DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I lost my Mavic mini

That happens to the best so your comment is blah blah blah

I'd have to disagree with that comment because it implies that this kind of event is simply unavoidable. It isn't, and in well-planned sUAS flights the sUAS does not end up being blown away and colliding with buildings.

That happens to the best so your comment is blah blah blah
No, it happens to the ignorant.
Ignorant that you could cause serious damage to someone else' property or person. The world has changed. Get with it.

I looked at the Google Street view of that area. The place is covered in balconies, too. The overhead shot in your Log doesn't really convey how much is going on where your Mini disappeared. Maybe post a sign in the two Apt buildings I can see and someone might find it on their balcony.
Thanks, yes I did distribute paper note at all the area in case it landed at any balcony

Reactions: Piecar
You had the failsafe action set to the default of "Go Home", which means it is not going to have landed when you lost connection - it will have ascended to the set RTH height of 43 m and then tried to fight the wind. It was losing that battle by 2 - 3 m/s at a height of 20 m, and so it's only going to have got worse as it climbed. The battery was at 91% when you lost connection, and that means that it had around 1000 seconds of flight time before the smart battery autolanding function will have activated at 6% for 43 m height. Drifting at even the 2 - 3 m/s rate puts it several km away at least. If the wind speed increased with height as expected then it could easily be 5 km.

View attachment 103934

Looking at course and speed shows the following:

View attachment 103936

It was heading off at around 93°, so on the map that's the green line, with range rings shown at 2 km and 5 km. I'm afraid that your chances of finding it are rather low.

View attachment 103935
Thanks for the explanation. I thought when connection with controller get lost the drone will land automatically after 12 seconds but it seems this is wrong understanding. I was search in the area after calculations based on this assumption.
I agree that there is no chance to find it.
Thanks again!

I know it’s too late now, but for your future drones consider putting a sticker on them with “reward if found, xxx-xxx-xxxx” and add your phone number. Also download an app like UAV which will tell you if it’s good to fly or not.
Yes, completely agree.
Thank you!

Thanks all for your analysis and advise.
I appreciate your time in looking at this.
Lesson learnt in a hard way but we are here to learn from our mistakes.
I know that I am not the first one and I will not be the last one to loss a drone, but I consider be more careful specially when I am green and new in this hobby.

Reactions: kamidoko1974
Really Thank you to those who shared their time and experience here about analyzing this situation.
This is my expectation from such forum, people should help each other even by a single piece of info.

I am learning from my mistakes and learning how to consider external factors that can cause such incidents.
Learning never comes for free, it comes with cost specially negative feeling and self-blaming, however lesson learnt and will keep-on :)

Talk to you later good people in other consulting situations, hopefully complementary one with no negative results.

@sar104, you never cease to amaze me with how helpful and non-condescending you are. The level of detail and consideration in your posts and analysis breakdown, its something that deserves recognition.

I'm sorry this happened OP. I've been stubborn with my MM before, but learned not to overestimate its capability. Its impressive how well you're taking it, I am certain I'd be a little more bitter about it.

Reactions: sar104
Check out the telemetry file in the DJI fly app. Locate exactly where your drone was when it locked contact. Then use that as a starting point for your search. Pay attention to what your altitude was when it lost contact.

Hi All,
Yesterday I was flying my new mavic mini with wrong estimation for wind and once I started to fly, the wind pushed the drone away, I lost control of the drone and accidentally my mobile restarted so I lost sight of the drone physically and at my mobile.
Since this moment, I don't know where is my drone and when I checked "Find my drone" I found it away from me by 134m at altitude 21m which is the moment I lost connection.
Since yesterday, I am searching in the area surrounded by last seen location with average consideration of 12 second of automatic landing, direction of wind and speed of the drone.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find it.
I am new to the drone world so I am not sure if I mad something wrong to loss it, however definitely wrong estimation for the wind strength was primary for this accident.

1. Could you please help me to know if there is any way to identify the location of drone while it's powered off? Here is the short fly log and its analysis at Airdata:
  2. Can "DJI support" help in finding my drone or it's my responsibility? I don't even registered in DJI care, another mistake I guess... I can't reach to support team now as it's weekend and they are available only during working week days :(

All you advises and opinion will be appreciated but please let's avoid criticizing flying in high wind as I know its a primary mistake.
Thanks in advance.
That’s a sad occurrence. One suggestion that helped me find mine when I lost contact is to, on a map draw a straight line from the last recorded position to your home point that was also recorded. As soon as signal is lost the drone is programmed to stop and go straight to the RTH height and then head back on a straight line towards Home. If you can plot that line then, given the known wind direction, you might be able to identify a sensible search area.

Perhaps, due to the wind speed, it had decided to land immediately rather than RTH. Still it might have started back on that straight line.

I know the feeling of wanting to fly despite the wind. The mini is surprisingly capable but has its limits so patience is a virtue but it takes time to fine tune when you can get away with it and when not.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada