DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Love my Mavic 2 Pro, But a Little Exasperated :/

Anisoptera

Reactions
My husband bought me a Mavic 2 Pro for Christmas thinking I could take my photography to a new "level". I then began reading the FAA rules, ok, cool. I registered as a hobbyist, (for now) & bought the ID stickers from reclaim drone, no big deal they blend. I'm well over 5 miles (I live in the middle of nowhere) from a small airport in NV and find I can't fly without FAA approval - (class e controlled airspace) my local airport manager laughed when I phoned him - it was an interesting conversation lol. I'm 59 years old, I'm cautious, responsible, I follow the rules, and I can't fly anywhere near my home. So I guess I'll study for the 107 certification that will allow me to utilize LAANC auth which I can't use as a hobbyist.

Which airport is it? How do you know that you are actually in Class E airspace? Have you looked at the VFR sectionals to determine that you are in airspace that extends to the surface? It seems unlikely that this would be the case if you are in a rural area and over 5 miles from the nearest airport.

Does anyone know the actual legalities of a Drone in Class E?, it's my understanding that Class E is only controlled for IFR flight and VFR flight remains uncontrolled, one could certainly argue that drone flight is VFR*

*except for those range leaderboard kiddies and other idiots, but apparently rules don't apply to them

Does anyone know the actual legalities of a Drone in Class E?, it's my understanding that Class E is only controlled for IFR flight and VFR flight remains uncontrolled, one could certainly argue that drone flight is VFR*

*except for those range leaderboard kiddies and other idiots, but apparently rules don't apply to them
It's true that IFR flights are controlled by ATC in Class E and VFR crafts are not, but this really has nothing to due with drone flight. You're still in controlled airspace if you're in Class E, but it would be difficult to get into Class E unless it extended to ground level, and this is usually only in close proximity to an airport or near navigational aids. That's why I am interested to see what airport the OP is referring to.

Reactions: OldBlueHeron

Under Part 107 flying in surface Class E requires an authorization or waiver. Under Part 101 (for now) there is no general restriction or authorization requirement - just the requirement to notify any airports within 5 miles.

Which airport is it? How do you know that you are actually in Class E airspace? Have you looked at the VFR sectionals to determine that you are in airspace that extends to the surface? It seems unlikely that this would be the case if you are in a rural area and over 5 miles from the nearest airport.

I'm using the Airmap app, which tells me I am in controlled airspace. The airport is Tonopah, NV Airport

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
If you are past the five mile limit, something else is wrong. Unless you plan on trying to make $ with a drone, you may want to research a little more. The key word there is “trying”.

I'm an artist, and I take my own reference photos for paintings. This drone will enable me to get a completely different perspective, and reach places I am physically unable to get to. So, nope, I don't plan on trying to make money "directly".

Reactions: IgorD2

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d