DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

****!! I keep forgetting to take off the gimbal clamp

zimode

Reactions
This was the 2nd time I forgot to take off the clamp.. I catch it in the app, but wondering how many times if I forget will it damage the delicate little thing?

This was the 2nd time I forgot to take off the clamp.. I catch it in the app, but wondering how many times if I forget will it damage the delicate little thing?
I saw a tip that was posted on youtube where the guy taped a ribbon onto the gimbal clamp. it was about 4" long so it sticks outside of the camera cover. No way to forget it. Genius idea.

Zi,

Just attach a 2-3" piece of colorful (bright Red) ribbon to it. Should help you remember that it's on there.

Jerry

Reactions: zimode
The best thing to do is to have a pre flight check list! And pass it every time! Yes I know once you get the hold to it may seem pointless but if airplane pilots do it even with 40+ years of experience then maybe it's a good idea to copy

The best thing to do is to have a pre flight check list! And pass it every time! Yes I know once you get the hold to it may seem pointless but if airplane pilots do it even with 40+ years of experience then maybe it's a good idea to copy
Yeah, you're probably right.. when we owned a travel trailer, we had one that we used, it saved my butt a time or two..

String attached to the dome and gimbal.
Dome and gimbal.jpg

Dome comes off = gimbal comes off. And less chance of losing it.

(just continue to use website, dropbox is having certificate issues).

Last edited:
Reactions: Dougie
You will only forget to remove it one more time!

After that some men in white coats are going to turn up and take your Mavic away forever!

There, bet you never forget to take it off from now on! :D

Reactions: ThreeGs

Here is our new gimbal lock and lens cover.
Upfront and visible hard to forget that this one is on.

20161208_234737-jpg.2260

You can find this and other items for the Mavic pro here:
Dynamic 3D Solutions

5a933f_39c5dbb876e3493fb6a931e39e2aed03.jpg

Use a embossed hand labeled and type the words "REMOVE CLAMP"

My understanding is that it will overheat if you don't take it off.

Many have said that, but if you notice, the gimbal dome has vents, and the drone will still get air.

Better still is to use a replacement dome, to protect during any potential crash, but not hinder video quality or cooling, while eliminating many sun flares on the lense.

See $23 gimbal cover/guard on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7O7HM...TF8&colid=3NAAXOW2J003O&coliid=I3RXQXLCXEUEV1

Others make and sell a 3D printed version, but 3D printed products do not last long, and look like ***.

Many have said that, but if you notice, the gimbal dome has vents, and the drone will still get air.

Better still is to use a replacement dome, to protect during any potential crash, but not hinder video quality or cooling, while eliminating many sun flares on the lense.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7O7HM...TF8&colid=3NAAXOW2J003O&coliid=I3RXQXLCXEUEV1

Others make and sell a 3D printed version, but 3D printed products do not last long, and look like ***.

Yep, got one of those...but have been on travel and it's waiting for me at home.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The OP was referring to forgetting to remove the gimbal clamp, not about whether to leave the dome in position.

I know I sound like a broken record. But I have a pre-flight checklist that I go through before each and every flight. Removing the gimbal cover and lock are on the list....

Reactions: 604Pilot
Depends on how long you keep the clamp on before you realize you forgot to take it off.

Just remember that the whole time the clamp is on there when first turning it on or during a flight, the gimbal motors are trying to move, and the clamp wont let them. The gimbal motors on all DJI products are pretty strong, but if you forget enough times, youre gonna fry something. Could be a motor that starts buzzing, wont recenter, or even worse you can overload and fry your gimbal board.

I agree about using the preflight checklist 100%. I have been flying full scale airplanes for most of my life, and even after hundreds of hours of logged time, I ALWAYS use a checklist.

Here's a sample checklist someone made up last year.

Attachments

• Mavic pre-flight (1).pdf
    334.6 KB · Views: 29
Slightly OT, but important: I posted this in a separate thread, but for those that might not know, the gimbal clamp and bubble cover come off all on their own if the MP is dropped hard enough to cause the weight of the camera to push it off. Obviously this isn't something you would do intentionally, but if there is any space between the bottom of your case cutout and the bubble, one good thump and both will drop off, leaving the camera exposed for the remainder of the time it's in the case. This could be devastating if you're shipping it somewhere. Make sure there is sufficient padding under the bubble so any downward forces won't have the necessary play to eject the clamp and cover.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J