather not go overboard with the spending; maybe, just dip my big toe in... I'm still in the search&review stage.

"Back In The Day" (decades ago, strictly "pro-sumer"-level) I used film & magnetic videotape, but now that my camera actually FLY...!

Attachments

• DJI_0296.JPG
    DJI_0296.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
When I use a Drone to record audio, I use a Skydio 2 for that one but you have to be a distance away other wise you’ll get prop noise! But there is a guy on YouTube that does it but he uses a device that records tgen syncs it to the drone footage!

When I use a Drone to record audio, I use a Skydio 2 for that one but you have to be a distance away other wise you’ll get prop noise! But there is a guy on YouTube that does it but he uses a device that records tgen syncs it to the drone footage!
You must have quality sound mics in the location(s) you need them for perfection
Nothing else is better sorry

You must have quality sound mics in the location(s) you need them for perfection
Nothing else is better sorry
The Drone is not next to me but just out of earshot of the Props! It uses the microphone on my iPhone 13 to record the sound! But I know some people who record all the time with their Air2’s! They plug into the feeds to do it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spencergotty