DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Love my Mavic 2 Pro, But a Little Exasperated :/

Thank you so much! Now, just need the weather to cooperate. Beautiful picture!
So you live out near Tikaboo peek? Beautiful out there but I can understand the confusion as the Air Force think they own the whole states Airspace with all the testing they do between Indian Springs and Edwards AFB California. Theres a guy on youtube known as the " Area 51Rider" and he travels every in and around all those testing areas but he also flies his Mavic Pro out there as well and he knows the regulations for AirSpace and boundry markers. My only advice is to look him up on his channel and send him a message via YT. He camps out there for weeks at a time.. If he cant help you which I'd be surprised if he couldn't,then he can definitely recommend someone who will .. Everyone knows him out in them parts, you might even know who I'm talking about.I.Hope this helps a little ! Good Luck

My husband bought me a Mavic 2 Pro for Christmas thinking I could take my photography to a new "level". I then began reading the FAA rules, ok, cool. I registered as a hobbyist, (for now) & bought the ID stickers from reclaim drone, no big deal they blend. I'm well over 5 miles (I live in the middle of nowhere) from a small airport in NV and find I can't fly without FAA approval - (class e controlled airspace) my local airport manager laughed when I phoned him - it was an interesting conversation lol. I'm 59 years old, I'm cautious, responsible, I follow the rules, and I can't fly anywhere near my home. So I guess I'll study for the 107 certification that will allow me to utilize LAANC auth which I can't use as a hobbyist.
what is name of the airport?
sorry, I did see your post, before I answer this question.

Tonopah airport has Class-E extended-to-the-ground for a radius of 8NM from the airport. If you are inside that circle (with a couple of short extensions) then using LAANC may be best/easiest. If you are outside of that circle, Class-E is at 700' AGL up to about 10NM from the airport and should not be an issue for a drone. Beyond 10NM Class-E is at 1200' AGL, again no issues. Otherwise, restricted areas are to the south and east beyond 10NM. Military Operating Areas are off to the east beyond about 15NM.

Tonopah airport has Class-E extended-to-the-ground for a radius of 8NM from the airport. If you are inside that circle (with a couple of short extensions) then using LAANC may be best/easiest. If you are outside of that circle, Class-E is at 700' AGL up to about 10NM from the airport and should not be an issue for a drone. Beyond 10NM Class-E is at 1200' AGL, again no issues. Otherwise, restricted areas are to the south and east beyond 10NM. Military Operating Areas are off to the east beyond about 15NM.
on point.

Reactions: Anisoptera
My husband bought me a Mavic 2 Pro for Christmas thinking I could take my photography to a new "level". I then began reading the FAA rules, ok, cool. I registered as a hobbyist, (for now) & bought the ID stickers from reclaim drone, no big deal they blend. I'm well over 5 miles (I live in the middle of nowhere) from a small airport in NV and find I can't fly without FAA approval - (class e controlled airspace) my local airport manager laughed when I phoned him - it was an interesting conversation lol. I'm 59 years old, I'm cautious, responsible, I follow the rules, and I can't fly anywhere near my home. So I guess I'll study for the 107 certification that will allow me to utilize LAANC auth which I can't use as a hobbyist.

Class E airspace starts at 700 or 1200 ft agl (Above Ground Level). If you're 5 miles from your local airport, you can fly. Remember, your maximum drone altitude is 400' (-in the US), so you'll have no conflict.

Class E airspace starts at 700 or 1200 ft agl (Above Ground Level). If you're 5 miles from your local airport, you can fly. Remember, your maximum drone altitude is 400' (-in the US), so you'll have no conflict.

Thank you for the confirmation - I rarely fly above 250ft, still getting to know my Mavic.

Airmap and others can be a little hard to read as they show inner and outer circles (the inverted cone for restrictions at different altitudes). You may have to attempt a launch at a particular location to know for sure. In traveling along the eastern U.S., I've discovered that these NFZ's are EVERYWHERE. It's quite frustrating with NFZ circles overlapping each other and I'm trying to find a worthy destination between them.

My location is just outside of Washington, DC and I have a 15 mile radius from National Airport to contend with, requiring a bit of a drive. Unfortunately for me, there are a lot of great flying destinations within that radius. It is what it is.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sathwik