DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I just love this thing...

svenmarbles

Reactions
I’m sorry if this is an uninteresting topic, but I just have to say it.

I’m a launch day purchaser of the Air 2 and I’m just continuously impressed with it..

Imagine your 12 year old self and ask that kid “what’s the ultimate toy that you’d like to own?” My answer would have literally been a thing I could fly around, even miles away, and be able to see what it sees. This thing is witchcraft to my 1990’s self lol. Could you imagine the reaction you would get from people if you took this back in time? It would be seen as an invention of major significance.

Having this feels like being given some sort of super human capability..

Sorry for the strange post, but even after all this time, I feel like I’ve just done something unbelievable after landing each flight..

Sorry for the strange post, but even after all this time, I feel like I’ve just done something unbelievable after landing each flight..

Nothing strange about the post.

Heck, I give mine a kiss for coming home after it lands. ?

It’s incredible how technology changes and affects our lives. Kings/queens from not more than a century ago didn’t even have indoor plumbing – now almost everyone does. Cars Vs. horse/buggy thing.

I have flown all sorts of RC and full-scale for 50 years. I currently own a Van’s Aircraft Experimental RV-12. Amazing to watch MA2 do auto-return from a mile away and watch it land dead center on the “H” landing mat. The precise location and navigation provided by satellites with atomic clocks from space paid for by US taxpayers with no user fee.

Like MA2 317 says there's nothing strange at all, sometimes i
pinch myself to check i'm not in a dream when i'm doing what
i'm doing.........great fun.
BE SAFE HAPPY FLYING.

Reactions: StevieB and MA2 317
Ditto! When I was 12 I dreamt of buying a little plane when I grew up and fly around my home town. Never got my pilot’s license, and never bought that little twin seater plane. But I have now flown and seen places from the sky that I had only once dreamt of as a child. Thanks to my MA2.

Hmm. Never thought of that. I'm autistic, so, um, maybe not ;)

Reactions: Pautna and MA2 317
MA2 is a masterpiece of technology. Enjoy it !!

I’m a launch day purchaser of the Air 2 and I’m just continuously impressed with it..

Imagine your 12 year old self and ask that kid “what’s the ultimate toy that you’d like to own?” My answer would have literally been a thing I could fly around, even miles away, and be able to see what it sees. This thing is witchcraft to my 1990’s self lol. Could you imagine the reaction you would get from people if you took this back in time? It would be seen as an invention of major significance.

Strange post, not at all. Your post expresses the feeling most of us get flying these marvels of technology. When I was 11, I purchased my first telescope hoping to see some craters on the moon.
Today with the advancements of amateur astronomy I am photographing galaxies and quasars billions of light years away from my backyard. In the army I was a paratrooper and could only see
these views while in the chute, and now with these flying machines, we can stay there for 30 min. and photograph what we saw to enjoy later.
I can't imagine where this flying hobby will lead us.

Reactions: Dbez1 and MA2 317
Technology past and present. It sure is moving fast.

Anyone remember the ATT commercial that we'd be going to the library in our PJs and paying our road tolls without stopping?
Now we have Google, books and videos on demand, and EZPass.

I recently got an Air 2 and I love it.
I find now that I suddenly notice so many commercials and TV shows and movies where they have drone footage that I never noticed before.

I've noticed this too. It's actually a bit distracting since I start thinking about the drone filming that shot instead of just being engrossed in the video. ?

paid for by US taxpayers with no fees.
Doesn’t paying taxes on it imply that it is not free. Aren’t we all equity partners in this, and access to it is our return on investment.

I’ve always been taught that nothing is free. Neither is this. This comes with very regular fees that we all pay. Every paycheck.

No complaints here. Thank you USA.

I also agree, not strange at all. In fact, the first few weeks I would play back my shots on a large display, it definitely felt like "god-mode". In the omniscient sense anyway -- like I was all seeing and somewhat all-knowing.

Getting these views I could never get before and the total control of the craft with close to supreme confidence ... wow. Yeah, it's pretty **** amazing. As a map nut, it definitely scratches that itch too.

I also agree, not strange at all. In fact, the first few weeks I would play back my shots on a large display, it definitely felt like "god-mode". In the omniscient sense anyway -- like I was all seeing and somewhat all-knowing.

Getting these views I could never get before and the total control of the craft with close to supreme confidence ... wow. Yeah, it's pretty **** amazing. As a map nut, it definitely scratches that itch too.
Agreeing with all of the above but adding this.... I wish I had this technology throughout my many years of photography when I was traveling to over 100 countries and there were no such things as drone laws. I feel really cheated. My special gripe is that I have been on 12 Africa Safaris and have seen tons of drone footage taken by the lodging companies and the tour companies for promotion but on my last several trips to Africa I was not allowed to even take it out of my camera bag! Yes, there are allowances for thee but not for me. If you are promoting your safari lodge with drone videos, but not allowing your clients to use a drone, it is hypocritical. Why does MY drone scare the animals but their drone done not? Why can I NOT use my drone to shoot my lodge from above but the lodge advertisers can do it all day long. I can attach many examples in advertising literature to show examples. Here is just one!

Reactions: OneQuickSix
I had planned a trip to Africa next year but covid has slowed everything down a bit. I am not even sure if I am still interested in going until the transmission rates slow down significantly. I had hoped to fly my drone while there, now I know to expect otherwise. Possibly there are other parts of Africa that permit aerial photography for all, not just those seeking to advertise their local enterprises. But anyway, clearly I will need to do more research before purchasing a ticket.

Thanks for the info Dale D.

I had planned a trip to Africa next year but covid has slowed everything down a bit. I am not even sure if I am still interested in going until the transmission rates slow down significantly. I had hoped to fly my drone while there, now I know to expect otherwise. Possibly there are other parts of Africa that permit aerial photography for all, not just those seeking to advertise their local enterprises. But anyway, clearly I will need to do more research before purchasing a ticket.

Thanks for the info Dale D.
Because of my African travels, I get e-mails from every single one of my tour planners. We used Piper and Heath owned by Chris Liebenberg for our Tanzania/Kenya trip years ago. I just got an e-mail from him today, and they are now opening up some of the countries. You may wish to contact him with your concerns, and by all means, mention my name. He runs a very reliable outfit. Carol and Dale Davis in Miami. Here is his e-mail to me today. Be sure to scroll down to the status of each country. You may need to speak to him directly about flying your drone. His contacts are at the very bottom of the e-mail. He is in San Diego.
Piper & Heath

Dear Dale

I hope you’re doing well. Despite the uncertainty of this week, we feel compelled to share some news out of Africa that I know many of you have been waiting for. Just yesterday I was part of a productive conversation with the Botswana Ambassador to the United States, and I have renewed faith in the current administration’s commitment to conservation and eco-tourism. Today’s announcement (hot off the presses!) is that Botswana is reopening as of next week!

I continue to be pleased with the trajectory of things in Africa as, little by little, countries reopen and tourism resumes. Since the time I returned from Tanzania myself in mid-August, we’ve had 33 travelers head to Africa, we have a few folks there right now, and we expect a few dozen more to travel before the end of this year.

The feedback from those who have traveled recently is very promising, and frankly it just feels great to have folks out in the wilderness again! You can read some of that feedback below (click here to jump to it), and much of it has also been shared on our social media.

*Further below is a summary of the status of many of the countries in which we operate (click here to jump to it) and then information regarding conservation initiatives by some of our close partners in Africa (click here to jump to it).

A Bit of Bragging to Kick Things Off…

Because of my recent trip to Tanzania, Travel + Leisure® interviewed me (and others!) for an article about the current state of international travel. It was a privilege to be part of that discussion and to put in my plug for Africa! You can read the full article here.

Furthermore, Travel + Leisure® recently announced their A-List advisors for 2020, and we’ve made the list for the 7th year in a row! (link)

TRAVELER FEEDBACK

We asked some of our recent travelers to explain why they decided to travel to Africa at a time like this and to summarize their experience. Here’s what they had to say...

George & Susan
George & Susan
George & Susan

George & Susan (visited Tanzania): “We wanted to experience Africa like it was fifty years ago … and that’s what we received, in five-star luxury! Amazing sightings with only a couple vehicles; many times we were the only vehicle. The lodges went above and beyond, especially with all the new protocols in place. The wildlife was incredible of course and the whole experience was amazing.”

Dave & Elaine
Dave & Elaine
Dave & Elaine

Dave & Elaine (visited Kenya): “When we heard from Chris in mid-August that Kenya, Tanzania, and Rwanda were open and that there was nobody there, we were very interested as we were both very tired of just sitting around the house dreaming of travel! After having to rush home from Botswana in mid-March, I was excited to get back for this my tenth trip to Africa. In the space of about a week at the end of August, Chris put together a trip for us to go to six camps starting in late September. And Chris was entirely right about nobody being in Africa! At some of our camps we were the only guests, and none were anywhere near full. As a result of the low tourist numbers, we were totally alone on most game drives, and so there was generally no competition for the best viewing spots. There are too many wildlife highlights to list. We had such a good time that we were sorry to have to leave.”

Ann
Ann
Ann

Ann (visited Egypt and Tanzania): “It has been a long-time dream of mine to visit Africa, and, not being particularly skittish, I decided now would be a particularly great time to travel. The people I have met in Africa were all so friendly and it was my pleasure to get to know them. I was both extremely pleased and extremely saddened that there were so few other tourists—thrilled for myself and the fact that everything is so much more peaceful and exclusive, yet saddened for Africa’s wonderful people whose livelihoods are being decimated by something beyond their control. It was such an unforgettable experience, and I woke up each day excited about new experiences!”

John & Kathy
John & Kathy
John & Kathy

John & Kathy (visited Tanzania): “Once we heard from Chris how doable it was (after he returned from Tanzania), we were quick to put plans in place to get back to Africa! First of all, staff at all the camps were so welcoming and glad to see us—the fact that we traveled meant so much to the local people! Second, we had the parks almost all to ourselves much of the time. It was amazing to spend an hour or more with a pride of lions (including young cubs!) without anyone else around. Finally, the camps went out of their way to demonstrate precautions which helped us feel safe relative to COVID-19. Hand sanitizer and hand-washing stations were available everywhere. We love Africa and were so happy to be back!”

Werner
Werner
Werner

Werner (visited Tanzania): “I wanted to thank you guys for arranging our two back-to-back group trips to Tanzania a couple of weeks ago. My confidence was immediately boosted by Chris's report of how doable travel was right now. I have been visiting the Ngorongoro Crater since I was a young man, and I have never seen it like this. We were literally the only tourists in the Ngorongoro Crater—a once in a lifetime experience! Our time in the Serengeti was unbelievable as well, and we managed to find the rare black serval we were hoping for. The camps welcomed us like royalty, and their excitement to finally have some guests after seven months of lockdown was heart-warming.”

Shanahan
Shanahan
Shanahan

Lisa & Blake (visited Kenya): “We decided to take a trip to Kenya last month and I’m so thankful we did! Piper & Heath helped us build the perfect safari itinerary, and they were there every step of the way to make sure we were prepared, felt safe, and enjoyed every moment. It may seem scary or unrealistic to leave the country right now, but we quickly realized there was nothing to fear with the right itinerary. From the moment we arrived at the airport, it was clear that every safety precaution was taken seriously and there would be no exceptions to the high standards put in place. Once in Kenya, the staff at each camp were beyond grateful we were there, and the service levels were as high as ever. Because there weren’t many other guests in camp (sadly!), we were able to take advantage of almost every aspect privately. Our meals were served at a private table and our game drive vehicles had just us and the guide!”

TRAVEL STATUS BY COUNTRY

Below are updates for many of the countries in which we operate, regarding their status for tourism and requirements pertaining to Covid-19. We’re happy to discuss these with you in greater detail, however a few disclaimers are in order. First, these regulations are changing monthly (if not weekly!), and so surely some of the below information will be out-of-date in the near future. Another application of this fact is that the regulations below are sure to be different (read: less rigorous) if you are traveling next year, so do not be overly concerned about these regulations if your travel is more than a few months away! Finally, while each country has its own regulations, it is also important that you check with your international airline, as some airlines are enforcing their own testing requirements and they will also be able to inform you about testing requirements for any layovers.

Botswana – We’re putting Botswana first in this list because they just announced they are reopening in a few days! While it will likely take a few weeks to get clarification of the entry requirements, so far the country has said that tourists must travel with the negative results of a Covid test (RT-PCR) conducted within 72 hours of departure (boarding your flights to Botswana, presumably from home).

Tanzania – Tanzania was the first country to re-open to tourism. They are issuing tourist visas like normal, and they do not require a negative Covid test for entry.

Kenya – Kenya is open for tourism and is issuing tourist visas like normal. Tourists must travel with the negative results of a Covid test (RT-PCR) conducted within 96 hours of arrival in the country. (The government’s verbiage is ambiguous, but it is currently being enforced as 96 hours prior to arrival). Travelers are also required to complete an on line Health Surveillance form for contact tracing purposes.

Rwanda – Rwanda is open for tourism and is issuing tourist visas like normal. Tourists must travel with the negative results of a Covid test (RT-PCR) conducted within 120 hours of departure (boarding your flights to Rwanda, presumably from home). Prior to arrival, tourists must also complete and upload a health questionnaire and passenger locator form. Upon arrival in Rwanda, guests will proceed to their hotel and will be given another Covid test. Guests must quarantine at the hotel until the results of that test are received, which will be no more than 24 hours. Finally, tourists must have a Covid test within 120 hours of their departure from the country—for many travelers, the test that is performed upon arrival will suffice for departure (if they spend less than 120 hours in the country).

Zambia – Zambia is open for tourism and is issuing tourist visas like normal. Tourists must travel with the negative results of a Covid test (RT-PCR) conducted within 14 days of arrival in the country.

Namibia – Namibia is open for tourism and is issuing tourist visas like normal. Tourists must travel with the negative results of a Covid test (RT-PCR) conducted within 72 hours of arrival in the country. (The timeframe of these testing requirements make travel to Namibia somewhat impractical for now, but, as with all countries, we expect them to announce more feasible regulations in the near future.)

Egypt – Egypt is open for tourism and is issuing tourist visas like normal. Tourists must travel with the negative results of a Covid test (RT-PCR) conducted within 72 hours of departure (boarding your flights to Egypt, presumably from home).

Zimbabwe – Zimbabwe is open for tourism and is issuing tourist visas like normal. Tourists must travel with the negative results of a Covid test (RT-PCR) conducted within 48 hours of departure (boarding your flights to Zimbabwe, presumably from home). (The timeframe of these testing requirements make travel to Zimbabwe somewhat impractical for now, but, as with all countries, we expect them to announce more feasible regulations in the near future.)

Uganda – Uganda is open for tourism and is issuing tourist visas like normal. Tourists must travel with the negative results of a Covid test (RT-PCR) conducted within 72 hours of arrival in the country. Furthermore, tourists must also have a Covid test within 72 hours of their departure from the country. (The timeframe of these testing requirements make travel to Uganda somewhat impractical for now, but, as with all countries, we expect them to announce more feasible regulations in the near future.)

South Africa, Mozambique, Seychelles, Ethiopia – Tourism to each of these countries is not yet possible, either because they are not issuing visas to US passport holders or because they require quarantine upon arrival. (But, as with all countries, we expect these countries to open and/or announce feasible regulations for tourists in the near future!)

(A FEW) PARTNER INITIATIVES

In the midst of such devastation, it has been incredible to watch the sacrifice and resilience of so many. While borders have been closed and lodges mostly silent, many of our close partners in Africa have found ways to continue supporting their staff. Below are just a few examples...

Wilderness Safaris – While Covid-19 has put travel on hold, Wilderness Safaris’ enduring determination to change lives remains unequivocally true, and they have positively impacted over 30,000 lives since April. Click here for an extensive description of their efforts and here to donate.

Great Plains – The world is turned upside down, but for the Great Plains Foundation the conservation continues, not only supporting its ongoing conservation initiatives but transitioning much of its staff from commercial tourism activities into ranger and monitoring duties. Click here to learn more and to donate.

Singita – The devastating impact of Covid-19 has been far-reaching and beyond the health implications of the pandemic; lockdowns to curb its spread have hit vulnerable communities especially hard. Singita’s Lowveld Trust has a long history of supporting local communities in South Africa and is extending its support to provide emergency food relief during the lockdown period. Click here to learn more and to donate.

Natural Selection – Never has on the ground conservation and community outreach work been more important. One of its many initiatives, Natural Selection’s Covid-19 Village Support has distributed thousands of food parcels to neighboring communities in Botswana and Namibia (with each parcel having a month’s worth of food for a family of four!). Click here to learn more and to donate.

Governors' – Since its inception nearly fifty years ago, Governors' has worked with the local people to provide community support and conservation programs that have delivered real results. When the pandemic struck and people became more vulnerable as tourism collapsed, Governors' doubled down on their efforts. Click here to learn more.

piper_heath_border_0609_mobile.png
open.php

Tony:

Reactions: Tony McDrone
Thanks Dale. There’s a lot there, and will come in quite useful when it time to book. All looks and sound s safe. The safari photos make me want to book a flight right now. I’ve been patient this entire year, and prudence is my best play right now.

Thanks Dale. There’s a lot there, and will come in quite useful when it time to book. All looks and sound s safe. The safari photos make me want to book a flight right now. I’ve been patient this entire year, and prudence is my best play right now.
One final thought- you really need a business ticket- it is a really long flight. If you have miles on American, you can fly by way of Doha Qatar on Qatar Airways miles. I have done last three African trips Miami-Doha (overnight inside terminal and security) and AM flight to Johannesburg, or Nairobi. Miami/Doha, Qatar was like 12 hours and Doha to JNB or Nairobi and 6 or 8 hours. I think you can now fly direct from Atlanta or Dulles to Africa.

Reactions: Tony McDrone

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada