DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I lost my Mavic and need help finding out what happened - FOUND BY STARZ!

Well, I arrived at this thread a little late in the day, but ended up reading it from start to finish. Best thing I've read online for ages.

My faith in humanity is restored - huge kudos to those who helped retrieve the drone. Not got my Magic yet, but already really happy to be a part of this community.

Spectacular rescue! Well done. I'm Canadian and I spend my winters in Arizona. I started reading this thread and said to the wife "hey! We should head out and find that thing for this guy!" But reading more about the rescue it's clear this would far surpass my abilities. I'd probably be stuck down in that crack waiting for Starz to rescue us both. Lol.

The drone community in general is great but I'd have to say the people in Arizona are also a very special breed. To outsiders they seem a bit strange but when you get to know them, you find they are some of the nicest people on earth.

Apologies to starz, forget to mention him in my earlier post, you sir are a trooper, if you ever come by NJ (now I wouldn't know why any self respecting Arizonan would come visit NJ, but then miracles do happen as read here hahaha) I would like to offer you beers.
Any time. Send me a PM when you are here.

this is the most popular topic in this forum.....people around the world (even from Abu Dhabi like me from the other side of the planet) reading this amazing story.

upload_2017-1-14_20-29-39.png

Reactions: Zorrobazz
what a great story with an awesome end, well done. was great to read this thread with no negative coments, just people helping out, this is what its all about!

I am in Costa Rica BTW if anytime I can be of assistance.

I just received my MP yesterday and have yet to even take my first flight. But this thread has made me do two things.
1. Purchase DJI refresh
2. Buy Propolar filters

Educational as well as entertaining.

Great work by all involved.

Reactions: harly and BLSPro
I'll keep this as brief as I can.

What happened: I lost my Mavic behind a huge rock in the middle of the Arizona desert. I was doing a POI around the rock, the battery dropped just below 30%. I cancelled the POI, took control, gained altitude to avoid the rock, pointed the Mavic back to me. Then as I was about to return it home it took over and, without warning, descended quickly behind the rock. I lost connection and return to home didn't work. It was such a dangerous location that I was unable to go and retrieve the Mavic. It's gone. I tried my best to get it but had to leave it behind. Devastated.

The aftermath: As I've lost the Mavic I can't access the full log files. When I try to view the flight in the DJI GO 4 app it crashes every time I click the flight icon. I suspect the flight record is corrupt. As it stands I have no way to review the flight and figure out what happened. Can anyone help?
A gravity hook comes in handy when you need to delicately retrieve something

I also got to this post late, tending to my spouse after foot surgery. What a great story of lose and recovery, and of people helping each other. I know that area as I go to Tombstone via 189 each year for Arizona bike week and ride right past that hill (I live in the Sierra foothills so that is a hill) will be going again the end of March, so if @Starz is around I will gladly spring for a couple of beers at Big Nose Kate's.

This is a great story of loss, recovery, and a community coming together. The part I like the most was in over 150 posts not one person wagging their finger at the OP for taking off under 100% power. Normally the drone police chime in early and contribute nothing to the story. Glad to see they took a holiday.

It's unbelievable how drones are showing the beautifull people this planet has.
This is more then a story it's a lesson.
Thank you all.

I saw the email from this forum with this topic at the very top of the favorite topics this week, read from start till finish.

Unbelievable great job!

Reactions: Slantnose79
Reading through this thread renews my faith in humanity! Thanks to all of you who actively participated in rescuing this drone - truly amazing story. I live in southern Arizona myself and happened to be close to that area last month doing some aerial work for a client, it's gorgeous country. Nice job everyone!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danski_inthe_Sky