DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I killed my Mavic Air

Ray Hasan

Reactions
I killed it!

I was on a boat in Sardinia, and when taking off (the 3rd time in that day) I got a momentary notification saying IMU error - but it disappeared. I then got the all clear, took off and then drone drifted and hit some cables and spun into the water.

20 minutes later it was fished out of the beautiful and salty water of La Maddalena and spent the next 3-4 days in a bag of rice. but alas....I could not bring it back to life.

Now I have a fly more combo and car charger but no Mavic.....

I know its too late and an expensive lesson to have learned; but please can you guys tell me what I can do with the dead drone and the extras?

thanks guys

I'm sure there are some guys on here that will know more than I, but you can always sell of the stuff you still have.

I would be interested in the car charger and batteries.

From what I have gathered, thunderdrones has resurrected many drones from the "dead".

Last edited:
How old was it Ray and where did you get it ?

Well I would contact them and explain what happened and see what they said before I would even think about selling off the rest of it .

Reactions: Ray Hasan
I'm sure there are some guys on here that will know more than I, but you can always sell of the stuff you still have.

I would be interested in the car charger and batteries.

From what I have gathered, thunderdrones has resurrected many drones from the "dead".
it would be amazing and I would certainly consider it - had it been in UK :(

I hear that salt water is a drone killer because it basically damage the electronic components inside.

Would it have helped if the drone was flushed with fresh water before putting it in rice? I can imagine a lot of salt remaining on the electrical components after the water has vaporized/absorbed.

If your looking at selling some items I could be interested as I need an extra battery and based in Kent

Reactions: Ray Hasan
If your looking at selling some items I could be interested as I need an extra battery and based in Kent
Ok, I need to do the last bit of due dilligence before I start selling bits off...but when I get to it, I'll drop you a line. I have two fresh battaries - needless to say that the one that was attached to the mavic is now in a Sardinian landfill

Have you spoken to DJI see if they will sell you a drone body only for a discount, they do sometimes for people (if you had DJI Care at least)?

Not sure if State Farm is at your location, but for $60 you can buy a $1000 policy with no deductable and coverage for any loss.

Would it have helped if the drone was flushed with fresh water before putting it in rice? I can imagine a lot of salt remaining on the electrical components after the water has vaporized/absorbed.

You would have had to immediately and very thoroughly flush it with fresh water to stop the very corrosive effects of salt water.

Additionally, any salt that remains would continue to corrode the electrical and metal parts of the drone, as well as short out components as it's a bit conductive.

You can NOT bring electronics back to life once dropped in Salt Water. The Salt acts as an electrical conductor and fries all the on-board electrons in a mili-second. Flushing with fresh water wont work, its to late, The bag of rice after a fresh water drop may work, but better to use a blow dryer. But since this was a salt water crash, due to pilot error, you might as well toss the drone in the garbage.

If your drone falls in any type of water, DO NOT PUT IT IN RICE. Get it to a technician IMMEDIATELY. Rice does NOT WORK. I repeat RICE DOES NOT WORK.

Reactions: Former Member

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada