DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I lost my Mavic and need help finding out what happened - FOUND BY STARZ!

Yeah the box was in really good shape, and you packed it really well, so no issues there.

I did check the obstacle avoidance lens and saw the mark. It appears to have wiped away easy enough. I'll be careful to keep an eye on it for the first few flights.

Props have been replaced with new ones (I'll keep the damaged ones as a memento). I think I'm good to go now.

I'll re-calibrate the IMU, compass and camera properly later. Is there anything else anyone thinks I should do before risking a very simple flight?
Strap it with a fishingline so it won't escape one more time.
It might think it's a cat with nine lives.

I'm looking at the footage of the crash from the SD card. It stops at exactly the same point as the video feed from my smartphone did. I wasn't expecting that. I'm not sure why that is. No video of it tumbling down the mountain I'd afraid! :oops:

@Pablo -- I am just coming back to the thread after a long weekend doing various offline things.....but WOW! How amazing you and the Mavic are reunited! Just the best news ever! Looking forward to confirmation that it's back up and flying!

Speaking of news, we were out in the desert this weekend and, although I am really an absolute novice flyer, I decided to try a "point of view" flight (my first ever) in your honor! I feel like the video is not the best quality...very over-exposed....but I am still learning all the camera settings, etc. Also, this video is NOT from the SD card. For some unknown reason, the SD card video was super-jerky and awful, and of course I didn't know it was having a problem until after I got home.

The SD card is a brand-new SanDisk Extreme 32GB card which WAS producing smooth video....so I don't think the card is the issue. This is the exact one: https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Extreme-MicroSDHC-UHS-I-SDSDQXL-032G-A46A/dp/B00G5R75AU/

Fortunately, the cached video on my phone is smooth, but lower resolution.

I'm not entirely sure how to post the video, so here's a link and I'll try to embed below (if that's allowed):

Trying to figure out where that is lawflyer. I think I saw the superstitions at some point. I'm going to guess at south and east of apache junction?

Trying to figure out where that is lawflyer. I think I saw the superstitions at some point. I'm going to guess at south and east of apache junction?

You're in the right spot. We went out with our neighbors and they took us to a new place I've never been before. I think the name was "Montana Mountain", but it's basically due east of the Superstitions.....sort of on the back side of the mountain. It's probably 15 miles east of Apache Junction, and just north of the 60. Really nice area, but several trails were impassable due to high running water in the creek.

@Pablo -- I am just coming back to the thread after a long weekend doing various offline things.....but WOW! How amazing you and the Mavic are reunited! Just the best news ever! Looking forward to confirmation that it's back up and flying!

Speaking of news, we were out in the desert this weekend and, although I am really an absolute novice flyer, I decided to try a "point of view" flight (my first ever) in your honor! I feel like the video is not the best quality...very over-exposed....but I am still learning all the camera settings, etc. Also, this video is NOT from the SD card. For some unknown reason, the SD card video was super-jerky and awful, and of course I didn't know it was having a problem until after I got home.

The SD card is a brand-new SanDisk Extreme 32GB card which WAS producing smooth video....so I don't think the card is the issue. This is the exact one: https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Extreme-MicroSDHC-UHS-I-SDSDQXL-032G-A46A/dp/B00G5R75AU/

I'm not entirely sure how to post the video, so here's a link and I'll try to embed below (if that's allowed):

It still came out looking really good and what an honour haha.

Here's a quick edit of my POI:

Bit of a shame that it stopped recording the same time as the footage on my phone. I'm really not sure why that happened!

Anyway re-calibrations done and the Mavic looks absolutely fine. Now waiting for weather good enough for a test flight!

Last edited:
Pretty good view of the crack that runs through the rock starting at the base at :19. That's how we got up to the top. The mp was on the western end of the crack where it drops off into a canyon,seen at :40. For reference,the lake in the video is pretty much due north of Mavick Mountain.

Fantastic video @Pablo, and after seeing "Mount Doom" in sharper detail, I'm actually glad @Starz took over the recovery hike -- that looks rough enough that my wife may have called off the hunt before we reached the top.

Reactions: Dadcat
I'm looking at the footage of the crash from the SD card. It stops at exactly the same point as the video feed from my smartphone did. I wasn't expecting that. I'm not sure why that is. No video of it tumbling down the mountain I'd afraid! :oops:

Lost connection from controller or device, therefore the video stops recording??? Somebody here knows...

Back to Pablo's issue. Is it possible that the battery went to zero volts? I never got to see the info from the log. Still a little new on mp details. I seem to remember that he was low on power to start with. Any thoughts?

Back to Pablo's issue. Is it possible that the battery went to zero volts? I never got to see the info from the log. Still a little new on mp details. I seem to remember that he was low on power to start with. Any thoughts?

According to the last log it was at 22% when it disappeared behind the rock. It had plenty of voltage left I think.

Also I've lost connection before while filming and the video definitely doesn't stop.

My guess is it was the impact?

Anyway weather here is a constant rain, so I'm going to have to be patient.

Got mine in the air.

Very nice shot, especially for the first one up!

A thought just crossed my mind: now that you have a Mavic charger, it could be a good idea to charge Pablo's battery up to 65-70% for longer storage, right? Or it might even be better for the battery to be in active use, rather than being stowed away?

Great place to fly - try turning down your EV on your controller. It's very bright there so look into ND filter kit = probably around ND16 but kits come with a range of useful filters to help your Mavic bring down the exposure for better video AND pics. Also what are you shooting 4K? Maybe the card is fine just your PC / laptop not being able to handle 4K very well ?
Try shooting 1080P 30fps & see if the results are improved..............Cheers

Very nice shot, especially for the first one up!

A thought just crossed my mind: now that you have a Mavic charger, it could be a good idea to charge Pablo's battery up to 65-70% for longer storage, right? Or it might even be better for the battery to be in active use, rather than being stowed away?
On my list. I won't be using Pablo's battery but I will put some voltage back in it to keep it in shape.

Great place to fly - try turning down your EV on your controller. It's very bright there so look into ND filter kit = probably around ND16 but kits come with a range of useful filters to help your Mavic bring down the exposure for better video AND pics. Also what are you shooting 4K? Maybe the card is fine just your PC / laptop not being able to handle 4K very well ?
Try shooting 1080P 30fps & see if the results are improved..............Cheers

I've started using the over-exposure setting (I forget the name of it), where you get the black and white lines all over your display to remind your shot is over-exposed. I think that helps a lot.

Reactions: TriggurHappyNorCal
I had the same issue when I first viewed some footage, I changed the video setting to .MP4 rather than default of .MOV and was able to watch the sd-clips on my PC...but I'm a novice.

Yeah, so I didn't really explain this part, but I'm a PC user (hate Apple stuff), so the first thing I did was make sure my videos are .MP4, not .MOV.

Also, I don't shoot in 4K since I don't have any need for such high resolution. I have a 4K TV, but I don't have any computers that are capable of playing back 4K video so for me, 4K is overkill. My desktop monitor is basically 2.7K, but not exactly (it shows I'm at 2560 x 1440), so that's what my Mavic videos are set to record at.....and so far, they were smooth and perfect until our last trip out to the desert...and ALL the videos I shot are the same -- completely jerky and unwatchable. Sucks!

I just re-formatted my memory card and I'll take a quick flight today and see if that helped.

P.S. @Pablo -- I literally had a dream last night that I was flying my Mavic over a pond and it went crazy, crashed into the water and sank. I DO have DJI care refresh, but of course that requires being able to recover the drone, and in my dream I was scrambling around trying to find a boat so I could get out to the crash site to look for my Mavic. It was not a good feeling. So everyone please be careful out there (and yes, I have seen people creating floats/life jackets for their Mavics....probably on my to-do list soon).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scout Aerial